Will we ever see another line brawl in the NHL?

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Depends on what you mean by line brawl. If you mean all players on the ice legitimately fighting then no. If you mean a couple fight were some other guys push each other then yes we will.

Its not just fights that are decreasing, there are substantially less players in the league that fight than there used to be. People talk about the NHL trying to get rid of fighting, yes they are, but a lot of it is because the players coming into the league are not fighters.

The chances of having 10 guys on the ice that are willing to fight would be quite rare in the modern NHL. I dont think the Blues even have 3 forwards who have started fights in the NHL

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Lmao.
This game is full of cowards. The newer age fan/social media fan with slow-mo this and that have taken over. It impacts every game. They want the softness.

Look at Tkachuk/Doughty. Big elbow, huge slashes, an attempted low bridge, media jabs, etc. It's a joke. Two guys should drop the gloves have it out and say this is settled. That's how it would go back in the day. And really, possibly even 5-10 years ago...
So. Much. This.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I want to invent a time machine for the fans of this kind of garbage so they can just keep going back to the seventies and watch the Broad Street Bullies over and over again.
Were you even alive in the 90s?

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Don't yell at the other coach for staging a fight when you have final line change, send out your goons and then have your defender take a faceoff?
So.. send out your top line and have the goons on New Jersey beat them up? Lol. Torts did exactly what he should have. NHL needs more of that. Not less.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
So.. send out your top line and have the goons on New Jersey beat them up? Lol. Torts did exactly what he should have. NHL needs more of that. Not less.

Right, so don't yell at the other coach when you willingly bought into what was happening. Guarantee nothing happens if Torts sends out his top line.. guarantee nothing happens if NJ doesn't send out their 4th line. Torts was a joke crying to media after that game. I'm sure sending out Stu Bickel to take a faceoff was just self-defense.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I think it will be really tough for a true 5 on 5 brawl on the ice where every guy is matched up and throwing punches. Most teams barely have 5 guys who will even legitimately fight. Will we see a brawl where maybe a couple guys on each team are throwing punches while the remaining six guys just hang around and grab someone? Most definitely.

I would love to see a true line brawl but I doubt it happens. The game has changed and which teams have 5 guys who would actually fight and not just hang on to someone?

Dallas has Benn, Oleksiak, Polak, Faksa, Perry who would certainly fight and maybe a couple more guys (Dickinson, Lindell, Comeau) who if they absolutely had to would throw down but even then who knows. I'm a Dallas fan so that is why I'm using them as an example.

Who is the toughest team right now? Vegas? Because of Reaves and Engelland. Engelland doesn't even fight anymore and once you get past a few guys (Reaves, Engelland, McNabb) the rest of that line up is Charmin soft. Just a totally different league than even 10 years ago and certainly different than the 80's-90's.

You aren't ever going to see a roster like the Ducks or Flames had 10-12 years ago. In 2006 the Ducks had George Parros, Shawn Thronton, Todd Fedoruk, Travis Moen, Shane O'Brien, Chris Pronger, Brad May, Chris Kuntiz, Sean O'Donnell and Ryan Getzlaf on the roster at some point that season. Kunitz is like the 12th toughest guy on that roster and now days he would probably be the toughest on some teams. Can you imagine a team now days rostering Parros, Thornton and Fedoruk? What's crazy is the Flames a year later probably had an even tougher line up than the above Ducks roster. The Flames had Eric Godard, Jim Vandermeer, Jarome Iginla, Corey Sarich, Dion Phaneuf, Eric Nystrom, Owen Nolan, Mark Smith and Robyn Regehr. Yeah that isn't ever happening again in my life time. Those two teams had over 70 regular season fights. That's about as many as the top three teams in fights last year combined had. The Bruins of a few years ago with Lucic, McQuaid, Chara and Thornton is probably the toughest we will get for a long time.

Sorry about the novel. tldr

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
In today's version of the NHL? Odds are, it would be more like the scene in the movie Meteor Man where they toss the How to be a Runway Model book back and forth and what happens after that.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Betting against a complete field and infinite time is always a hard one to take.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
when it happens again, it likely will be like the 2007 Buffalo vs Ottawa brawl where after a borderline hit, one teams sends out the first line when the other team sends out the goons to settle the score

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Most likely not without fans. I get that the NHL likes to pretend fighting doesn't exist, but there seems to be interest in it. Videos like this seem to have the most views on the channel:

And it's not even that crazy of a brawl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad