Will Weal get a midseason call up???

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
pretty sure he will be since he still needs a bit more seasoning and muscle but if he again adds muscle during the season like he did during the last he should be ready to go imho..

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
How about we wait and see if he gets sent down first. By all accounts the kid has had a very good camp.

That said, if he's sent down it's because someone else is filling the spot so unless there's an injury or something else to force a recall, it's hard to say a guy will just get a recall.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
the kid has not embarrassed himself at all and in fact has looked quite good...
maybe my zuccarello comparison was that far off :naughty:

Since Pearson, Toffoli, and Vey (and maybe even Kozun) have made the big jump into the NHL, Weal is the next offensive force with a high compete level. He is the leader in Manchester, was 70% in the faceoff circle last night the exhibition game, and under the radar way too much from Kings fans. Smaller does not mean you cannot play in this league, and obviously the staff is happy with what they see, otherwise he would not be the only offensive minded forward they are still looking at. So would he be the first call-up? I think he would over Shore and Dowd, even if it was for a bottom six role.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
the reason for me saying this is due to all the posters claiming he'd be too small ala vey and kozun and suggestions that he be traded for something useful eventually. but the kid has a great all around game with tons of heart and grit from a so called little guy, never backs down and seems to epitomize the Kings philosophy of play and character...

so I guess what I should have said is can we please stop with the he's too small crap and realize we have a damn good prospect on our hands.. thats all..

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Since Pearson, Toffoli, and Vey (and maybe even Kozun) have made the big jump into the NHL, Weal is the next offensive force with a high compete level. He is the leader in Manchester, was 70% in the faceoff circle last night the exhibition game, and under the radar way too much from Kings fans. Smaller does not mean you cannot play in this league, and obviously the staff is happy with what they see, otherwise he would not be the only offensive minded forward they are still looking at. So would he be the first call-up? I think he would over Shore and Dowd, even if it was for a bottom six role.

I'd be shocked if Dowd seen any NHL time at all this year. A full AHL season seems to be in order, so we'd need one bad string of injuries to see him up here.

the reason for me saying this is due to all the posters claiming he'd be too small ala vey and kozun and suggestions that he be traded for something useful eventually. but the kid has a great all around game with tons of heart and grit from a so called little guy, never backs down and seems to epitomize the Kings philosophy of play and character...

so I guess what I should have said is can we please stop with the he's too small crap and realize we have a damn good prospect on our hands.. thats all..

I recall people saying Kozun was to small (and he very well might be) but I don't recall that on Vey.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think with kopitar stoll richards carter lewis even if there a injury its not guarantee he gets the call. Who ever gets hurt the rest just move up and lewis takes the 4th line as a center. I think who ever loses between cracknell and andreoff (assuming both clear waivers ) will get the call if a forward goes down. This is not a slight to weal. It just a fact of us having great center depth. I also think he will be traded to a team near to the deadline. Our prospects seem to have a lot of value around the league ( vey Nicolas Deslauriers etc) So depending on needs at the deadline ( i think we will need better number four d) I think he will be the prospect most team would be interested in.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Weal might be traded, but I think he'll get a few NHL games in this season. Next season he'll have to go through waivers, so the Kings thinking ahead as they do, will want him to get a few NHL games to get him used to the pace and skill and, if necessary, showcase him to other teams. At some point in the season we'll be needing some offense, at some point Carter will spend some time at wing, and injuries will occur.

Our forward pipeline is thin offensively this year (Mersch and Dowd need time to develop) and we've already lost Kozun and Vey. I don't see O'Neill, O'Brien or Backman in the long-term plans, so that gives the Kings incentive to keep Weal and see if he fits our team's needs.

Last edited:

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Given how he has impressed in camp I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe be like a Vey situation last year where he is the first name on the list.

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
Injuries happen.

we don't have much immediate skill ready to get called up. I think Weal will not get traded and WILL get called up. He's performed better and better at every camp and the coaches love his attention to detail. He was one of the monarchs most consistent offensive performers last year. Sure he's small but he brings a lot of intangibles... I can see him cracking the lineup this year for a few games. In my mind he's the next skill level guy replacement on the depth chart.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Given how he has impressed in camp I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe be like a Vey situation last year where he is the first name on the list.

I hope it ends the same way too. Would be great to get some value out of him before we get rid of him.

KBA4life

Oct 22, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Has he ever played wing? As much as it pains me to type this, I don't think DL is going to be able to re-sign Williams for obvious cap reasons. Perhaps Jordan can be a cheap replacement option?

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Has he ever played wing? As much as it pains me to type this, I don't think DL is going to be able to re-sign Williams for obvious cap reasons. Perhaps Jordan can be a cheap replacement option?

Gotta think that is Toffoli or Pearson's spot to lose if Williams leaves. Weal probably at best would be looked at as Stoll's replacement centering one of the bottom two lines.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
A Center would have to get hurt.

Weal is going to be a Center in the NHL, he is not going to play wing.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
assuming he gets sent down and one of the centers gets hurt, then absolutely he'll get a midseason call up.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Wouldn't mind seeing if Weal couldn't do Lewis' job for less then 1.5M...

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
assuming he gets sent down and one of the centers gets hurt, then absolutely he'll get a midseason call up.

As i stated above we have Kopitar richards carter stoll and Lewis One gets hurt everyone moves up a spot and lewis gets 4th line duties. Weal only hope will be if two centers gets hurt or he learns to play wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad