Rumor: Will you bring a burger to the next home game???

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
A moral imperative? You know that existing in a developed country is virtually moral bankruptcy right?

Every coffee we buy for two dollars can feed people in poor countries. Every phone we buy, video game, fancy pair of jeans or decadent dessert or pair of sens tickets .. . all that money should go to less fortunate people.

People are starving to death because we spend so much money on ourselves. People kill themselves in factories that produce cheap merchandise that we eat up because the conditions are so terrible and they can barely afford to feed their families while working 16 hours a day.

But burger tossing . . . ice bucket challenges. . . that's where people draw the line. Its hypocritical, its nonsensical and it's smug.

Our entire existence, the luxuries we have are quite literally a result of countless others propping us up on their backs and suffering because of it.

Welcome to life.

Good post.

If you want to actually make a change in the world there are much better ways to do it than not tossing a burger.

Are the Sens missing a great opportunity to do some good? Without a doubt they are. But complaining about it isn't going to help anyone.

Rufio65*

Maybe we should stop tossing hats on the ice after a hat trick too. People are spending $20 and up on hats and just throw them away. - sarcasm-

Can’t we just enjoy rallying around a hot goalie and team in a playoff push? Instead of finding a reason to complain?
People are making mountains out of molehills over this. Should really expect anything less from the city that fun forgot.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Good post.

If you want to actually make a change in the world there are much better ways to do it than not tossing a burger.

Are the Sens missing a great opportunity to do some good? Without a doubt they are. But complaining about it isn't going to help anyone.

Giving a suggestion to throw another form of a burger, say a foam or cardboard version is not complaining. It is a suggestion.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
My grandparents saw first hand WWII. My Oma who was from the Netherlands would chew the gristle off of meat for hours until her dying day, because she was not allowed to waste an ounce of food. You're trying to preach to me about being smug, when it exactly you who is doing the same. I do not... let me repeat this, do not like wasting food of any kind. It pisses me off to no end. Chinese workers are starting to strike at various factories for better wages in their country, because they are tired of making so little and working so much. What happens then, when these corporations run out of slave labor? You think we have inflation now, just wait. We need to start producing locally, regarding food, regarding products and everything else. For the betterment of our people and people all over the world, not just for corporate greed which I guess you could say all of this is related to. Am I any better than you while living in this society? Probably not -- but at least I do my damnedest to not waste food. Any immigrant from any country that comes to Canada could teach us this lesson.

Anymore war stories? You do realize that everyone on here most likely has ancestors/grandparents that experienced the same during the war, the depression, famine, etc. Good for you for having never wasted food ever, you've shared your opinion. You see it as morally wrong that people can spend their money on food they intend to waste, but they have the freedom to do so.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Anymore war stories? You do realize that everyone on here most likely has ancestors/grandparents that experienced the same during the war, the depression, famine, etc. Good for you for having never wasted food ever, you've shared your opinion. You see it as morally wrong that people can spend their money on food they intend to waste, but they have the freedom to do so.

I am not suggesting anything about freedom. But if we would like to talk about it:

“Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect.†-- Eleanor Roosevelt

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What do you think it better for the environment a cheap, likely non-biodegradable plastic burger or a real burger?

no sarcasm, open question. since we are talking about environmental impact, which one is better for the environment only?

Well if you estimate the amount of cows that get slaughtered for burgers every game vs rubber burgers that get reused in the long run it probably would be rubber/foam

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
My grandparents saw first hand WWII. My Oma who was from the Netherlands would chew the gristle off of meat for hours until her dying day, because she was not allowed to waste an ounce of food. You're trying to preach to me about being smug, when it exactly you who is doing the same. I do not... let me repeat this, do not like wasting food of any kind. It pisses me off to no end. Chinese workers are starting to strike at various factories for better wages in their country, because they are tired of making so little and working so much. What happens then, when these corporations run out of slave labor? You think we have inflation now, just wait. We need to start producing locally, regarding food, regarding products and everything else. For the betterment of our people and people all over the world, not just for corporate greed which I guess you could say all of this is related to. Am I any better than you while living in this society? Probably not -- but at least I do my damnedest to not waste food. Any immigrant from any country that comes to Canada could teach us this lesson.

Im just pointing out the obvious. Throwing burgers on the ice is but the smallest of drops in an ocean of wastefulness and selfishness that is the civilized world.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
What do you think it better for the environment a cheap, likely non-biodegradable plastic burger or a real burger?

no sarcasm, open question. since we are talking about environmental impact, which one is better for the environment only?

A burger biodegrades... certainly. But I am not talking about a one off rubber burger. I am talking about reusing them until they are in tatters. There are also alternatives to petroleum plastic. Plants have proven they produce poly carbons that biodegrade. There is a lot in nature we still have no idea about.

So, we make bio rubber burgers? Could likely make them out of hemp. We legalize Marijuana and use the taxes to pay for it all.:sarcasm::naughty::laugh:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Well if you estimate the amount of cows that get slaughtered for burgers every game vs rubber burgers that get reused in the long run it probably would be rubber/foam

maybe 1% of a cow has been wasted on the burger throwing.

The horror! The humanity!! Won't somebody please think of the children??????

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
maybe 1% of a cow has been wasted on the burger throwing.

The horror! The humanity!! Won't somebody please think of the children??????

I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but huge resources go into producing meet that have a negative impact on the environment. Just saying that real burgers aren't more environmentally friendly than reusable.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
If I'm going to be judged for throwing burgers at a game, ill just throw them in the privacy of my own home.

SenatorArmy*

We should just start throwing entire cows on the ice just to see what the next level of outrage is

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but huge resources go into producing meet that have a negative impact on the environment. Just saying

you're 100% right. I remember some fact along the lines of if we stopped producing beef, given the massive amounts of resources it requires (food, water), the world would not be hungry. Not sure the truth to it, but it does make sense given the relatively large plots of land required for cows.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
North America produces and imports roughly twice as much food as we actually need to sustain ourselves. Getting mad at people for wasting a tiny fraction of this abundance and waste is ridiculous. It's like getting mad at someone for spilling water and not licking it up because it's wasteful when many people are starved for fresh water. Idealism to the point of absurdity, although I admire where it comes from.

That said, I'll be at the game sans burger. Carrying around a smelly McDonalds burger for hours is just not something I can handle.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
North America produces and imports roughly twice as much food as we actually need to sustain ourselves. Getting mad at people for wasting a tiny fraction of this abundance and waste is ridiculous. It's like getting mad at someone for spilling water and not licking it up because it's wasteful when many people are starved for fresh water. Idealism to the point of absurdity, although I admire where it comes from.

That said, I'll be at the game sans burger. Carrying around a smelly McDonalds burger for hours is just not something I can handle.

If I didn't have the flu today, I would be at work rather than at home discussing first world problems with a bunch of Senators compatriots.

All is fair in love and war I guess?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Alright... think this thread has run its course. We went political, kissed and made up, and the 'next home game' that the original post is long since passed as well.

If at some point CTC does something official about burgers, it's fair to start a new topic about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->