Will there be another Zidlicky for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
There's no one in Zidlicky's league. Prior to joining the Preds he was chasing the point-per-game line even with poor forwards ahead of him, no one still in Europe can do that (well, Nummelin has taken a shot at the NHL). If he had been drafted by a healthy organization, he would've been in the NHL already back in 2001.

Pöck and Roach have already demonstrated their talent, to an extent. As far as less proven players go, Janne Niskala ('81) is an intriguing undrafted prospect, more info to follow in an article soon.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Laituri said:
There's no one in Zidlicky's league. Prior to joining the Preds he was chasing the point-per-game line even with poor forwards ahead of him, no one still in Europe can do that (well, Nummelin has taken a shot at the NHL). If he had been drafted by a healthy organization, he would've been in the NHL already back in 2001.

Pöck and Roach have already demonstrated their talent, to an extent. As far as less proven players go, Janne Niskala ('81) is an intriguing undrafted prospect, more info to follow in an article soon.

What about Toni Soderholm? He was named the SM-Liiga's top defender and although his numbers this year weren't quite what Zidlicky put up for the same team last year (47 pts to 37), Soderholm is a heck of a lot bigger. I've never seen him play, so is there any reason you wouldn't think he'd make a smooth transition to North American hockey?

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
One of the key aspects of Zidlicky's success was a revamped D-core in Nashville. He was able to step in to a 20 minute (including 6 and half minutes of PP per game) a night role as our team's top line PP pointman along with a wonderfully complementary player in Timonen. I doubt you will find another Dmen that will step into a better situation than that.

thestonedkoala

I think that if Burns stay on defense, everyone will be mighty surprised at how well rounded the guy really is.

pooler99

Sep 28, 2002
Krynn
Visit site
USC Trojans said:
Not really considered a prospect anymore, but Marc Andre Bergeron should be able to put up 40+ points next season.
Yes he and Liles had a great season Do you know if Bergeron was on the first unit of PP at the end of the season??

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Does anyone have any real insight on some older Europeans that could be coming over? There are a few I've seen at various tournaments that have been fairly impressive, not sure how that would translate to a North American style of game. Guys like Soderholm, Jan Benda, Andy Roach. Anyone with insights?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kritty said:
Does anyone have any real insight on some older Europeans that could be coming over? There are a few I've seen at various tournaments that have been fairly impressive, not sure how that would translate to a North American style of game. Guys like Soderholm, Jan Benda, Andy Roach. Anyone with insights?

Well, Benda's spent a bunch of time in North America - played in the OHL with Oshawa and played some minor pro after that. He came back to NA a few years after that with Washington but his skating just wasn't up to par and he spent most of the year in the AHL. He's 32 now so you can probably close the book on him ... can't say he didn't have his chances.

The other two, yeah, would be nice to have some insight from people who have seen them more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad