Will we ever see another Pavel Bure?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Don't you think it's rare that another player will make the NHL with the name "pavel bure". I mean, the odds must be fairly slim.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
taylor hall is prob going to the closest thing u see for the next few years in terms of being close to bure... and he's not as fast or as good a stick handler, but he's close, but he also plays defense so...

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
If Jim Slater had hands, he would be the American Pavel Bure and probably would've made it to a couple olympic teams.

Many players have Bure-caliber speed, some have bure-caliber hands, but I've never seen anyone with the sheer ability to do those crazy dekes and stuff at mach 5 speed. I want to say alexander khokhlachev, but he's not nearly as fast as Bure.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Grabner is def the best bet right now. That one stretch he had right after the ASB... never seen anything like it. It could be his absolute peak, or a sign of things to come. Next season will be telling.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've been entertaining myself with Pavel Bure highlights while I wait.

Easily, in my opinion, the most exciting player to ever step foot in the NHL.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
taylor hall is prob going to the closest thing u see for the next few years in terms of being close to bure... and he's not as fast or as good a stick handler, but he's close, but he also plays defense so...

Yeah, I kind of agree with the Hall comparison aswell.

MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Kessel has Bure like qualities.

Also the Seguin goal the other night reminded me of him.

Ehhhhhhh. Bure in Vancouver benched more than anyone else on the team. Kessel probably benches less than the trainer. He may have SOME of the scoring touch but he is so far away from Bure that it's not worth mentioning.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
To directly answer that question I dont think anyone in todays game is quite like Bure but if you had to find the most similar players in terms of style I would say Ovechkin, Hall and Gaborik. Man Bure was awesome....

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I remember watching the highlights from the night before when Pavel made his NHL debut. They showed a clip of him splitting the defence to get behind the 2 players and go one on one with the goalie.

He didn't score but man, the rate of speed he broke through took my breath away, I never saw anything like that before...totally unreal. I don't think those defencemen had seen anything like it before either.

Probably the biggest "Holy ****!" moment I've ever had watching hockey.

birddog*

Just wondering if anyone thinks this will happen. A player that electrifies the ice every time he's on it. Consistently gets breakaways and has unreal handling at top speed. Pure goal scorer that can blow by anyone on the ice.

There aren't any prospects right now that can amount to this, are there?

Alex Ovechkin?

RECsGuy*

It was a privilege and an honor to have witnessed his career. Gretz has the numbers, but everyone wants the Russian Rocket's abilities. The guy could do literally everything. The object of the game is to get the puck in the opposition's net as much as possible, and no one did it better. I don't consider myself "hip," but Pavel embodied swag. The guy entertained in a way that had never been seen before and has not been seen since. There is no player I miss watching more. One of the most influential players in the sport's history. He was passed over for enshrinement in the HHOF in his first two years of eligibility. Let's hope the selection committee gets their **** together and prove that the third time really is the charm.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
No one touches bure, the speed, stickhandling, agility, shot. Had everything but a good pair of knees. Don't think we'll see another Bure for a while. The guy who said grabner was closest imo, but not that close. Ovechkin's style is different, he doesn't have the same elusiveness that Bure seemed to have.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
I don't see the comparison with Hall or Kessel. Seguin is very skilled but I doubt he'd be mentioned if he didn't have a monster night right before this post.

I see a touch of Bure in Marian Gaborik when he's healthy, he had Bure-esque moments in the 2003 playoffs and the 2006 Olympics.

Grabner has a pretty sick combination of hands and speed, sure, maybe he could develop into something halfway-similar. There aren't many guys with his wheels, let alone that combine it with his finishing ability.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Bure mentioned Hall, Ovechkin and Crosby in an interview this year when someone asked him the same question.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I don't really agree with the Hall comparison. I made it before myself but I take it back. He's fast but he's not that fast and certainly not that skilled. Taylor Hall is Taylor Hall, he's a unique player.

Seguin on the other hand reminds me of Bure a bit. He'll never score 60 goals or anything like that but he's going to score a lot of his goals on the breakaway. That kid has some wheels and a good scoring touch.

I think in today's NHL even Pavel Bure wouldn't be able to play like Bure. You're just not allowed to play like that anymore, everyone has to be a 2-way player.

edit: Andrew Knoll, I have to agree with the Gaborik comparison. I can't believe I missed that, I guess I forgot about him because he's out with injuries so often. Personally I think if he wasn't drafted by such a defensive team in Minnesota he would have at least a couple 60 goal seasons under his belt.

Last edited:

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
You guys should watch Ilya Kovalchuk more often. Closest thing to Pavel Bure in a long, long time.

Fulcrum

Bure is not just one-of-a-kind player. Bure is a one-of-a-kind personality!

In order to have someone even remotely close, you need to have an Athlete with genes of an olympic swimmer(father), uncompromising drive, steel character for 100% of his conscious life and the great guidance that was Red Army.

Bure was the pinnacle product of the Soviet Hockey, having mixed the best of it with the best kind of candidate. Sort of- the elite of the elite.

I just don't think that kids nowadays are pushed that hard to become stars, when a lot of the development happens.

Ovechkin is close in some ways, but his technique is not nearly as polished. His skating, although amazing- is just not as developed technically wise as Bure's, hence he is not as explosive.

PS. In order for another Bure to come by, he would probably have to be from switzerland, as it's not a Russian name.

Fulcrum

You guys should watch Ilya Kovalchuk more often. Closest thing to Pavel Bure in a long, long time.

Minus the dekes around the goalie, and sometimes you can see his hands freeze up at top speed- almost never happened to Bure.

Seanconn*

Ehhhhhhh. Bure in Vancouver benched more than anyone else on the team. Kessel probably benches less than the trainer. He may have SOME of the scoring touch but he is so far away from Bure that it's not worth mentioning.

hey, being reminded of a player does not mean equal to a player.

I said before the TSN guys said anything, Bobby Ryan's goal was like Mario's famous playoff goal.

Seguins break looked a bit like it with the way he was moving his feet, but come off your rocker... (other guy)

Calder Winner Bure compared with Seguin? bull crap

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Bure is not just one-of-a-kind player. Bure is a one-of-a-kind personality!

In order to have someone even remotely close, you need to have an Athlete with genes of an olympic swimmer(father), uncompromising drive, steel character for 100% of his conscious life and the great guidance that was Red Army.

Bure was the pinnacle product of the Soviet Hockey, having mixed the best of it with the best kind of candidate. Sort of- the elite of the elite.

I just don't think that kids nowadays are pushed that hard to become stars, when a lot of the development happens.

Ovechkin is close in some ways, but his technique is not nearly as polished. His skating, although amazing- is just not as developed technically wise as Bure's, hence he is not as explosive.

Spot on, I completely agree.
I'd LOVE to see another player like Bure, but the mroe I watch those highlights, the more I think it's impossible in today's NHL. That set of skills, puck handling and speed comes once in a generation, hopefully someone will come close to him. Nowadays I don't see anyone coming close to the player Bure was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->