Will you continue to watch NHL playoffs when all Canadian teams are out?

Will you continue to watch NHL playoffs when all Canadian teams are out?

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When you can name a U S city that produces as many NHL players as Toronto, hell would have frozen over.

It’s a good thing southern Ontario is producing hockey players. Apparently only family members of NHL players are watching.

Not just NHL hockey, Leafs playoff games themshelves have only been able to drew 2 million viewers in average in all of Canada. That's down 1.5 to 2 mils compared to 2004. It has a lot to do with cord cutters, immigrants (they would rather watch Raptors and FC), and the on ice products from the Leafs in the past decade and half.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Interesting comments all around. I watch the Leafs first and Jets second. After that I watch Canadian teams. Then it is over for me for the NHL. I am sick of fact that since Bettman took league over NO Canadian teams have won a Cup. So rightly or wrongly I feel the fix is in. Until Bettman gets ousted by Leafs and Habs we will probably have more of the same going on. It will happen at some point because those 2 teams are a third of NHL cash flow. All they have to do is stop funding Bettman plans and Bettman is done irrespective of Bettman/Jacobs deal.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
TBH, if this game tonight so much as smells funny from the officiating on down, probably not. I may even take a hockey hiatus as far as the NHL is concerned.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Interesting comments all around. I watch the Leafs first and Jets second. After that I watch Canadian teams. Then it is over for me for the NHL. I am sick of fact that since Bettman took league over NO Canadian teams have won a Cup. So rightly or wrongly I feel the fix is in. Until Bettman gets ousted by Leafs and Habs we will probably have more of the same going on. It will happen at some point because those 2 teams are a third of NHL cash flow. All they have to do is stop funding Bettman plans and Bettman is done irrespective of Bettman/Jacobs deal.

Lord Stanley has US citizenship.

Speaking of new homes, since Torontonians don’t like hockey, perhaps the Hockey Hall should be moved to Montreal where it will be appreciated. Not too mention it’s a much nicer city to visit anyway.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lord Stanley has US citizenship.

Speaking of new homes, since Torontonians don’t like hockey, perhaps the Hockey Hall should be moved to Montreal where it will be appreciated. Not too mention it’s a much nicer city to visit anyway.
Good idea but I think Bettman would secretly like it moved to NYC. I don't know if that is true but I have heard it from a few people. But no one on the Hall board.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Of course I will keep watching, because I'm a hockey fan and # of Canadian based teams would have little impact on that.

I buy the Centre Ice hockey package each season and watch 100's on NHL games in addition to all my Leaf games every season.

PS. Even If Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver were the only Canadian teams left, I'd actually be cheering for the opposition in their series. ;)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
No sorry. Better things to do.
But will check the final scores hoping for Isles & bruins elimination, and Blues winning the cup, just cause of Bozak and Steen.
Blues to win because of Bozak and Steen (and Gunnarsson?), but not Isles because of Komarov and Martin?:huh::laugh:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Of course I will keep watching, because I'm a hockey fan and # of Canadian based teams would have little impact on that.

I buy the Centre Ice hockey package each season and watch 100's on NHL games in addition to all my Leaf games every season.

PS. Even If Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver were the only Canadian teams left, I'd actually be cheering for the opposition in their series. ;)

This is how I pictured most hockey fans...

As it pertains to the NHL, Toronto is just Carolina with bad weather.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Gotta watch hockey! My league finished two weeks ago, and my summer league doesn't start for another two weeks.

I guess I'm a hockey fan first, and a Leafs fan (a close) second.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I’ll probably watch for the rest of the month until I cancel my vue subscription. I don’t really watch television often and only really pay to watch Leafs games. I don’t really have a strong preference towards any other remaining team but I guess it might be nice to see Jumbo Joe hoist the cup if the Sharks manage to get past Vegas.

Here’s hoping that we don’t have to stop watching anytime soon. I still have faith that the Leafs will conquer their demons and slay the Bruins.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I’ll probably watch for the rest of the month until I cancel my vue subscription. I don’t really watch television often and only really pay to watch Leafs games. I don’t really have a strong preference towards any other remaining team but I guess it might be nice to see Jumbo Joe hoist the cup if the Sharks manage to get past Vegas.

Here’s hoping that we don’t have to stop watching anytime soon. I still have faith that the Leafs will conquer their demons and slay the Bruins.
Yes that would be nice. If SJ has a chance to lift the Cup then I will tune into the final game of Cup series. But until then I am done with NHL.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
will be watching, hoping for Columbus to dismantle Boston, hoping MacKinnon dominates, Dallas looks good, St.Louis looks good too, very heart broken but at the end of the day Im a hockey fan, lots of time in the summer where there will be no hockey that is when im the saddest lol.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
if you have major Jr A in your vicinity, it's a good place to put your sport dollars

The game was officiated pretty well, the Chara punch should have been called. It was mostly Babs "strategy" that did us in. Freddy could have made that first save.

And yep.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Silly topic. Do I have to scan my passport to reply this thread?

Seriously?

There are so few successful Canadian teams. If one went by the Canada only policy, then one would rarely watch NHL playoffs.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
In order I was watching Leafs Jets Vegas.

That Vegas thing was so disappointing afterseeing the Leafs and Jets lose.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
  1. Silly topic. Do I have to scan my passport to reply this thread?

Seriously?

There are so few successful Canadian teams. If one went by the Canada only policy, then one would rarely watch NHL playoffs.
Not watching because the officiating and tax issues etc that make it hard for Canadian teams to compete. I look at what Matthews is paid and Nylander and if that's fair for Toronto, just forget about a cup. We can't compete.

julray

Mar 4, 2015
Columbus was a very exciting team to watch 1st round, curious if they bring the same tenacity against the Bruins and how they deal with it. Colorado seems like a fun team to watch out west. So seems like I'll be watching for the underdogs, :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
After Toronto was eliminated fans should have immediately stayed up and watched game #7 of the Vegas vs SJ game ..

It was outstanding and highly entertaining. That 3rd period might have been the best period of hockey all season.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Silly topic. Do I have to scan my passport to reply this thread?

Seriously?

It is very interesting that since Bettman took over NHL 25 years ago and moved the league office from Toronto to NYC that not 1 single Canadian team has WON the CUP. Absolute garbage. But a fact. The odds of this occurring is less than 1%. But of course Bettman is above that. Yeah right. We got lawyer hockey going on now. CAP hockey. Have fun with that BS.

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
Canadian teams aren't the factor, just the Leafs. Doesn't mean I don't ROOT for any Canadian teams if they're still alive, but I don't feel like killing my evening watching the Jets or Flames. Or any other team, Canada or USA.

I will drop everything and watch the Leafs on TV, every game, until they're eliminated (or win the Cup, as hope springs eternal) but once the Leafs are done, there are lots of other spring-time things that seem to take precedence and I don't just sit and watch TV at the expense of everything else, though the game might be on in the background from time to time.

When there's a chance the Cup will be awarded on a given night, I'll sit and watch the last period of that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad