will we win round 1 do you guys think

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, as he haven't even clinched a playoff spot yet.

So? Neither has anyone else in the league. I think it's pretty okay to start talking about the playoffs when you are 6th in the league.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, as he haven't even clinched a playoff spot yet.
I still worry about the game within the game when watching.
Regular season stats aside.
I find the other teams are able to dominate us, heavily outshoot us and cycle us far to much in a given game.

When we strike fast with offense, we’re goid.
When we are desperate at times trailing we can pick it up. But in close playoff games, getting attacked so much is an issue.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So? Neither has anyone else in the league. I think it's pretty okay to start talking about the playoffs when you are 6th in the league.

"Never count your chickens before their hatched"

The standings are close and lots of runway left.

Freddy might get hurt and miss time and it could be game over.

Besides even if the playoffs look promsing at the moment, we have no idea who the Leafs will play so how could anyone make a prediction on if you could win without knowing who the opponent is: :help:

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The Leafs probably get bounced in the first round again.

It will be either Matthews, Marner or Nylander who screws it up defensively, sinking the entire team.

The rest of the team, talking about the forwards here, just play too loose. All they think about is scoring, and not back checking.

They can't score on the power play. Time to get two guys to stand in front of the goalie and get the point shot through.

This team is not built for the playoffs.

No forecheck either. It is like Tavares or Kadri does everything on the forecheck, along with Hyman.
I don't think you know what probably means. While I admire your pessimism it has little basis in reality.

Obviously match up matters, as do trade deadline acquisitions. Too early to answer this but we are a better team than last year and should match up better against Boston.

Two years in a row we have gone to 7, we added Muz and JT, that should get us a bump but anything can happen.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
such a weird sentiment going around.

the leafs are the hottest team in the league.

8gms, 6-1-1, 52.8cf%, 53.8scf%, 4.00gf/gm, 2.75ga/gm, .921sv%
Meh they won a lot of games under Carlyle too but you could see how easily exposed they can be.
Plus I don't have a lot of faith in Babcock

Reactions: IPS

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For the first time, we'll be the legit favorites in round 1, and should win.

At the same time, unfortunately despite likely having the 2nd best record in the league at the end of the year, we'll still end up facing a borderline top-5 team in the first round, so it'll be close.

Unless we're not. Not sure how you can possibly take this for granted, if Boston has home advantage I'm pretty sure they'll be the favourites.

such a weird sentiment going around.

the leafs are the hottest team in the league.

8gms, 6-1-1, 52.8cf%, 53.8scf%, 4.00gf/gm, 2.75ga/gm, .921sv%

This is advanced spin not sure what else to call it. Some advanced stats over 8 games is your measuring stick, why is that? Why use funky stats instead of you know, wins and losses which is what really counts? And why 8 games, could that be because if you used 10 games, things don't look so pretty any more?

Here's another perspective. The top teams in our division over the last 10 games:

TB 6-2-2
TOR 6-1-3
BOS 6-3-1
MTL 7-1-2

So over the last 10 games (just a slightly bigger sample size than the 8 games you used), not only are we not the hottest team in the league, we're not even among the 3 hottest teams in our own division.

Boston has just one loss in regulation time in their last 10 games and have picked up ground on us in that time. Their last regulation loss was Jan 19th. They are hot and pencillling us in for home advantage in round #1 is premature to say the least.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Lightning, Bruins, Habs, Penguins, and Islanders all concern me. Lightning are better in every way, and the others can grind out wins.
It's insane when you look at that Habs roster that they are concerning. But here we are. No doubt if the leafs don't bring intensity they would lose that series

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Unless we're not. Not sure how you can possibly take this for granted, if Boston has home advantage I'm pretty sure they'll be the favourites.

This is advanced spin not sure what else to call it. Some advanced stats over 8 games is your measuring stick, why is that? Why use funky stats instead of you know, wins and losses which is what really counts? And why 8 games, could that be because if you used 10 games, things don't look so pretty any more?

Here's another perspective. The top teams in our division over the last 10 games:

TB 6-2-2
TOR 6-1-3
BOS 6-3-1
MTL 7-1-2

So over the last 10 games (just a slightly bigger sample size than the 8 games you used), not only are we not the hottest team in the league, we're not even among the 3 hottest teams in our own division.

Boston has just one loss in regulation time in their last 10 games and have picked up ground on us in that time. Their last regulation loss was Jan 19th. They are hot and pencillling us in for home advantage in round #1 is premature to say the least.

Boston will never be the favorites going into a series this year, they simply don't compare to the Leafs in overall talent & depth. The media and pessimists will try and paint it this way as is already being done, though.

horner

May 22, 2007
If we get someone like gudas or ferland than we can beat boston.
If we dont we wont.

Anybody else iam not worried about.

Tbay we always play grt against them
There defence is mot that grt.
Goaltending will be the difference

horner

May 22, 2007
Boston will never be the favorites going into a series this year, they simply don't compare to the Leafs in overall talent & depth. The media and pessimists will try and paint it this way as is already being done, though.
Chara marchant pasternak Bergeron.
They always turn up the heat.
If we can turn up the heat.
Then maybe..

Referees are always on there side.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

We've been better than Boston all year on the ice, we're better on paper, we've upgraded our roster significantly, we're hotter than them now, and we have a significantly easier schedule the rest of the way. I'd be surprised if we don't have home ice advantage.

This is advanced spin not sure what else to call it. Some advanced stats over 8 games is your measuring stick, why is that? Why use funky stats instead of you know, wins and losses which is what really counts?

You did notice that I used all of wins and losses, goals for and against, and save percentage, in ADDITION to all those "funky stats" that you got upset about, right?

And why 8 games, could that be because if you used 10 games, things don't look so pretty any more?

er, because I was looking at their hot streak?

TB 6-2-2
TOR 6-1-3
BOS 6-3-1
MTL 7-1-2

Yes, if you keep going further back into our one cold streak of the season, then the leafs will look colder and colder, and then the further you go back they'll look hotter and hotter again.

Good point.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'd bet a substantial amount of money that if Boston has home advantage and are healthy, they will be favourites. The home team is almost always favoured, there's a reason for that.

Don't forget that Boston had a ton of injuries to start the season, had that not been the case they'd likely be ahead of us now and ever since they've been healthy, they've been gaining on us. Downplay their depth and talent all you want, all they do is keep winning.

Reactions: Trapper and dsred

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We've been better than Boston all year on the ice, we're better on paper, we've upgraded our roster significantly, we're hotter than them now, and we have a significantly easier schedule the rest of the way. I'd be surprised if we don't have home ice advantage.

You earlier said that we will have home ice advantage, I'm glad to see that you've come to your senses and retracted that.

As far as us being better than Boston at this and that and the other thing, we're barely ahead of them in the standings and you've completely ignored their injury problems as if they're not meaningful but I think you know better.

You did notice that I used all of wins and losses, goals for and against, and save percentage, in ADDITION to all those "funky stats" that you got upset about, right?

er, because I was looking at their hot streak?

LOL no, I'm not upset at all, why would I be? TBH all I saw was the funky stats and thought to myself that a bunch of advanced stats over an 8 game span, I'm not impressed. Then I thought I'd have a quick look at the standings and saw that we've been outpointed by all the top teams in our division over the last 10 games and thought I'd share that information.

You used 8 games instead of 10 because you wanted to look at their hot streak, OK. I guess if you pick any team during a hot streak they'll look good so if you wanted to make them look good, I guess 8 games is the way to go.

Yes, if you keep going further back into our one cold streak of the season, then the leafs will look colder and colder, and then the further you go back they'll look hotter and hotter again.

Good point.

Every team has their ups and downs. Overall though, where we're at is barely ahead of Boston (and MTL) and considering Boston has had so many injuries, I wouldn't get too cocky about being better than them at this point in time. Like I said, over the last 10 games they've done better than we have so this claim that we're "better than them" rings hollow to me. You can start chirping early if you like, that is your right but me, I'm going to wait until we at least win a playoff round before I start proclaiming that we're better than anyone.

I could be wrong but weren't you pretty confident going into the playoffs against Boston last year as well?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's an absolute must to win at least 1 round. If we don't, will Marner suddenly want less than 10M per season? You could have 3 guys making more than 10 without a series win. They have to win.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
"Never count your chickens before their hatched"

The standings are close and lots of runway left.

Freddy might get hurt and miss time and it could be game over.

Besides even if the playoffs look promsing at the moment, we have no idea who the Leafs will play so how could anyone make a prediction on if you could win without knowing who the opponent is: :help:

Yes but wild speculation is so much fun!!

“Hey everyone, I heard Marner is closer to a deal, speculate wildly!!!”

Everyone: “yaaayy”

*wild speculation ensues*

To the OP

I think we will win at least one round. I think a lot of the “we don’t play tough enough!!” crowd will be surprised at our game come playoff time. It could be possible that not playing too hard now will prevent injuries. And that not being injured might even mean we have more toughness in the tank to dish out when the time comes.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd bet a substantial amount of money that if Boston has home advantage and are healthy, they will be favourites. The home team is almost always favoured, there's a reason for that.

Don't forget that Boston had a ton of injuries to start the season, had that not been the case they'd likely be ahead of us now and ever since they've been healthy, they've been gaining on us. Downplay their depth and talent all you want, all they do is keep winning.
We are a good team and I think when you voice concerns it’s taken as anti-Leaf talking.

Again, if the game/series opens up to our liking we’re fine. I’m just not convinced yet that we have the team to take it back if the game turns into something we aren’t fine with. Hence whatever deficiencies you see in the team. Not an individual.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Might be accomplished by a media narrative for ratings, but on paper there is literally no way Boston is ever going to be the favorite over us this season. Take a real look at their roster.

I was very confident going into the series against Boston last year, and guess what? Despite completely blowing 2 games at the start, it came down to 10 minutes at the end of game 7. That's as close as it can get.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You earlier said that we will have home ice advantage, I'm glad to see that you've come to your senses and retracted that.

As far as us being better than Boston at this and that and the other thing, we're barely ahead of them in the standings and you've completely ignored their injury problems as if they're not meaningful but I think you know better.

we're ahead of them in the standings, and the only reason they're actually close is they have triple the loser points. and we're better than them at this that and the other thing too.

LOL no, I'm not upset at all, why would I be? TBH all I saw was the funky stats and thought to myself that a bunch of advanced stats over an 8 game span, I'm not impressed. Then I thought I'd have a quick look at the standings and saw that we've been outpointed by all the top teams in our division over the last 10 games and thought I'd share that information.

You were upset enough not to notice that I used wins, losses, goals, goals against, and save percentage.

You used 8 games instead of 10 because you wanted to look at their hot streak, OK. I guess if you pick any team during a hot streak they'll look good so if you wanted to make them look good, I guess 8 games is the way to go.

yes that is how looking at hot streaks works.

which is what I assumed the comment i was responding to which said "not with how they're playing now" referred to.

if he was referring to how we were playing back before the all-star break, it's a weird way to phrase it.

Every team has their ups and downs. Overall though, where we're at is barely ahead of Boston (and MTL) and considering Boston has had so many injuries, I wouldn't get too cocky about being better than them at this point in time. Like I said, over the last 10 games they've done better than we have so this claim that we're "better than them" rings hollow to me. You can start chirping early if you like, that is your right but me, I'm going to wait until we at least win a playoff round before I start proclaiming that we're better than anyone.

Bergeron 15gms --- Matthews 14gms
Marchand 1gms --- Tavares 0gms
Pastrnak 1gms ----- Marner 0gms
Krejci 0gms -------- Kadri 0gms
Debrusk 9gms ----- Nylander 28gms
Heinen 4gms ------ Kapanen 0gms

McAvoy 27gms ---- Rielly 0gms
Chara 16gms ------ Muzzin 49gms
Krug 9gms --------- Gardiner 2gms
Carlo 9gms -------- Dermott 3gms

Rask 1gms --------- Andersen 8gms
Halak 0gms ------- Sparks 5gms

I could be wrong but weren't you pretty confident going into the playoffs against Boston last year as well?

yep, when everyone else was predicting us to get run out of the rink, I said we could win even as the underdogs. We lost in the 3rd period of game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad