Will these prospects stick in the NHL this year

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Alexander Radulov........there has been some talk that he could wind up playing in the AHL however he apparently had a strong camp last season and almost made it then.

Rob Schremp..........dont know much about his chances would like info.

Phil Kessel.......he signed with the B's so he def isnt going back to College.....what are the chances he plays in the NHL.......if not will it be the OHL?

Cam Barker....I think he likely will stick but what are other opinions.

Anze Kopitar ............dont know much here.

Patrick O sullivan........likely to make it ?

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Alexander Radulov........there has been some talk that he could wind up playing in the AHL however he apparently had a strong camp last season and almost made it then.

Rob Schremp..........dont know much about his chances would like info.

Phil Kessel.......he signed with the B's so he def isnt going back to College.....what are the chances he plays in the NHL.......if not will it be the OHL?

Cam Barker....I think he likely will stick but what are other opinions.

Anze Kopitar ............dont know much here.

Patrick O sullivan........likely to make it ?

I would be willing to bet that every single one of those players make their respective teams and play fairly big roles. Radulov is pretty much a shoe-in, showing last year that he is completely dominant and has amazing offensive skills.

The signing of Kessel pretty much solidifies him a spot on the roster.

Barker is a sure bet, as he has had a great development, and Chicago will be in desperate need of his offensive abilities.

O'Sullivan will make the Kings without question as he put up huge numbers in the AHL last year, proving his ability to play with men.

Kopitar is also likely. Would have made the team last year if he hadn;t opted out himself. Now it's a question of whether he's willing to stay in North America this year.

Schremp is a bit of a toss up. Nobody knows how he will take his transition from junior to the NHL, as he just might not have the speed or strength to keep up.

All-in-all, this looks like a great season for rookies.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Barker is far from a sure bet.

He looked good in prospects camp, but the odds are stacked against him to START the year in chicago.

Our D going into camp is pretty firm with these 4 guys:

Aucoin
Seabrook
Keith
Vandermeer

That leaves two spots for the remaining players:

Cullimore
Kukkonen
Barker
Byfuglien
Wisniewski
Richmond

What people have to realize is that (1) The hawks are cheap, very cheap; and (2) They want Cullimore to play well to help the team and to become tradeable.

Lasse Kukkonen is a good, quiet, dman in the Toni Lydman mold. He demanded (and received) a one-way contract.

Final factor: Barker's bonus structure is pretty high as the #3 overall pick. Bringing him up 1/2 way through the year gives the team greater flexibility cap wise (and probably saves the old man some $$$$).

I think cynically looking at it, you'll see Kukkonen and Cullimore rounding out the top 6. One of them will likely be traded early on (barring no injuries) making room for barker.

The other players I listed above should also not be discounted. Byfuglien looked better than expected, and I think Wisniewski looked great with his unique blend of skill and tougness in that sub 6' frame. Both of these kids can play Forward if need be, making them more ideal #7s.

Moral of the story: Barker is far from a lock.

-fullmetalninja

Top Cheddar

Aug 2, 2005
Radulov should secure a 2nd line spot. That would mean Hartnell has to go. If Radulov doesnt play on the 2nd line he'll be getting plenty of ice time in the AHL and will obviously be the Preds first callup should injuries occur on the top 2 lines.

I think Schremp will start the season in the AHL. Especially when Mikhnov signs. I think Schremp needs seasoning at the pro level before he can make a real impact with the Oilers.

I think Kessel will do like Perry/Getzlaf in the AHL last year. Play 20-30 games scoring 40 some points and then will get a permanent spot on the Bruins.

Barker should be good as the 5/6th dman in Chicago. He should play a full year. I see Cullimore as being the 7th dman and being scratched on most nights.

Kopitar and O'Sullivan probably wont both make the team. They are both centermen and it would serve them no good to play on a 3rd or 4th line. Conroy should be centering the first unit alongside Frolov and Cammalleri. The 2nd line center is wide open though and I would see one of the two grabbing this spot. They could also trade time during the season should either player struggle with the Kings.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kopitar and O'Sullivan probably wont both make the team. They are both centermen and it would serve them no good to play on a 3rd or 4th line. Conroy should be centering the first unit alongside Frolov and Cammalleri. The 2nd line center is wide open though and I would see one of the two grabbing this spot. They could also trade time during the season should either player struggle with the Kings.

That's half true; both won't make the team at the very beginning, most likely. However, O'Sullivan is likely going to be played on the wing, where he spent pretty much all of last season in Houston.

From management's mouth, they're not going to rush Kopitar. Unless he makes a strong showing at camp to begin with, he'll probably start the season in Manchester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad