Rumor: Will you bring a burger to the next home game???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Remember, posts. Not posters.
I understand that there are some who feel strongly about the social justice side of things, but let's not turn this into another ice bucket debate about wasting water and attacking people individually.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I worked for Canada Bread and at the depot I worked at we would throw out $1,000+ of bread on a daily basis. Who cares about a few hamburgers?

Who cares what people spend their money on? After living in Ottawa for 3 years I can safely say that it is the city that fun forgot. Wow.

Who says that fun cannot be had with a foam burger that gets reused and gives money towards the food bank? It's a $1 or $2... My grandparents grew up in WWII, where you didn't waste a scrap of food. Sorry that I was brought up with these morals and nobody here understands that. The fact that we are even arguing about this proves how spoiled this fan base and Canadians in general are.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Seriously people, stop being so wasteful

wnUsjWQ.png

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I worked for Canada Bread and at the depot I worked at we would throw out $1,000+ of bread on a daily basis. Who cares about a few hamburgers?

Who cares what people spend their money on? After living in Ottawa for 3 years I can safely say that it is the city that fun forgot. Wow.

I worked at McD's wayyyy back in the day and can say that lots of food got turfed every day. Timmy's same....any bakery....same. I know Timmy's (atleast some) donated to the Shepard's of Good Hope. McD's never donated any of the food.

If you're gonna protest this, I expect to see you protesting every kids egg-throwing competition as well....easter's coming up, let's round up all the pre-schoolers who waste eggs just to paint them? Whats that all about?

Let's not stop at food, water is a valuable resource folks....water-balloons, water guns, wading pools, splash pads be gone!

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I worked at McD's wayyyy back in the day and can say that lots of food got turfed every day. Timmy's same....any bakery....same. I know Timmy's (atleast some) donated to the Shepard's of Good Hope. McD's never donated any of the food.

If you're gonna protest this, I expect to see you protesting every kids egg-throwing competition as well....easter's coming up, let's round up all the pre-schoolers who waste eggs just to paint them? Whats that all about?

Let's not stop at food, water is a valuable resource folks....water-balloons, water guns, wading pools, splash pads be gone!

I know McDonalds food waste is unreal. Even the cardboard they do not recycle.

Let's just do drugs and then eat the burgers everyone's a winner there.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

There is no need to go over the top. Let me be perfectly honest when I say that I would like to see a lot of these fast food chains shut down. But that is political and not for this forum.

I am saying that there has to be some sort of moral imperative here. Fun does not come without paying the piper.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Who says that fun cannot be had with a foam burger that gets reused and gives money towards the food bank? It's a $1 or $2... My grandparents grew up in WWII, where you didn't waste a scrap of food. Sorry that I was brought up with these morals and nobody here understands that. The fact that we are even arguing about this proves how spoiled this fan base and Canadians in general are.

You live in Alberta and you're worried about 10-20 burgers a game going to waste? Yikes, like you're provinces economy use to be, that's a bit rich don't you think? ;)

Am I the only person who was ever been in a food fight?

Wanna talk about food waste?
La Tomatina uses roughly 40 metric TONS for their festival....

There are significantly more valid things to protest against....

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know if you guys ever watch master chef but I watch them all and they waste food like it's going out of style too.

And what do they do with that pantry? I always feel bad wasting produce and what not.

Rufio65*

If someone wants to donate money to a food bank they can do so, they have that choice. If someone wants to purchase a hamburger and throw it on the ice they can do so.. they might get ejected but that is their choice.

I am not going to tell anyone how to spend or donate their money.. just as I don't expect anyone to tell me how to spend my money. There are way bigger fish to fry. Just enjoy the ride.. this kind of run is unheard of. Soak it in.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I'm not thinking about this from any larger social good. I think I'm being much more immediately practical.

If where a way to prevent stuff getting thrown of the ice before the final buzzer (not just end of the third, but when the game is actually over), I'd be all for it, but short of putting the netting around the whole rink there isn't.

When crap gets on the ice while there's still game to play, it's a risk to the team (2 minutes for delay of game) and to players on both sides and the officials - what if KT of JGP slips on some ketchup or a pickle that got missed in clean up and breaks his ankle?

Since there will always be door knobs that don't understand this (no one reading this), I think the only sane thing to do is discourage throwing stuff at all. You can't give 19000 IQ tests on the way into the arena.

Note: When it first happened, and even when CL picked up and started munching on the burger, it made me smile. The first time with one burger was truly an inspired and authentic moment, but I was afraid it would quickly get out of hand with everyone going "me too" - especially the people who don't understand.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
You live in Alberta and you're worried about 10-20 burgers a game going to waste? Yikes, like you're provinces economy use to be, that's a bit rich don't you think? ;)

Am I the only person who was ever been in a food fight?

Wanna talk about food waste?
La Tomatina uses roughly 40 metric TONS for their festival....

There are significantly more valid things to protest against....

When I was a kid we had mud fights and I wouldn't be talking about our economy so readily when Quebec Students are marching against austerity in Montreal.

Senafan

May 17, 2013
Could care less about the supposed food wastage going on...will be far more annoyed if the team starts getting penalised due to some over enthusiastic burger tossing.

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
There is no need to go over the top. Let me be perfectly honest when I say that I would like to see a lot of these fast food chains shut down. But that is political and not for this forum.

I am saying that there has to be some sort of moral imperative here. Fun does not come without paying the piper.

A moral imperative? You know that existing in a developed country is virtually moral bankruptcy right?

Every coffee we buy for two dollars can feed people in poor countries. Every phone we buy, video game, fancy pair of jeans or decadent dessert or pair of sens tickets .. . all that money should go to less fortunate people.

People are starving to death because we spend so much money on ourselves. People kill themselves in factories that produce cheap merchandise that we eat up because the conditions are so terrible and they can barely afford to feed their families while working 16 hours a day.

But burger tossing . . . ice bucket challenges. . . that's where people draw the line. Its hypocritical, its nonsensical and it's smug.

Our entire existence, the luxuries we have are quite literally a result of countless others propping us up on their backs and suffering because of it.

Welcome to life.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
When I was a kid we had mud fights and I wouldn't be talking about our economy so readily when Quebec Students are marching against austerity in Montreal.

Dude, calm down I was just kidding, but if you want to compare students protesting to the tar sands, so be it.... Please don't hold it against me and vote Harper in again ;)

SenatorArmy*

Where's the Sens P.R. and marketing departments here? Here's a real opportunity to do a real good thing for charity. I like the rubber burger idea (or foam). Or make some kind of intermission burger toss game. Either way this is a great chance to make significant donations to Food Banks EVERY home game. Just find a safe way to do it.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
A moral imperative? You know that existing in a developed country is virtually moral bankruptcy right?

Every coffee we buy for two dollars can feed people in poor countries. Every phone we buy, video game, fancy pair of jeans or decadent dessert or pair of sens tickets .. . all that money should go to less fortunate people.

People are starving to death because we spend so much money on ourselves. People kill themselves in factories that produce cheap merchandise that we eat up because the conditions are so terrible and they can barely afford to feed their families while working 16 hours a day.

But burger tossing . . . ice bucket challenges. . . that's where people draw the line. Its hypocritical, its nonsensical and it's smug.

Our entire existence, the luxuries we have are quite literally a result of countless others propping us up on their backs and suffering because of it.

Welcome to life.

Spot on

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Where's the Sens P.R. and marketing departments here? Here's a real opportunity to do a real good thing for charity. I like the rubber burger idea (or foam). Or make some kind of intermission burger toss game. Either way this is a great chance to make significant donations to Food Banks EVERY home game. Just find a safe way to do it.

Really. Get some rubber burgers to sell and give all money raised to the Ronald McDonald House.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Welcome to life.

My thoughts exactly. We can make ourselves feel bad about it or just live and let live.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Every coffee we buy for two dollars can feed people in poor countries. Every phone we buy, video game, fancy pair of jeans or decadent dessert .. . all that money should go to less fortunate people.

Welcome to life.

My grandparents saw first hand WWII. My Oma who was from the Netherlands would chew the gristle off of meat for hours until her dying day, because she was not allowed to waste an ounce of food. You're trying to preach to me about being smug, when it exactly you who is doing the same. I do not... let me repeat this, do not like wasting food of any kind. It pisses me off to no end. Chinese workers are starting to strike at various factories for better wages in their country, because they are tired of making so little and working so much. What happens then, when these corporations run out of slave labor? You think we have inflation now, just wait. We need to start producing locally, regarding food, regarding products and everything else. For the betterment of our people and people all over the world, not just for corporate greed which I guess you could say all of this is related to. Am I any better than you while living in this society? Probably not -- but at least I do my damnedest to not waste food. Any immigrant from any country that comes to Canada could teach us this lesson.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012

Welcome to life.

Beautiful!

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

Maybe they are stuck going thru the legal department...lol

despite rats being thrown in Florida and Octupus in Detroit, I don't think they are promoted per se, by sales of said objects. Blind eye is turned for sure.

So I'm sure the legal department has said we can't do anything to promote it, cause then we will be liable to any damage it causes. Keep in mind that the terms and conditions of purchasing a ticket is that you can't throw stuff on the ice. THe Sens can't void their own condition.

By letting fans do it, unpunished are they willfully blind? possibly, but more importantly, do I care? lol. Nope. I like this organic-type phenomenon thats occurring personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->