Will we ever see another line brawl in the NHL?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
A modern line brawl is 2 guys fighting while the other 8 just kinda hold each other. Everyone on the ice fighting at the same time? Nah that might cut into their post game beers to much.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
[MOD] I don't think it has much to do with the lack of line-brawls in today's NHL. I think it has more to do with the game simply evolving and safety becoming more of a concern as we learn more about head injuries. The game is much faster these days, and the players are much bigger/stronger, so there's a greater potential for serious injury. Newer, safer equipment and rules have done a good job of mitigating a lot of dangerous plays, but it's the overall change in mentality when it comes to physical play and where the line is that has decreased the amount of fights/big hits. Players are more reluctant because of stricter/harsher suspensions as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
[MOD] I don't think it has much to do with the lack of line-brawls in today's NHL. I think it has more to do with the game simply evolving and safety becoming more of a concern as we learn more about head injuries. The game is much faster these days, and the players are much bigger/stronger, so there's a greater potential for serious injury. Newer, safer equipment and rules have done a good job of mitigating a lot of dangerous plays, but it's the overall change in mentality when it comes to physical play and where the line is that has decreased the amount of fights/big hits. Players are more reluctant because of stricter/harsher suspensions as well.

yes, it this.

people (mostly those who don’t follow or play hockey) have always been outspoken about not liking the concept of fighting. As with every viewpoint on anything nowadays, there’s just more exposure for those who feel this way.

Fighting is going away because most players in league don’t see it as worth it. In effect, you have less and less young players making it into the game that want to fight and those who can just serve an enforcer role are useless in the current league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
With the continuously growing attention for player safety and awareness of long term effects from concussions, along with the lack of enforcer role players, fights/brawls seem to be dwindling.

My question is a simple one.
Will we ever again see a good ol’ fashion 5vs5/6vs6 line brawl?

My money would be that we do not see another one ever again, but I would like to hear the debate if you think I’m wrong.

I'll take you up on that bet seeing as I can't possibly lose as long as the NHL exists. Fighting is way down but these are still men full of adrenaline and playing with emotion. At some point we're going to get the right combination of hot heads. There will be a line brawl again.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
A modern line brawl is 2 guys fighting while the other 8 just kinda hold each other. Everyone on the ice fighting at the same time? Nah that might cut into their post game beers to much.
You think these guys drink post game beers these days? Not a chance.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
What exactly qualifies as a "line brawl"? Do all 10 skaters on the ice have to be actively fighting at the same time? Or does something like the Jets/Preds from last season count? What about what happened in the Avs/Coyotes game a few years ago after Rinaldo sucker punched Girard? Are those line brawls, or just multiple fights at the same time?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
sure. I bet I can go to youtube and find a recent one. Like when Emery beat the daylights out of Holtby. Pretty sure that was a full on line brawl

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I want to invent a time machine for the fans of this kind of garbage so they can just keep going back to the seventies and watch the Broad Street Bullies over and over again.

Reactions: Choralone

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is pretty close. The idea that the Backstrom hit was a cheap shot and that it was Orpik that went after Tkachuk is funny. But

Reactions: viper0220

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Line brawl? Lol, nope. There has to be animosity, emotion, and a hatred for the other team, which usually stemmed from some type of Claude lemieux-esque cheap shot. That hit would probably warrant half a season now, considering an open ice hit is usually 5+ game now.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This is pretty close. The idea that the Backstrom hit was a cheap shot and that it was Orpik that went after Tkachuk is funny. But

I think this is the closest we will get, it won't ever be like the good old days.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think this is the closest we will get, it won't ever be like the good old days.

As usual the old days are often romanticized well past the actual good that they were. Watching 10 guys fight and a goaltender beat another goaltender in a fearful way without any help to stop it, wasn't that good for me.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Vegas/Capitals
Bruins/Blues
Vegas/Sharks
Tampa/Capitals
Detroit/Tampa
Nashville/Winnepeg
Flames/Oilers?
Bruins/Habs?
Capitals vs Anybody really
Anaheim vs Anybody really

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Line brawl? Lol, nope. There has to be animosity, emotion, and a hatred for the other team, which usually stemmed from some type of Claude lemieux-esque cheap shot. That hit would probably warrant half a season now, considering an open ice hit is usually 5+ game now.

Have you watched a Caps Pens game? This idea that there are no more real rivalries is a load.

The Caps haven't forgotten this.

The Canes haven't forgotten this.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Canes don't have the firepower to match the Capitals in a brawl. Especially with Ferland gone. For a line brawl to happen....both sides need to have multiple willing combatants.

Thats why I'm mentioning teams like Washington/Anaheim/Vegas/Tampa/Minnesota/Blues/Jets/Preds?

I maybe be missing a couple more, but any combination of those teams above...have the ability to engage in a line brawl over something

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
The capitals v Flyers a few years back was pretty good. I was watching that game while it happened. Probably the best one in recent years imo

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
This game is full of cowards. The newer age fan/social media fan with slow-mo this and that have taken over. It impacts every game. They want the softness.

Look at Tkachuk/Doughty. Big elbow, huge slashes, an attempted low bridge, media jabs, etc. It's a joke. Two guys should drop the gloves have it out and say this is settled. That's how it would go back in the day. And really, possibly even 5-10 years ago...

Reactions: cliffclaven

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I doubt it.

You might see 3 or 4 guys total from both teams go at if someone throws a match in the powder keg but the rest of the other 6 or 7 players will mildly grab at each other hoping the linsemen will come and save them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad