will this make any of us feel better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i am saddened to see the anguish some bruin fans feel over us not trading eriksson as an ufa... and also we traded boychuk as an ufa and didnt get enough... and also traded seguin and have nothing to show for it. not to mention dougie hamilton and of course tying up cap with chris kelly

i know most of these same fans love the chicago blackhawks who won the cup last year

so lets remember for our own happiness that they let brian campbell go for no return... traded away a young dustin byfuglin... a cam barker... an andrew ladd... tied up their cap on bryan bickell... are locked into a declining hossa until hes 106 years old

chicago just had to deal young star branden saed like we did hamilton

so are we really doing things differnt? yes they have more cups but their suck period in the 1990s was far more substantial than ours giving them a deeper pool of picks to build their fondation

a look at los angeles will show us a similar story.

maybe this is just how the nhl works and we arent so bad after all?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think the difference is Toews & Kane have been a more consistent duo than Bergeron & Krejci have been. Although it's debatable that Bergeron/ Marchand are up to the task this season. Also, Keith being locked in long term at that cap hit helps tremendously.

You left Patrick Sharp off your list

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think the difference is Toews & Kane have been a more consistent duo than Bergeron & Krejci have been. Although it's debatable that Bergeron/ Marchand are up to the task this season. Also, Keith being locked in long term at that cap hit helps tremendously.

toews and kane are not the guys id compare to bergeron/krejci to be honest. i think this is one area boston did fail in... toews and kane are similar to kessel and seguin for us.

id probably compare bergeron and krejci to seabrook and keith as more later picks.

but my main point is all teams do screwups... screwups dont cost you the cup because cup winners do screwups too.

the key to winning is to do enough good things that you outweigh the damage of your screwups. as a fan we all must live with screwups but the key to happiness is to celebrate the successes when we can.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
I was firmly on the "Trade Eriksson" bandwagon, but jumped right off when it came out that we couldn't get a first for him.

Now whether I believe that is a whole other story, but assuming it's true, I can't imagine anyone coming up with a good argument for trading him without something worthwhile coming back.

Edit - the big difference between how we handled Eriksson vs what Chicago does is that they are a perennial contender and most people didn't (some still don't) see us as much of a contender this year. I think the mentality of most fans would have been a lot different at the deadline if we appeared to be a much better team without the gaping holes that we have. Losing Loui for nothing would be a necessary risk if you're really going for a Cup (like if he had been in this situation in 2013), but losing him for nothing after a predictable first round exit (or worse, missing the playoffs) isn't acceptable.

Last edited:

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
We still need a D-man. One that can anchor our core now that Chara is on the decline. Since you mention Chicago, they have Keith, LA has Doughty...we need someone who can stabilize the Bs on that front.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
We still need a D-man. One that can anchor our core now that Chara is on the decline. Since you mention Chicago, they have Keith, LA has Doughty...we need someone who can stabilize the Bs on that front.

ill agree to that... but bourque was great and we didnt win a cup with him... park never won a cup. i agree we will need a very good dman (or 2-3 of them) but having a great dman isnt the magic formula for guarantee cup wins. nashville ottawa and montreal all have stud dmen but i dont feel they are closer to a cup than we are.

carolina managed to win a cup without a stud dman... it can happen. but definitely i hope we get one

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I was firmly on the "Trade Eriksson" bandwagon, but jumped right off when it came out that we couldn't get a first for him.

Now whether I believe that is a whole other story, but assuming it's true, I can't imagine anyone coming up with a good argument for trading him without something worthwhile coming back.

Edit - the big difference between how we handled Eriksson vs what Chicago does is that they are a perennial contender and most people didn't (some still don't) see us as much of a contender this year. I think the mentality of most fans would have been a lot different at the deadline if we appeared to be a much better team without the gaping holes that we have. Losing Loui for nothing would be a necessary risk if you're really going for a Cup (like if he had been in this situation in 2013), but losing him for nothing after a predictable first round exit (or worse, missing the playoffs) isn't acceptable.

agreed... there are 11 teams that won the cup in the past 20 years. only a couple were 1 and done. most of these teams remain competitive for years after their glory

teams like new jersey and detroit... pittsburg... they keep trying to win with their old core by bandaging it

of course in the past 20 years no team has more cups than detroit or new jersey and both continued to have success long after the experts said they must rebuild and were past their prime.

teams that do tear it apart sometimes never recover

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Having Keith + Seabrook for less than the Bruins have been paying Chara and Seids is a bigger factor in my mind.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
toews and kane are not the guys id compare to bergeron/krejci to be honest. i think this is one area boston did fail in... toews and kane are similar to kessel and seguin for us.

id probably compare bergeron and krejci to seabrook and keith as more later picks.

but my main point is all teams do screwups... screwups dont cost you the cup because cup winners do screwups too.

the key to winning is to do enough good things that you outweigh the damage of your screwups. as a fan we all must live with screwups but the key to happiness is to celebrate the successes when we can.

I meant in terms of carrying the team. Toews & Kane have been the key core players. Had Seguin been slightly better the Bruins would have 2 recent Cups equal to the Hawks. "Half of Kane"

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
These 2 things 100% contradict each other. :nod:

to be fair i lumped several complaints into one arguement. im sure not everyone subscribes to all these issues.

i guess my own arguement is this notion that a team must be perfect to deserve support. i understand human nature likes to complain but where are these examples of perfection that our team falls short?

one complaint might be that our team traded away player A but all teams make comparable trades. only 1 team wins the cup.

theres always going to be reasons 29 teams dont win... but focusing on these isnt the path to happiness. i think theres also reasons why 1 team does win. as fans i wish we can focus more on the positives and try to be happier... maybe even gain some perspective that winning is hard and deserves more respect when it does happen.

there arent many guarantees of success in pro sports

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
to be fair i lumped several complaints into one arguement. im sure not everyone subscribes to all these issues.

i guess my own arguement is this notion that a team must be perfect to deserve support. i understand human nature likes to complain but where are these examples of perfection that our team falls short?

one complaint might be that our team traded away player A but all teams make comparable trades. only 1 team wins the cup.

theres always going to be reasons 29 teams dont win... but focusing on these isnt the path to happiness. i think theres also reasons why 1 team does win. as fans i wish we can focus more on the positives and try to be happier... maybe even gain some perspective that winning is hard and deserves more respect when it does happen.

What a garbage strawman argument to devote a thread to.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Having Keith + Seabrook for less than the Bruins have been paying Chara and Seids is a bigger factor in my mind.

Not to be nitpicky, but Keith (5.538) + Seabrook (6.875) = 12.413m. Chara (6.916) + Seidenberg (4.000) = 10.916m. Even considering this year cap for Seabrook (it's the last @ 5.800. Becomes 6.875 for the remainder of the contract, so till 2023-24, according to Spotrac.com), it still comes out at 11.338m for the pair, still higher than Chara / Seidenberg combined.

PS: I am talking about cap hit, NOT salary.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Good Lord do you ever cease to include a "I am Superfan, hear me roar" message?

We get it, you are happy with President's Trophies and Division Champion banners.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I understand what your point is but I wish we could just enjoy the rest of this season without bringing up Loui no matter how the team is doing.

We're going to be talking about it all off-season and we've talked about it in almost every thread up until the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad