Will We Have a Kaepernick/ Smith situation on our hands?

gatosauce12345

Jan 6, 2011
Referring to the 49ers quarterback switch, hypothetically what happens if Lehner goes on a tear??

Anderson may relinquish his role as starter and may not get back in for a while.

Thoughts?

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Anderson will be given a chance to be the #1 when he is healthy... Mac respects the vets... If he falters, Lehner will go back in... My opinion

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Craig Anderson is the best goalie in the league.

Even if Lehner too was the best goalie in the league you go with the one who took an 8th seed in last year's playoffs to game 7 against the top seed in the East and lost by a goal.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Craig Anderson is the best goalie in the league.

Even if Lehner too was the best goalie in the league you go with the one who took an 8th seed in last year's playoffs to game 7 against the top seed in the East and lost by a goal.

Anderson was the best goaltender statistically and I'm sure MacLean will give him the net when he is healthy.

But if Andy falters on his return, then its going to be decision time for the Sens.

Pro sports isn't about week let alone last year.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Yeah, go ahead and call it Joe Montana/Steve Young, but please don't compare any of our goalies to Alex Smith

Except unlike Anderson, Alex Smith has advanced in the playoffs

Came 2 fumbled punt returns from making the Superbowl... I dont even like the guy but ge gets so little credit its unreal...

Mephias

Oct 8, 2008
Burnaby, B.C.
I know that comment isn't directly solely at me, but Alex Smith really just rode the coattails of a stacked defense, great offensive line, and good running game (kind of like Rex Grossman did). His own coach tried to replace him right after the playoffs (the 49ers went after Peyton Manning), and ended up replacing him halfway through the next season.

I do realize the guy got completely screwed around by incompetent head coaches/offensive coordinators (I think he had a new OC every year for 5 years or something), but the guy is an average QB at best, IMO.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I know that comment isn't directly solely at me, but Alex Smith really just rode the coattails of a stacked defense, great offensive line, and good running game (kind of like Rex Grossman did). His own coach tried to replace him right after the playoffs (the 49ers went after Peyton Manning), and ended up replacing him halfway through the next season.

I do realize the guy got completely screwed around by incompetent head coaches/offensive coordinators (I think he had a new OC every year for 5 years or something), but the guy is an average QB at best, IMO.

He had a 104.1 QBR before he was replaced by Kaepernick. I dont mean to turn this into an Nfl thread, but that isnt something you can get by just "riding the coattails" of your team.

Anyway, Andy is only 31. He realistically still has 5-7 more years in him before he even starts to regress. In my opinion, he is the goalie of the future for the Sens.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I love where Lehner is in his development right now but Anderson is the #1 goalie when he returns. It's his job to lose. Lehner would probably get more games in an Andy/Lehner tandem than Bishop would in a Andy/Bishop tandem. A Lehner/Bishop combo would be more risky for the Sens so why take the unnecessarily chance unless something really super good is offered for Andy.

In my world as much as I like Bishop if a goalie has to be traded then he's the one. That said lets remember that Lehner is still on his ELC next season so the Sens don't have to rush any decision rarely do young players get what they want when they want.

Sens91

Mar 16, 2011
All I'll say is if Lehner keeps up this type of play, it will be awfully hard to send him down to the AHL. Anderson has two years left on his contract. Lehner isn't going to want to be sitting around in the AHL until then, and he shouldn't imo. I'm going to get scolded for this, but I would put Anderson in when he's ready and play him for the rest of the season/playoffs, and if he keeps up his stellar performance, trade him in the offseason (kind of like the Halak situation). We know what Lehner can do, and he'll only get better..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad