Will we win a Cup within the next 5 years under Hextall?

Do you believe Ron Hextall WILL bring us a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When it comes to the veterans, GM's don't remove people from the room unless they have to so long as you're trying to win. They always believe in each other, and very often GM's don't want to disrupt that. They don't really ever see what we see, and often it's to their fault. But Hextall isn't any different than almost anybody else in that regard. It's like, culture, or something. It should be antiquated, but players and organizations often sell each other on playing for each other and playing for the guy next to you and this that and the other thing, and then they are supposed to not want their teammates that they're supposed to battle with every night to be whisked off in the middle of the season. That's why when teams are gearing up for the playoffs during the season they almost never take anyone off the roster unless it's a cap dump or something.

Now in the off-season, Hextall has shown in the past that when it's time for someone to leave - they leave. There isn't a lot of evidence that he acquiesces to the coach whether it be Berube or Hakstol.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Being more tolerant of a bad player than you are and being "loyal to safe players" are two very different things.

I'm still waiting to see any proof of loyalty. Still nothing, which makes the answer to this pretty clear.

wait... are you saying Hextall isnt loyal to Haktard in the face of all the body of his shitty work ??

come on.. theres no way you believe that

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I voted yes, regardless of how pissed I get about Hack, Hexy has been going through the right avenues to rid this franchise of dumb controls ha ded out by Homer, the pieces Hexy has drafted are top shelf, I believe in the core here, Provy, Patrick and TK all can be something special for this team, with Couts, Jake and G also, Hart could be finally be the goalie the Flyers have needed since Pelle, and the rest of the prospects I believe will all be up by ‘19-‘20

With that said and if everything works out I believe the Flyers will have all the pieces in the right places so even Beet Boy no matter his line up decisions can’t f*** it up, he can basically call any number and they’ll get the job done, even if he overuses if he doesn’t have the option to use trash players at that point and the line up is somewhat stacked with balance, the team would just be winning again spite the coach, and last but not least the timing could be right when the Flyers are ready to make a serious run, Ovi will be old, Sid and Gina will be older, and I’m sure one or more of the powerhouse teams will be blown up about that time, I also am holding out that Lavy comes home to us again and finishes what he started her in ‘10

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
Competitive for a long time doesnt necessarily equal Cup contender. They wont get over that hump without smart trades or signings at right time (think Hossa to Blackhawks in 10, Horton to Bruins in 11, Carter to Kings in 12, Gaborik to Kings in 14, B. Richards to Blackhawks in 15, Kessel and Schultz to Pens in 16).
I guess I should clarify that when I say "competitive for a long time" I mean "a legit cup contender". Of course there will need to be shrewd trades made to bolster the roster once they are ready, and Hextall himself has said this so I'm not worried that it won't happen when the time is right.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
wait... are you saying Hextall isnt loyal to Haktard in the face of all the body of his ****ty work ??

come on.. theres no way you believe that

A problem of patience/judgement and a problem of loyalty are two completely different issues.

Hakstol is also not a player.

So that's 0 for 2.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Being more tolerant of a bad player than you are and being "loyal to safe players" are two very different things.

I'm still waiting to see any proof of loyalty. Still nothing, which makes the answer to this pretty clear.

Just some comments I've heard from Hextall and around the organization. In an interview with BSH, Riley Cote, after he had broken ties with the organization said they played politics when it came to Jordan Weal and thats why he came up so late. Keep in mind this is when Chris Vandevelde was a lineup regular.

In an interview this year, he said how it was easy to send a young player down, but very hard to send a veteran down.

Maybe loyalty is the wrong word, but I'm trying to say what @Rebels57 has been saying through this discussion

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You refuse to acknowledge any valid examples of loyalty and instead just offer a different perspective... so theres no point in you continuing to ask the question.

I'd be happy to acknowledge a valid example of loyalty just as soon as anyone can give me one. So far nobody has. What you tried to give doesn't show loyalty in any way.

At best, it shows a tolerance of something that really doesn't matter in the big picture.
At worst, it shows a bad evaluation of usefulness or too much value on intangibles.
It is not an example of loyalty to safe players.

A legit example of misplaced LOYALTY would be if he re-signed his son as a player or someone else he had a personal attachment to. None of these players qualify as a problem of loyalty, so they aren't valid examples. None of the guys we have a problem with on the team are an issue of loyalty.

I'll continue asking the question until it's answered by a real example.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just some comments I've heard from Hextall and around the organization. In an interview with BSH, Riley Cote, after he had broken ties with the organization said they played politics when it came to Jordan Weal and thats why he came up so late. Keep in mind this is when Chris Vandevelde was a lineup regular.

In an interview this year, he said how it was easy to send a young player down, but very hard to send a veteran down.

Maybe loyalty is the wrong word, but I'm trying to say what @Rebels57 has been saying through this discussion

OK, well this makes a big difference and completely changes the complaint/argument.

Like how there's a big difference between him keeping Lappy because of loyalty vs something else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
After seeing Weal play this year, maybe it wasn't about "politics," maybe it was because Weal was a limited player who didn't fit well - he's not a PK guy, he's a marginal 3rd line guy, he's not a checker and he's got average speed and below average size. Weal had shown flashes of being a playmaker who had puck possession skills, but isn't consistent to keep a 3rd line job.

VdV was strictly a 4th line guy who was solid on the PK, less talented than Weal but a better fit.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Yes.

Like a lot of teams we "can" win within this time frame.

With that, I refuse to be negative about it. As that permeates.

However, need to make a few changes - naturally.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
When it comes to the veterans, GM's don't remove people from the room unless they have to so long as you're trying to win. They always believe in each other, and very often GM's don't want to disrupt that. They don't really ever see what we see, and often it's to their fault. But Hextall isn't any different than almost anybody else in that regard. It's like, culture, or something. It should be antiquated, but players and organizations often sell each other on playing for each other and playing for the guy next to you and this that and the other thing, and then they are supposed to not want their teammates that they're supposed to battle with every night to be whisked off in the middle of the season. That's why when teams are gearing up for the playoffs during the season they almost never take anyone off the roster unless it's a cap dump or something.

Now in the off-season, Hextall has shown in the past that when it's time for someone to leave - they leave. There isn't a lot of evidence that he acquiesces to the coach whether it be Berube or Hakstol.

True, the releasing of Manning is clearly not in line with what Hakstol wants.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I voted yes I do believe that hexy will put the pieces together to build a cup contender not sure hakstol can be the coach to win it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
True, the releasing of Manning is clearly not in line with what Hakstol wants.

Why do people say things like this?
You have no clue what Hakstol wants.

Who he plays during the season probably has a lot to do with trying to win, player development, injuries, etc.
Who they want to keep after the season depends on contracts, available options, who they think is ready to step up, etc.

If Hakstol really wanted to keep Manning, he'd still be a Flyer, he's low cost and there is no roster issue until October to keep him around.
Hakstol would have lobbied Hextall to keep Manning as an insurance policy.
The fact they let him walk says they don't see any future to him, the same way they let VdV walk last year.

With players under contract, like Weise, MacDonald and Lehtera, it's a different story.
Since the contracts are guaranteed, there is no reason to do anything because you're still on the hook, and as we saw with Vinnie, Pronger, etc., there's always the possibility that you can work out a deal.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
If the league somehow finds a way to gift Jack Hughes to the Pens next year probably not. Otherwise we stand a pretty good chance as a legitimate contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->