Will you agree or like a post by someone you don't like?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Yep. I probably hit 'like' four or five times more often than I post. Maybe more, now that I think about it. I usually try to read through a thread before I'll post in it, so I end up going through a lot of content before adding my own.

Yup, and that's a good thing. I disagree with people around here on a lot of hockey things, especially on my team board, but at the end of the day it's just our thoughts on a thing we watch in our spare time. I have more serious disagreements with people on the (politics board), but I'll still like their hockey takes on the main board if they're good takes. It's only a message board, I don't heff to be med.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I admire some posters, like Killion. Never hated or disliked any fellow posters though. As someone said, good argument is a good argument. And I tend to hit the like button on a funny joke whoever told it. Even if somebody argues or disagrees with me I can hit like if the post is reasonable. My own posts are a combination of high quality analysis and low quality banter so I'm always glad if somebody likes my ramblings. Thank you fellas.

member 300185

There was a guy on here 4 or 5 years ago. His name was Maxnapster if my memory is correct.

He had a purely genius hockey mind. But he also had a trashy attitude. I was just a lurker back then but I remember thinking I will just join and let him have it.

He made incredible hockey observations but the next post he would call people every name in the book. A real tool.

People got sick of him. He had no friends. He also brought real conflict to the boards. He was upsetting everyone. He finally went overboard and I am not sure if he was banned or just quit.

The point is, we all fall into those traps of wanting to just trash someone. I fell for it myself. The mods look after these boards so well and they don't get enough credit but they see guys like Maxnapster coming a mile away. Never takes long to get rid of the trouble makers. But even guys like him made some amazing posts, just to bad 50% of his posts were dumpster fires.

There was another guy of similar infamy, but I cant remember his name.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
My take:

People are way too gun-heavy with the ignore button. My advice: don't be so weak-minded that you can't read opposing opinion. I don't ignore any of the main board Leafs haters. I legitimately get a kick out of it. The Leafs board is horrible with this. There's a group of about 10 or so posters who are just so dead-set on everything being unicorns, fairies and candy that when you try to inject a little reality into the situation, the discussion just gets destroyed because they just can't handle that you have an opposing opinion that's not positive.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
The Canucks board is full of dissent and bickering these days, but for the most part everyone, no matter how extreme, is capable of making some valid points.

Except Johnny Canucker who’s just a trolling Flames fan alt. And RonningMorrisonBooth who’s Jim Benning.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

member 300185

If this is all a thinly veiled reference to me and @Beef Invictus, the answer is that I've liked over 30,000 of his posts and don't intend to stop.
No, not about anyone at all. I just started to see many patterns, mostly on Leaf and Habs boards. I post on the habs boards fairly regularly, and there are 3 guys that are only out to get posters from other boards, but most are good hockey people and know the game fairly well. By sheer population, the leafs have the most fans, so the numbers will indicate there will be more bad apples and thats what gives us a bad name.

member 300185

I admire some posters, like Killion. Never hated or disliked any fellow posters though. As someone said, good argument is a good argument. And I tend to hit the like button on a funny joke whoever told it. Even if somebody argues or disagrees with me I can hit like if the post is reasonable. My own posts are a combination of high quality analysis and low quality banter so I'm always glad if somebody likes my ramblings. Thank you fellas.
You've got a great "messages to likes" ratio so that indicates to me you are a good poster.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I have liked several posts of people that I thought were pretty ridiculous. Lots of threads are derailed by a very small group of people yelling / throwing shade at each other.

I generally like to offer olive branches in the particularly heated threads. It’s silly that people assume 10 or less people being mean to each other on the internet represent 10’s or 100’s of thousands of people’s opinions.

Some posters change their avatars on a fairly regular basis so a few times I’ve gotten deep into a thread and then realized that I “know” a poster from a previous image.

Just avoid a thread if it’s making you that upset.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Its become extremely evident that no matter what team you cheer for, some of your fellow fans of that team are either liked or disliked....or flat out became enemies.

Then, I read some very solid post with facts bang on, but their fellow fans will do and say anything to discredit that poster, regardless if they are making a very good point or not.

Or, if a poster goes to post on another board, they are lamb basted no matter how good their point is.

So here is the question. Be honest. If you have an enemy on these boards that for whatever reason, you just can't see eye to eye, will you like a post your enemy makes if its a good point, or are you just going to try to discredit that post by saying anything that you can?

I for one, like a good debate until it gets ugly. Some posters are just looking for a reason to hit that ignore button or start calling people names.

And often a poster will make an incredible point, but his enemies start with name calling, slinging BS at that poster. Sometimes they deserve it and just lost some credibility, so therefore all their points must be bad. People will also pile on.

Clearly a social question.

I have clearly got warnings for posting on other boards like the Islanders, then when it got heated, I would fight back and get mod warnings. Thats why I lost my like button for a duration. I am trying to read the posts now without seeing who posted it. Seems to be working so far because when I look back, I am liking posts by my previous enemies.

Thoughts?

Don't care who likes or dislikes my post. It's the interwebs i'm not on it to make friends. LOL.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I tend to be a mirror and reflect what I'm getting back rather than be mature about it and take the high road, so I can certainly be percieved as a dick or troll depending on the topic. And most of the time I'd give a Like to a poster i typically dont see eye-to-eye with if it's worth a Like.

But I dont forget stupidity, so if these arguments are more the result of habitual trolling I wouldnt give them a Like at any point because posting something clever or insightful doesnt erase the fact they're a moron.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
Agreed. What I did was take a simple piece of cardboard and cut it 2 inches wide. Now, whenever I come on the boards I just hand the cardboard over my left side of my screen to block out the avatars. It works amazing and I feel now I can respond without any bias.

Well if you block avatars, you wouldn't see the STUNNING pic of my dog biting a rope toy. :sarcasm:

I have nobody on ignore. I'm mostly here for the playoffs, but check in during the season. It's easy to dismiss the crazy posts and biased stuff. I like people's posts who I disagree with if the content is very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad