Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He should be. In fact it should have happened after the 2nd round exit to the Pens, again! We all knew the team was gonna drop to this level...

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
He should be. In fact it should have happened after the 2nd round exit to the Pens, again! We all knew the team was gonna drop to this level...

I think a second round exit for this team would be the best case scenario.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Should he be? Yes. Today

Will he be? No. Probably not until we lose terribly our next 5 games or something. We are barely above .500 which is terrible in the NHL and Bruce was canned around the same record that we have now

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trotz seems like a caretaker coach, and not even a successful one at that. A manger rather than a leader. There is a difference.

He will not be fired this season while they still have shot at the playoffs. But the measuring stick for success will change in the offseason and barring an ECF run he will likely be gone.

edit: poll added

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
They didn't fire Boudreau until the team lost like seven straight.

This team isn't even close to that level.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They didn't fire Boudreau until the team lost like seven straight.

This team isn't even close to that level.

Not exactly true. You may be thinking about the losing streak from the previous season that led to the trap. When BB was fired they were 2-2 in their last 4 but looked terrible, and had come off a 4 game losing streak prior to that. They started the year 7-0

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
fwiw I picked the 3rd option. IMO this team has enough talent to squeak into the playoffs but not enough juice or discipline to go far, and the front office will be forced to act. This goes against their trend of holding on to coaches who make the postseason but I think they will recognize the clock is ticking on some contracts and stagnation has set in.

For perspective on the current situation the Caps have played 22 games, tied with the Penguins for the most games played in the Metro so far, and we're still 5th in the division with 3 teams right behind us including the Canes who have 3 games in hand and a 1 point deficit. The Rangers are also starting to turn it on. If the team keeps playing like they have 3 of the last 4 games they will be in the basement or just above waving at the Flyers (2 games in hand 3 points back) in a week or two. Then what?

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I picked option 2. The team is brutal right now, like Arizona/Colorado/Buffalo levels of brutal. I honestly don't see this team making the playoffs unless a huge change is made and:

a) I don't see a mid-season firing
b) I don't see Trotz making any huge changes in his system, it's just not in his DNA

I think this is going to go the way of 2013-14 where the team has brutal underlying play but hovers around a WC spot for most of the season until they eventually fall out of the playoffs late in the season.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I picked option 2. The team is brutal right now, like Arizona/Colorado/Buffalo levels of brutal. I honestly don't see this team making the playoffs unless a huge change is made and:

a) I don't see a mid-season firing
b) I don't see Trotz making any huge changes in his system, it's just not in his DNA

I think this is going to go the way of 2013-14 where the team has brutal underlying play but hovers around a WC spot for most of the season until they eventually fall out of the playoffs late in the season.

Trotz is a smart enough guy to see the writing on the wall. He knows he has to at least make the playoffs. When the flags start to go up and they fall further and further back he will try to push his usual buttons and when that fails he may get desperate enough to change some things up with the input of his assistants. I think he'll be in job preservation mode and could do something oddball, like when he dropped Ovie to the 3rd line. But once in the playoffs I expect him to stick to the script as long as possible, maybe too long, and then adapt too late yet again.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think there's a decent chance he gets got during the season. Getting booed off home ice and, most importantly, jeopardizing playoff revenue will erode ownership's faith in him. It's not to that point yet but this home stand will determine a lot going forward. If they just limp along I'm not sure he lasts until the new year.

There aren't obvious trade candidates. They're only missing one player. The sum is way less than the parts. If they go 3-5-0 or worse in the next eight they ought to do it because they'll have already set a very mediocre precedent and Trotz's job will only get more difficult. Of course, it's far easier to make a change during a long home stand when they can make better use of practice time to implement changes. Doing it on the fly on the road would be tough and, again, I don't think Reirden as the easy answer will be terribly effective. The door is somewhat open based on playoff revenue but it's hard to see ownership making an outside, non-interim in-season hire.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
He's not getting capped during the season. Thanks to goon for correcting me on that. If he turns out to be the wrong coach just don't extend him. Team is like four points behind first place in a competitive metro.

Fire him and replace him with who? And would he magically make this team play better or infuse more talent? I'd rather we wait until the offseason and see who's available.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
He's not getting capped during the season. Thanks to goon for correcting me on that. If he turns out to be the wrong coach just don't extend him. Team is like four points behind first place in a competitive metro.

Fire him and replace him with who? And would he magically make this team play better or infuse more talent? I'd rather we wait until the offseason and see who's available.

Firing him mid season likely results in Rierden getting 2-3 years

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

4pts out of first is the absolute rosiest, most positive spin anyone can put on this team's position. I already went through the view to the bottom so won't rehash that, but other than the Pens everyone ahead of them in points also has 1-2 games in hand. The Caps have TB, Toronto, LA and Ottawa to close out November. Those are all going to be tough matches. The Devils sit in first with 2 games in hand and the Bruins, Wings, Panthers and Canucks on tap. I'm betting the gap gets bigger by 12/1 and NJ will still have 2 games in hand.

The pressure will be on.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Given his contract situation I would bet he lasts through the season and then is not re-signed. Who knows if they make the playoffs. I voted yes but really it's a coin flip.

I'll be interested to see how GMBM approaches hiring a coach. IIRC he wasn't the decision maker on the Trotz hiring.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
To me it's a no-brainer and he should have been gone yesterday. He has no track record of developing young talent on offense, no track record of making adjustments to put the team is a better position during the playoffs, and has no answers for what ails them right now other than to have more effort in their game. He's grasping at straws, his time is up, and they need to can him for fresh blood before things are beyond repair.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I voted let go after missing the playoffs, after reading about Ted's loyalty thing, I don't think he fires him. The next 2 games are back to back, friday Tampa, saturday, Toronto, then 4 days off. Those games could possibly determine changes, and should we lose, a new coach would have a few days to get better acclimated to the team. Reirden and Forsythe, I think, are responsible for special teams, a predictable power play and ok penalty killing. Neither one, especially Reirden, should get promoted to head coach, an interim coach would be fine with me, provided he's brought in from outside the organization and the front office actually takes the time to find the right guy for this team, but I admit to being skeptical. I was going to vote Other, 'cause it wouldn't surprise me if Trotz gets promoted to Director of Player Development.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They need someone who will be in their shit. Trotz's temperament was great following the Oates debacle but he's kind of like Bruce in that players like him and respect him and things are great when they're going great, but they don't seem to respond to him when he puts on his Accountability hat and he doesn't seem to inspire a ton of confidence when the deck is stacked against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->