Will Valabik ever resemble Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gottokeeponrisin

Sep 22, 2005
California
His name was brought up quite frequently in the potential busts thread. It seems to be that alot of people have different opinions about him.

What do you guys think, not worthy of 10th overall in my opinion when you got guys like tukonen, radulov, and schremp left on the board.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
...I'm not sure how ugly Valabik is right now, but Chara has a nasty mug...I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone :sarcasm:

In truth: I doubt it. Valabik capitalized on being a huge defender on draft day, I doubt he pans out like Chara did. But you never know.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I doubt it. He isn't productive at the junior level and he can't handle the faster players at that level. If he plays in the NHL it will be as a #6 d-man who is out there to intimidate and fight (example: Cairns, Erskine).

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Gottokeeponrisin said:
His name was brought up quite frequently in the potential busts thread. It seems to be that alot of people have different opinions about him.

What do you guys think, not worthy of 10th overall in my opinion when you got guys like tukonen, radulov, and schremp left on the board.

Dont forget Andrej "not that much worse than Phaneuf" Meszaros

I'd say unless he has Chara's rediculous work ethic, then no there is no way he can do it.

Roy G Biv*

Chara has dedicated his life to becoming mobile. His work ethic off the ice is probably second to none.

Unless Valabik makes the same kind of commitment, I doubt it.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
No chance, IMHO. Before this year, I expected Valabik to become the next Dan Focht. Big, tough. #10/#11 overall in the draft. Good chance to bust. Now... I can see him perhaps at best adding a bit of Kjell Samuelsson to that mix... still big, still nasty, but also perhaps an effective containment defenseman, not just a Cairns/Focht part-timer.

Mihalik shows a bit more Chara flash potential than Valabik, IMHO.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
All of the Thrashers' defensive prospects are busts, imo including Coburn who just isn't a sharp kid. Popovic is our only decent D prospect, and considering that half of our D needs replacing soon our next draft needs to be D-heavy.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I say we'll find out in a few years from now, I personally like the pick and think it's worth it (Even if Valabik becomes a bust), the idea is he has Chara potential, and every once in a while it's not a bad idea to take a gamble if you think the reward can be huge.

And for the love of God stop rambling on and on about how they passed on Meszaros, the reality is the Thrashers were not the only ones who passed on him, and to be more clear on Meszaros he looks good so far, but let's look in 5 years when all these kids develop then say if Meszaros is truely the best d-man in this draft or not, let's give some time and chance to Smid, Thelen, Barker, and even Valabik then decide who truely was the best d-man from the first round, a lot of prospects is what you call late bloomers while others are early bloomers, Meszaros is clearly an early bloomer and currently ahead of the others, but will he stay that way? who know's, I personally believe all the others have the potential to be better, so let's wait and see.

superjonathan

Dec 18, 2003
london, uk
he's been 20 for under a month. give him some time. eveyone knew on draft day he was a project but seemed to forget that once everyone else in that draft started to produce. it's not like chara tore up the whl at the same age or anything.

that being said, i don't think he'll develop the offensive game that chara has but with hard work he could be a solid contributor to an nhl team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the Thrashers reached on this one, especially where they selected him. He'll play in the NHL, but I don't see the upside. Horrible skater and a very limited offensive game.

Last edited:

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Toxostoma Rufum said:
All of the Thrashers' defensive prospects are busts, imo including Coburn who just isn't a sharp kid. Popovic is our only decent D prospect, and considering that half of our D needs replacing soon our next draft needs to be D-heavy.
Aren't you the same numbnuts who said Kari Lehtonen was a total bust - damaged goods that would never amount to anything?

Yeah, I think you are.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I think the Thrashers reached on this one, especially where they selected him. He'll play in the NHL, but I don't see the upside. Horrible skater and a very limited offensive game.

Agreed. He's more Hal Gill than Zdeno Chara.

Camden

May 14, 2005
"Big Boris" has actually had a good year thus far. He has been very good defensively and has been a shutdown defender for Kitchener. He also has an attractive +16. Only has 9 PTS (1 goal) this year ... but he wasn't drafted for his offense. I guess an encouraging sign is that he won the "hardest shot" and in the World Juniors did quite well PT wise for Slovakia. You can see some talent there, but is definitely, very, very raw offensively.

I still find Valabik interesting. He is quite raw, but there is definitely talent there. When ATL drafted Boris, they knew he wasn't going to step in quickly, so IMO, it's way too early to call him a bust and way to early to guess his NHL future and who he compares to.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Anyone who could have told you that Zdeno Chara was going to be the current Zdeno Chara is either: a) absolutely incredible at predicting prospect growth or b) owns a time machine.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
Pete Rock said:
Anyone who could have told you that Zdeno Chara was going to be the current Zdeno Chara is either: a) absolutely incredible at predicting prospect growth or b) owns a time machine.

thats why Chara was drafted as a goon opposed to a player. Valabik was drafted as a player, so the judgement against the thrashers is much tougher than that against the Isles and Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->