Will they cancel WJC?

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I believe the article I read on NHL.com mentioned TSN & RDS will still be broadcasting all games per Tom Renney the Hockey Canada CEO. Like always the NHL Network just shows the TSN feed for all non-USA games. If we can't send our broadcast crew for US games I'd imagine they'd just show the TSN feed for the U.S. games.
I'm good with that. I'd like to see everyone but gotta see the US kids. Thanks!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The WJC teams should be absolutely stacked this year if it’s played before the NHL season kicks off.

Reactions: lilidk

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If this actually goes down this would have been a good time to implement the format that TSN seems to suggest 18 times every year where D1A promotes immediately to the tournament 2 weeks later. Relegate someone this year and with the lower levels cancelled there would only be 9 teams for next year so you could play D1A mid December 2021 as usual and whoever wins promotes the same roster to the WJC starting December 26, 2021. Of course that has issues with players being gone from club teams for over a month.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
If this actually goes down this would have been a good time to implement the format that TSN seems to suggest 18 times every year where D1A promotes immediately to the tournament 2 weeks later. Relegate someone this year and with the lower levels cancelled there would only be 9 teams for next year so you could play D1A mid December 2021 as usual and whoever wins promotes the same roster to the WJC starting December 26, 2021. Of course that has issues with players being gone from club teams for over a month.
Compromise could be a best of three between the relegation candidate and the promotion candidate prior to the tournament.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Compromise could be a best of three between the relegation candidate and the promotion candidate prior to the tournament.
You'd have an extremely tired team if they win promotion having gone through a full WJC, playing another 2-3 games, then running the gauntlet in another WJC. That is not ideal.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
You'd have an extremely tired team if they win promotion having gone through a full WJC, playing another 2-3 games, then running the gauntlet in another WJC. That is not ideal.
You put last year's promoted team in though to prevent more than 2-3 extra games. I want to avoid situations where a group of 19 year olds win a country promotion, only to be unavailable the following year. Given that the players are already playing for their club teams, 2-3 extra games may be an advantage with regards to chemistry in the round-robin, which is more important for those teams.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Its literally no different than the teams doing camps, conditioning and exhibition games for the entire month leading up to it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This had better actually happen... Can't picture the holiday season with no World Juniors. Especially with no NHL.
If the NHL summer playoffs had bombed, I'd be skeptical but...

Given how well the NHL did, if the IIHF/ Hockey Canada follows their lead, the WJR's should go off without a hitch.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
If the NHL summer playoffs had bombed, I'd be skeptical but...

Given how well the NHL did, if the IIHF/ Hockey Canada follows their lead, the WJR's should go off without a hitch.
Could be one of the best tournaments of all time if the NHL is off during that time as well.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
With the NFL running into more issues (the Bills-Titans game is now postponed), let`s hope the IIHF and Hockey Canada take their lead from the NHL and keep the bubble tight.

Having said that, a vaccine may be available by December so...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
With the NFL running into more issues (the Bills-Titans game is now postponed), let`s hope the IIHF and Hockey Canada take their lead from the NHL and keep the bubble tight.

You mean this?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Hardly. I mean, vaccines are already available, they just aren't properly tested. And as far as I understand, it takes 6 months for stage 3 alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->