Will we ever see another Pavel Bure?

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
Funny. He's a lot more comparable than someone of Kessel's level.

Anyway, that Kovalchuk video didn't make me draw comparisons to Bure at all. Bure had a very unique skillset and athletic ability. Nobody in the league right now is comparable, really, which is why I asked the question in the first place. From what I've seen of Yakupov he is also not comparable.

Watch the video again, sometimes it's ignorable at first glance but that speed that Kovalchuk has is unreal there. And he dangles during it too.

Obviously not at Bure level, but Bure-lite, I can see that.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
I've always thought of Gaborik as a modern day Bure. Both have amazing speed and lethal shots.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Grabner has a better defensive game

grabner is really that good defensively? i thought one of the reasons vancouver shipped him to florida was his pretty one dimensional game

bure in his first years in the league, before his acl tear in 95, was actually ok defensively and notorious on the pk

when bure came back to form in 98, in his last season with vancouver, it was with a different game, he didn't end to end rush as before and he wasn't too much in his own zone to transfer the play, and he definitely carried that game with him to the panthers where he was pretty awful defensively most of the time, especially even strength, but a fantastic one man show offensively

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Grabner's the next Bure.

There are certainly similarities, especially in their abilities to use speed as a weapon, creating breakaways for themselves and backing up defenders, and even their wrist shots. But Grabner's dangle and ability to make moves at high speed fall significantly short from Bure's. I also don't think he has the slapper that Bure did.

trexall*

Taylor Hall at 19 looks to be the closest thing to Pavel. His combination of Speed/skill will be lethal once he matures a few more years.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Just wondering if anyone thinks this will happen. A player that electrifies the ice every time he's on it. Consistently gets breakaways and has unreal handling at top speed. Pure goal scorer that can blow by anyone on the ice.

There aren't any prospects right now that can amount to this, are there?

The game has changed and doesn't allow the same amount of breakaways or skating end to end.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Taylor Hall at 19 looks to be the closest thing to Pavel. His combination of Speed/skill will be lethal once he matures a few more years.

I watched pretty much all of Taylor Hall's games this year. He is not like Pavel Bure at all other than the fact they are both faster than the average skater.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Hehe, I was thinking of him. The most ridiculous thing about "the next Pavel Bure" will be he won't be picked early. He will be too small, not that good on defense and Russian.

I acctually prefer the Mike Bossy comparsion, we heard around here, for Kucherov.

and I wonder why nobody has mentioned Afinogenov. I mean beside the scoring touch and hockeysense, he's the closest when it comes to stickhandling and shiftiness at the highest speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad