Will we be average for years to come? How about mediocre?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I hope we draft Dahlin this year

Just imagine..

Karlsson - Chabot
Dahlin - Ceci/Cleasson
Haha

Instead we're looking at:

Chabot-Ceci
Boro-Sergachev
Harpur-Wideman

We're gonna be icing a roster that won't break 60 points for our team. Gonna be a lot of L's.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Woo, I was right that the Sharks would hang on to Logan Couture.

giphy.gif

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Looking back it's kind of funny.

I remember in 2011, the general consensus was that we were set for the future defensively(Karlsson,Cowen,Rundblad,Wiercoch, and Lehner in net), but lack firepower up front.

Now, it seems the opposite was true: Stone,Hoffman and Silfverberg are all top-six forwards, while Cowen,Rundblad and Wier are busts, and Lehner plays for another team.
Bump.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
All I have to say is Fuhr had this franchise pegged
you mean when he created the Sens >>> NHL thread?

Sadly, I think that one got scrubbed with the transition to Xenforo along my personal fave, cutlery Canada. Good times...

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There was a time the Sens were a glorious franchise

When I was growing up they plucked depth from the draft like nobodies business and brought in very talented players.

Guys like Arvedson, Dackell, Vermette, Pothier, White, Smolinski were sick

The Sens knew who they were and had a plan till about 2010.

This current team needs to stop trading picks and prospects... and go back to what they did so well.

Have a Dudly/Johnson type to build it up and then bring in a Muckler/Rutherford type to try and close it

Reactions: Benjamin

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
That first lockout... no olympics and Hasek is a year younger... that would have been Mucklers legacy... a shame we only remember him for his sweaters

Reactions: robsenz

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There was a time the Sens were a glorious franchise

When I was growing up they plucked depth from the draft like nobodies business and brought in very talented players.

Guys like Arvedson, Dackell, Vermette, Pothier, White, Smolinski were sick

The Sens knew who they were and had a plan till about 2010.

This current team needs to stop trading picks and prospects... and go back to what they did so well.

Have a Dudly/Johnson type to build it up and then bring in a Muckler/Rutherford type to try and close it
The Murray era was an average time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think this team will bounce back, it could take a few yrs & owner but they have enough very good prospects to build a good team from in time.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Team drafted very well overall from 92-01. They drafted horribly from 02-07. We lost some key players from 05-09 (Hossa,Havlat, Chara, Redden, Heatley) got shafted on the Havlat, Heatley, Bishop and Spezza deals, and didn’t have the depth in the organization to replace guys who left. Things seemed great after making the finals in 07, but how quickly we feel from grace.

When a drafting/developing team stops drafting and developing, you run into problems.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah when the cap was a fraction of what it is now. We can’t compete in the modern NHL.

Based on what? Our payroll? We need to spend more on hockey ops for sure, but you can compete in today’s nhl as a budget team. The cap is 79.5 million. If you spend in the low 70’s you can compete. You just have to spend wisely, which is one of Ottawa’s biggest problems. We’ve been competitive on a budget before, we can do it again.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Based on what? Our payroll? We need to spend more on hockey ops for sure, but you can compete in today’s nhl as a budget team. The cap is 79.5 million. If you spend in the low 70’s you can compete. You just have to spend wisely, which is one of Ottawa’s biggest problems. We’ve been competitive on a budget before, we can do it again.
We’re literally trying to be a cap floor team. Sorry, but you won’t be perennial contender like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Nashville, or even St. Louis by operating the team like Melnyk has.

Also, I like how nothing has changed from the posts 5 years ago in this thread.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
We’re literally trying to be a cap floor team. Sorry, but you won’t be perennial contender like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Nashville, or even St. Louis by operating the team like Melnyk has.

Also, I like how nothing has changed from the posts 5 years ago in this thread.

We’ve never been a floor team under the cap. I have no idea what our payroll will look like for next year because so much is up in the air right now. Teams like Arizona and Carolina seem like they have no intesrest in winning since they spent around 58 million last year. You can’t compete doing that, but where was Ottawa last year? 67-68 million? That’s not the floor. Much closer to the cap than the floor.

I admit it’s harder to win when you’re a budget team, but to say the team has no chance? Disagree. We’ve been competitive on a budget in the past. Last year for example. Budget team makes it to game 7 of the ECF. 98 points in the regular season. Also, if I thought my favourite team had no chance to win, I wouldn’t watch the games. What’s the point if you’ve already given up as a fan?

The only time I thought we had no chance was when were new. First few years in the league. No chance with that roster. Haven’t felt that way in more than 20 years. Melnyk needs to spend more on hockey ops, and I’d like to see more spent on the roster, but the team is also guilty of not spending wisely. Murray and Dorion were both guilty of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad