Will they cancel WJC?

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Best out of any realistic outcomes at this point. Could easily get some extra top end talent depending on what the NHL does.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If the WJC kicks off before the NHL season, that would be pretty good for teams with top prospects in the tournament.

Newhook, Caufield, Byfield, Stutzle, Krebs, Cozens, Lafreniere (obviously) and more could make the jump, perhaps seamlessly, after a big learning experience for them.

If Newhook and Caufield make a commitment to the CHL or a European team, they can get a full NHL camp before the WJCs. Also a pretty big incentive to sign with their big clubs.

Last edited:
Reactions: wings5

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I wonder what this means for lower tiers, I don't think smaller countries can spend such resources for enforcing proper bubble conditions. Hopefully every division is played out.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder what this means for lower tiers, I don't think smaller countries can spend such resources for enforcing proper bubble conditions. Hopefully every division is played out.
Looks like it is cancelled.

With the exception of the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship, all lower division tournaments in the men’s U20 category will be cancelled. The 2021 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 Women’s World Championship will also be cancelled together with all other tournaments in the women’s U18 category.

see

Reactions: ozo

ozo

Feb 24, 2010

With the exception of the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship, all lower division tournaments in the men’s U20 category will be cancelled. The 2021 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 Women’s World Championship will also be cancelled together with all other tournaments in the women’s U18 category.

see

Thank you for ruining my day... :D I guess it means no relegation from top tier this year?

Reactions: kabidjan18

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Thank you for ruining my day... :D I guess it means no relegation from top tier this year?
Sorry for bad news, not my fault.

Regarding the relegation, you are right.

Following the cancellation of the 2021 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Division I Group A, the IIHF Council confirmed that there will not be any team relegated from the 2021 World Juniors.

The relegation round of the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship will therefore be removed from the new tournament schedule.

see

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

see
TV revenue must cover the costs for the WJCs. It’s great we get our Christmas tourney to watch. Euro teams will be in mid season form, because their guys are playing games. Might see Russia dominate.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
TV revenue must cover the costs for the WJCs. It’s great we get our Christmas tourney to watch. Euro teams will be in mid season form, because their guys are playing games. Might see Russia dominate.

if that is true why are tickets so expensive?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
if that is true why are tickets so expensive?
Profits to help offset the costs of other IIHF events. That’s why all the other events were cancelled; they don’t have the TV revenue to be cost effective.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
If the WJC kicks off before the NHL season, that would be pretty good for teams with top prospects in the tournament.

Newhook, Caufield, Byfield, Stutzle, Krebs, Cozens, Lafreniere (obviously) and more could make the jump, perhaps seamlessly, after a big learning experience for them.

If Newhook and Caufield make a commitment to the CHL or a European team, they can get a full NHL camp before the WJCs. Also a pretty big incentive to sign with their big clubs.

jack Hughes could be made available as well since the NHL season won’t be underway.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
At least on paper a Canada vs. USA with all their players could be epic Laf, Dach, Byram, Cozens, Byfield, Mcmicheal, Perfetti, Krebs vs. Hughes, Turcotte, Caulfield, Zegras, Boldy and Knight

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
At least:

The IIHF added that the men’s U18 and senior tournaments remain on schedule for next spring, including the men’s senior and women’s’ World Championships.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
What's the tv situation in the US? I hope and assume the NHL Network will carry all the games.

I believe the article I read on NHL.com mentioned TSN & RDS will still be broadcasting all games per Tom Renney the Hockey Canada CEO. Like always the NHL Network just shows the TSN feed for all non-USA games. If we can't send our broadcast crew for US games I'd imagine they'd just show the TSN feed for the U.S. games.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad