Will you agree or like a post by someone you don't like?

member 300185

Its become extremely evident that no matter what team you cheer for, some of your fellow fans of that team are either liked or disliked....or flat out became enemies.

Then, I read some very solid post with facts bang on, but their fellow fans will do and say anything to discredit that poster, regardless if they are making a very good point or not.

Or, if a poster goes to post on another board, they are lamb basted no matter how good their point is.

So here is the question. Be honest. If you have an enemy on these boards that for whatever reason, you just can't see eye to eye, will you like a post your enemy makes if its a good point, or are you just going to try to discredit that post by saying anything that you can?

I for one, like a good debate until it gets ugly. Some posters are just looking for a reason to hit that ignore button or start calling people names.

And often a poster will make an incredible point, but his enemies start with name calling, slinging BS at that poster. Sometimes they deserve it and just lost some credibility, so therefore all their points must be bad. People will also pile on.

Clearly a social question.

I have clearly got warnings for posting on other boards like the Islanders, then when it got heated, I would fight back and get mod warnings. Thats why I lost my like button for a duration. I am trying to read the posts now without seeing who posted it. Seems to be working so far because when I look back, I am liking posts by my previous enemies.

Thoughts?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
There is no poster I "hate". But there are a lot of posters where I "hate" what they say. Or I "hate" the character they are attempting to be. That's the big difference. I may not agree with what they are saying, how they are saying it, or the argument may turn into the poster just being flat out rude. But in the end I don't "hate" that person. I've never met them, they could be a really nice person behind that keyboard, or even a robot!

If this person who I disagreed with came out and posted a strong, valid, well thought-out argument, without the rudeness or without trolling, I'd have no problem liking the post.

member 300185

The easiest way to survive on here is to admit when you're wrong as soon as you realize it, so yeah I don't hold any grudges.

Some posters are simply twits and add no value to any conversation, so tough to respect / "like" their posts.
Agreed. What I did was take a simple piece of cardboard and cut it 2 inches wide. Now whenever I come on the boards I just hand the cardboard over my left side of my screen to block out the avatars. It works amazing and I feel now I can respond without any bias.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Personally, I read post without ever noticing the poster then until I realize they are spewing garbage, that's when I look who it is and more often it's the usual suspects for me.

I manage my ignore list simply by using the same principle as the "plus-minus" stat, i.e. 1 point for being annoying/1 point good post based on how I feel about the topic. If they accumulate enough minuses, then I know we'll not see eye-to-eye so I simply add them to my ignore list.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't like anyone's posts as I don't see the purpose, but if I agree then I agree. Good ideas are good ideas regardless of who says them, and only an idiot decides to disagree with an opinion based on who said it as opposed to what the opinion actually is.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not consciously, but generally I'll only dislike engaging with someone if they constantly post garbage, and I don't really have a reason to like those posts. I don't really dislike anyone on a personal level since I realize that I'm not at my best when I'm talking about hockey so I don't expect anyone else to be, but some people can be really annoying to engage with.

member 300185

I don't like anyone's posts as I don't see the purpose, but if I agree then I agree. Good ideas are good ideas regardless of who says them, and only an idiot decides to disagree with an opinion based on who said it as opposed to what the opinion actually is.
Well, I won't hit the like button then for you, but here is a thumbs up. Good points. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad