Will we be average for years to come? How about mediocre?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Being contender > being bad enough to get lotto picks >being mediocre >>>>> being bad enough to get lotto picks but not having your picks
tumblr_ohx2tqjgJW1u85xq6o2_500.gif

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We should have torn it down and not done a retool. New management is needed. Fresh set of eyes.

The fresh set of eyes thing....definitely needed. Whether it's Gm or assistant GM or pro scouts...we do need some different eyes to look at our players (and the rest of the league) from a neutral viewpoint. Melynk needs to open up the purse strings and add staff.

Reactions: topshelf15

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yes. As the cap rises, the worse we'll get. We don't have the resources to be a consistently good team.

We may get a young or desperate coach for peanuts this summer and squeak into the playoffs next year for a one-and-done, but that's about it.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I'm reading the first page of this thread (from 4 years ago) and the situation is pretty much exactly the same as it is now, just some names are different.

We've been running in circles for a decade now, but I'm sure an 8th seed appearance next year will make everyone forget.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That Fuhr poster was on point during the whole Murray era ... if only people listened

Yeah, kind of. He wouldn’t give Murray credit for anything and wouldn’t blame Muckler for anything. He even tried to argue the Arnason trade wasn’t bad. It certainly didn’t help us, but if Murray had made that deal I bet he would have thought differently.

Murray was a great coach, but not a great GM for us imo. I don’t like saying anything bad about him though. It’s sad he’s no longer with us. I miss him. He seemed like a very nice man.

I do think he stayed on for so long because it seemed like Melnyk loved him. Same thing happened in New York with the Rangers when Sather was GM. Apparently he and the owner were best friends and he never got fired even though the team did poorly. I mean, Murray’s teams did better than Sather’s, but you get my point.

Still love when he stood on the bench and yelled at Lindy Ruff in Buffalo. Was that more than a decade ago now? Time flies.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
It's such a simple process, really.

Melnyk sells team
New owner hires all new front office and coaching staff
New owner can trade Phaneuf and buy out Ryan
Draft Rasmus Dahlin
Erik Karlsson returns to elite status
Chabot stays Chaboting
Logan Brown becomes true #1 C
White, Chlapik, Batherson, and Formenton become top 6
Jaros becomes Volchenkov.
Ceci turns into 2007 Chris Phillips
Hogberg (pronounced Hog-bae) turns into Hogquist.
Win Cups.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
We have been average for years now and if we start trading off our best players we will probably be bad you years to come,. Especially if Karlsson leaves this will be a hard team to cheer for. I really hope Brown turns into a #1 center. We need a big presence in the middle.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yes. As the cap rises, the worse we'll get. We don't have the resources to be a consistently good team.

We may get a young or desperate coach for peanuts this summer and squeak into the playoffs next year for a one-and-done, but that's about it.

We need to spend more on staff if we're not gonna spend to the cap going forward. The only way you remain competitive while spending a lot less is by drafting and developing well so you have a bunch of good young cheap players before they become expensive. We also need to win most of our trades. We also can't afford to spend big money on average players.

Back in the Jacques Martin days we would never have had players like Ryan and Phaneuf making big money.

We would have guys like hossa or havlat sign for 2.6-4.5 million while letting the rangers pay 9 million for Bobby holik and we'd stay away. Now we're the ones paying the holiks of the world in Phaneuf and Ryan.

There was a time when the federovs commanded 10 million and we would stay well away. Why? Because we had enough talent coming through that we could sign for a couple million because they were RFAs. That's because our scouting and development was top notch.

Ufa age dropping from 30 to 27 makes it harder, but theres no reason we don't have the advantage until they're 27. Just keep drafting good young talent you keep cheap until they're too expensive to keep at 27. Let the other teams overpay for what they did in their early or mid 20s.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Will we be average for years to come?
You could have asked the same about last years team, since nobody (and I mean nobody) pegged the SENS to almost make it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Other than the absence of Method, we are pretty well the same team as last year.

EDIT: I should also mention the absence of Macarthur too, in time for the playoffs

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You could have asked the same about last years team, since nobody (and I mean nobody) pegged the SENS to almost make it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Other than the absence of Method, we are pretty well the same team as last year.

EDIT: I should also mention the absence of Macarthur too, in time for the playoffs
Everybody knows the Sens made it as far as they did because the got the best possible match ups.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
When you make moves like Zibanejad + 2nd for Brassard lmfaoooo its really hard to stay average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad