Will you get vaccinated if one is available in 6 months?

What say you!?

• Total voters

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
The swiftness with which it has been dismissed reeks of sound scientific process of going through phase 1 to 3 of clinical trials instead of just 1 and 2.

Maybe their vaccine is efficient and safe, but right now they have no data to prove it. They are taking a huge risk.
Well, how do I say this.. I don’t believe that clinical trials are the only ways to determine safety and efficacy. They are one very effective, but also very lengthy process to get there. To have arrived at a vaccine candidate in the first place, requires an indescribable working knowledge of the subject- so far beyond any of our comprehension that I wouldn't dare to say I know anything about it. This knowledge allows study to take place at levels other than raw numbers of large-scale trials. I see a campaign of ‘shielding’ taking place- where western govts/journalists simply dont want the conversation to dare consider the value of this vaccine under any context outside of trial data. This is very telling IMO.

Many of the same hallmark mass-media techniques we see applied to other past topics now known to have been misunderstood and misrepresented are present in the way this is being presented today.

Its a campaign of “this is the way it is, you see because the rules prove it. Any other viewpoint is invalid; they don’t follow our rules thus cannot be taken seriously”.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well, how do I say this.. I don’t believe that clinical trials are the only ways to determine safety and efficacy. They are one very effective, but also very lengthy process to get there. To have arrived at a vaccine candidate in the first place, requires an indescribable working knowledge of the subject- so far beyond any of our comprehension that I wouldn't dare to say I know anything about it. This knowledge allows study to take place at levels other than raw numbers of large-scale trials. I see a campaign of ‘shielding’ taking place- where western govts/journalists simply dont want the conversation to dare consider the value of this vaccine under any context outside of trial data. This is very telling IMO.

Many of the same hallmark mass-media techniques we see applied to other past topics now known to have been misunderstood and misrepresented are present in the way this is being presented today.

Its a campaign of “this is the way it is, you see because the rules prove it. Any other viewpoint is invalid; they don’t follow our rules thus cannot be taken seriously”.

So basically, you have no idea what you are talking about and you are just spewing whatever fantasy you want, got it.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I’d wait a year and see how the first people have reacted
Even than the long term effects are unknown

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Absolutely not! This is barely anything to be worried about, let alone needing to get a vaccine for it. When 95+% of the people who catch it, either have no symptoms or mild flu like symptoms it isn't some heavy plague or something. Then of the small % of people who both get it and unfortunately die, the % of those people who didn't already have compromised immune systems is a micro %.

You literally have a much higher chance of getting hit by a car tomorrow than either catching or dying from Covid, and we aren't refraining from driving.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I can't believe people still use this analogy. Car crashes aren't contagious.

And Covid is really not very contagious at all either. There is a megachurch in the US with 1000s of members who have been gathering for most of this Covid run, with none of them wearing masks or social distancing and not one of them has any issues. If it was as contagious as they say it is, way way way more people would have it and be spreading it, and you certainly wouldn't have a close together group of 100s or 1000s where all of them don't catch it. I have 100s of extended family, as well as a cousin with more than double as many as mine, and only 2 of those people had it, and both very minor if any symptoms. My cousin's mom came into contact with one of those 2 that did catch it, and she has an extremely poor immune symptom and she didn't catch it. She gets 3-5 flu viruses among many other ailments every year and nothing, surely she should have caught it. If this was the plague that it has been driven as, we wouldn't have so few catching it, so many gathering all together and none catching it, even when they come into contact with carriers of it.

And that doesn't even touch the fact that many who have it have microscopic amounts of it anyways. There are also many doctors who say that we all have some covid in us all the time, which will inevitably increase the amount of people that actually "have" covid if they are tested for it.

Reactions: hn777

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And Covid is really not very contagious at all either. There is a megachurch in the US with 1000s of members who have been gathering for most of this Covid run, with none of them wearing masks or social distancing and not one of them has any issues. If it was as contagious as they say it is, way way way more people would have it and be spreading it, and you certainly wouldn't have a close together group of 100s or 1000s where all of them don't catch it. I have 100s of extended family, as well as a cousin with more than double as many as mine, and only 2 of those people had it, and both very minor if any symptoms. My cousin's mom came into contact with one of those 2 that did catch it, and she has an extremely poor immune symptom and she didn't catch it. She gets 3-5 flu viruses among many other ailments every year and nothing, surely she should have caught it. If this was the plague that it has been driven as, we wouldn't have so few catching it, so many gathering all together and none catching it, even when they come into contact with carriers of it.

And that doesn't even touch the fact that many who have it have microscopic amounts of it anyways. There are also many doctors who say that we all have some covid in us all the time, which will inevitably increase the amount of people that actually "have" covid if they are tested for it.
it's far more contagious than you're willing to admit.

There are also many doctors who say that we all have some covid in us all the time, which will inevitably increase the amount of people that actually "have" covid if they are tested for it.
Do you actually have sources for this claim?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I posted this in the general thread. Might as well put it here too.
Leader of U.S. vaccine push says he‘ll quit if politics trumps science

It answers a lot of questions. You need to read the entire interview.

Q: You also have a history of being politically active. As a university student in Belgium, you were politically active. It's in your blood: Your father, who resisted the French occupation of Morocco, was politically active. For you to now say there's nothing political about Operation Warp Speed? Politics is all over this. And I wonder how you deal with political decisions that you disagree with.
A:
I would immediately resign if there is undue interference in this process.
Q: If you see an EUA push you don’t believe in, you’re out?
A:
I’m out. I have to say there has been absolutely no interference. Despite my past, which is still my present, I am still the same person with the same values. The pandemic is much bigger than that. Before being a political person with convictions, humanity has always been my objective.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
In Norway I think we are still working on a settlement for those that probably got narcolepsy from the swine flu vaccine.

Narcolepsy Following 2009 Pandemrix Influenza Vaccination in Europe | Vaccine Safety | CDC

I have nothing against vaccines and I have taken more than most due to having lived in China and traveled to Africa etc., but I really can't see me taking this one. The only reason I could see right now would be if countries start to require being vaccinated to be allowed to enter.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’ve had household family members test + and I lived with them so I have certainly been exposed so I likely have immunity or had/have it and have antibodies.

By the time they develop a reliable vaccine the likelihood of needing it might not be worth any perceived risk.

Reactions: hn777

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
So basically, you have no idea what you are talking about and you are just spewing whatever fantasy you want, got it.
I’m quite confident the vaccine is legitimate, time will tell and perhaps you’ll recall this debate.

You can read my post again, and choose some form of meaningful response; otherwise I wont go further down the road of personal insult you’ve resorted to in lieu of having anything thoughtful to contribute.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I’m quite confident the vaccine is legitimate, time will tell and perhaps you’ll recall this debate.

You can read my post again, and choose some form of meaningful response; otherwise I wont go further down the road of personal insult you’ve resorted to in lieu of having anything thoughtful to contribute.

You have said yourself that you do not know anything about the subject.

The only way to prove a vaccine is safe and efficient is through a phase 3 clinical trial. Anybody with a background in the field can tell you so.

We know the Russian vaccine generates a immune response, we learned that with the phase 1/2. However, we do not know if that response is protective. We also don't know the rare side effects as it was only tested on a few hundred people.

I am sure the Russian vaccine is legitimate as well, but anybody claiming it is safe and effective just doesn't have the data to back it up. It might end up fine and be safe and effective, but why take the risk?

It's like playing Russian roulette with one person just going for it (Russia) while the other checks the chamber to see if it's loaded (rest of world). The former might not die, but the latter is making sure he doesn't.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Absolutely not! This is barely anything to be worried about, let alone needing to get a vaccine for it. When 95+% of the people who catch it, either have no symptoms or mild flu like symptoms it isn't some heavy plague or something. Then of the small % of people who both get it and unfortunately die, the % of those people who didn't already have compromised immune systems is a micro %.

You literally have a much higher chance of getting hit by a car tomorrow than either catching or dying from Covid, and we aren't refraining from driving.
For young healthy people what your saying is mostly right.

I’ll get the vaccine if it helps getting rid of the virus. I’m not to worried about getting sick from Covid, but my god this virus has been bad for business.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I won't. Since one of my relatives got a narcolepsy from some similar "Let's avoid one flu"-vaccine, I'm not taking any for this kind of stuff.

And there's a large percentage of world health experts who are perfectly fine with small percentage people getting a "treatable" condition like narcolepsy or Type 1 Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis or Grave's Disease if a vaccine causes a small percentage people dying immediately. This is my problem.

The research showing even the connection between Type 1 Diabetes and vaccines is ignored and disconnected because of the treat it has to "world health" if people stop vaccinating kids - because polio or measles are apparently worse than Type 1 Diabetes to them.

The study my sister was taking part in at USC for triggers for Graves Disease went no where because honestly - they don't want to know what triggers it. It very well could have been the flu vaccine.

But would any doctors really care if the flu vaccine caused Diabetes, Graves or MS? No. Nor would they care if the coronavirus causes long term autoimmune diseases because they see these conditions as "treatable".

This paper from 2007 discounted the risk of autoimmune thyroid conditions to the Hep B vaccine (Hepatitis B vaccine and risk of autoimmune thyroid disease: a Vaccine Safety Datalink study - PubMed) but never actually looked at how many people developed the condition after other vaccines. Further research has gone no where because of the risk it might prevent people from taking the vaccine. My sister was part of a proposed study at USC which never got funded. As the identical twin of someone with Graves, I wondered if I should be a guinea pig but it was never proposed. The risk of these vaccines triggering autoimmune diseases in those genetically predisposed is would ruin vaccination programs since genetic testing is too expensive and most people refuse to do it.

For Graves, experts like to claim it's an autoimmune condition with genetic susceptibility which is triggered by stress. Stress? Stress causes the body to attack the thyroid gland. Is this like ulcers were caused by stress? What causes the immune system to become active? Viruses.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What causes the immune system to become active? Viruses.
Allergies also.

Allergies are the immune system reacting to harmless things like pollen, peanuts etc.

That's why it's so important for kids to get dirty playing in the mud. Gives their immune systems practice to learn what it needs to do its job properly.

It's why the overuse of antibiotic soap is so bad for society.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
The long-term effects of a vaccine aren't known, but neither are that of Covid. You can't denounce one approach, while completely ignoring the possible ramifications of the other. We are seeing even healthy people develop heart and lung related issues within months of becoming infected. Who can say, for certain, those issues won't lead to increased risk of heart attack, lung disease, etc down the road? Or that contracting the virus could unknowingly weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to other viruses or illnesses? Who's to say the virus can't lay dormant and reactivate later on in life? Hell, we don't even know if immunity lasts even a full year at this point.

This current way of life sucks. The less people get vaccinated, the longer we'll be social distancing, wearing masks, destroying businesses and industries, increasing mental health problems, etc. Herd immunity isn't happening anytime soon. Never getting vaccinated pretty much guarantees you'll get infected some day. It's a lousy situation, no two ways about it. You're taking a risk no matter what you choose to do, whether you believe it or not.

I want to get on with life again and do all that I can to help protect my parents.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Canada
75% Here's how many Canadians would choose to take a COVID-19 vaccine: poll
68.3% One out of six Canadians won't get COVID-19 vaccine once available: poll
68% https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...ntual-covid-19-vaccine-survey-shows-1.5674394

Also, not very surprising: Most Canadians would get COVID-19 vaccine: survey - NEWS 1130
“Vaccination willingness hovers around nine-in-ten for those who supported the Liberal Party and NDP in the last federal election, while it drops to 64 per cent among those who supported the CPC,” the survey reads.

USA

65% One in Three Americans Would Not Get COVID-19 Vaccine

COVID-19: Two-thirds in US won't take vaccine right away, poll shows
The USA TODAY/Suffolk Poll found that about two-thirds of the 1,000 voters surveyed – 67% – would either not take the vaccine until others have tried it (44%) or not take it at all (23%)
The other third of respondents were split between those who said they would take the vaccine as soon as it's available (27%) or those who were undecided (6%). Those 75 and older were by far the likeliest to say they would get the vaccine right away.

44% Poll: Less than half of Americans say they'll get a coronavirus vaccine

Among adults who have at least graduated from college or have graduated from college with further education, 56 percent say they would get a vaccine, while just 16 percent say they wouldn't. When those who have completed postgraduate degrees were asked, 68 percent say they would get vaccinated and just 9 percent say they and their families wouldn't.
The numbers dramatically decline when the question is asked of adults who received high school degrees or less and those who completed only some college. Thirty-six percent of adults who completed high school or less say they would get vaccinated, while 27 percent say they wouldn't and 34 percent say they aren't sure. Thirty-eight percent of those with "some college" education say they would get vaccinated, 26 percent say they wouldn't and 35 percent say they're unsure.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vaccine has to be taken again every 4 months apparently, until a working one comes out, but I guess it's better then nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->