Will there be an announcement today? (saturday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
IMO, No. I think that a deal in principle is almost done, but I don't think anything will be announced until after the Super Bowl, although advertising during the Super Bowl could be effective something like "miss the physicality of Football during the offseason, well, watch the NHL etc...." or something like that with an ad showing fights and hitting and good plays. I think that would get some fans.

BUt still, I expect something early next week.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Will there be an announcement today? (saturday)

Maybe along the lines of an announcement of hockey to start, or the "big one" ?
The announcement to be made will be "we still have some idealogical differences, but the lines of communication are open...

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Personally, I think if anything they are just going to blow us away at some point and announce the start of the season out of nowhere. I don't expect a media frenzy regarding it though, they won't know ahead of time. If the media gets wind of anything, I expect it to be the cancellation.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
GregStack said:
Personally, I think if anything they are just going to blow us away at some point and announce the start of the season out of nowhere. I don't expect a media frenzy regarding it though, they won't know ahead of time. If the media gets wind of anything, I expect it to be the cancellation.

I agree with you. The most telling thing I saw so far was when this round of negotiations ended without the usual round of press conferences. My guess they are locked up somewhere, either seperately or together hashing it out. The day Mattius Ohlund leaves to play for Lulea, I will know it is over.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
deathbear said:
ohlund is already in sweden...? sorry, i don't follow.

No he is not, he is right here in Vancouver. His son had surgery this month. Oh and Ohlund is Trevor Lindens road roomate and has been for years. The one thing that did upset me was seeing Cloutier leave, he is Trevors best friend, however he is only replacing an injured player as a favor to his brother, he could be back any time.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
vanlady said:
I agree with you. The most telling thing I saw so far was when this round of negotiations ended without the usual round of press conferences. My guess they are locked up somewhere, either seperately or together hashing it out. The day Mattius Ohlund leaves to play for Lulea, I will know it is over.

On the other hand, you got Alfredsson (who should be pretty informed) who started to play in the SEL a few weeks back, just before the new set of talks begun. I don't know what to make of it. My gut feeling is that they will make a deal and play whatever there is left of the season, however much of a farse it will be to give away the Stanley Cup after a 20 game season, I think it could probably be done.

I hope this isn't the case though, because it would leave all the SEL (and other European league teams) with two thirds of their teams left for playoffs since they can't bring up replacements after the 31st of january.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Riddarn said:
On the other hand, you got Alfredsson (who should be pretty informed) who started to play in the SEL a few weeks back, just before the new set of talks begun. I don't know what to make of it. My gut feeling is that they will make a deal and play whatever there is left of the season, however much of a farse it will be to give away the Stanley Cup after a 20 game season, I think it could probably be done.

I hope this isn't the case though, because it would leave all the SEL (and other European league teams) with two thirds of their teams left for playoffs since they can't bring up replacements after the 31st of january.

The common thought that I have heard on this one, is players on the executive went to europe when the talks were at there lowest. I agree that with how secrative things have gotten that they are closer to a deal than anyone knows.

I also agree that this would not be fair to the european teams, however my understanding is a lot of the displaced players were in the minors and I do beleive that the SEL would grant a special pick up date if there was a mass exodus from the league, or at least I hope so.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Riddarn said:

Maybe thats why talks started up with that clown out of the picture?

as far as fairness to the euro leagues.. they shouldnt have signed NHLers and displaced the hard-working euro players trying to do something they love. You talk about tragedies of the lockout aside from the obvious... I say screw the teams that decided to sign more than two NHLers to their rosters, it was their gamble so it would be their loss.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
vanlady said:
I also agree that this would not be fair to the european teams, however my understanding is a lot of the displaced players were in the minors and I do beleive that the SEL would grant a special pick up date if there was a mass exodus from the league, or at least I hope so.

That has already been discussed. It won't happen. Teams will have to turn to junior players from their own systems (that's 18 and 19 year olds) to fill their teams.

futurcorerock said:
as far as fairness to the euro leagues.. they shouldnt have signed NHLers and displaced the hard-working euro players trying to do something they love. You talk about tragedies of the lockout aside from the obvious... I say screw the teams that decided to sign more than two NHLers to their rosters, it was their gamble so it would be their loss.

I actually agree. However, it only takes one team in a league to sign one player to get the snowball effect going. Both to stay competitive and to not alienate their fans by not having the same "star power" as the other teams in the league. So I think it was pretty hard to avoid, especially here in sweden since Forsberg signed.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
are the 2 sides pouting in their corners or is there any negotiation going on between the idiots? what do you think? also Healy is just a puppet and i wonder if he gets paid more by tsn or the nhlpa

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
snakepliskin said:
are the 2 sides pouting in their corners or is there any negotiation going on between the idiots? what do you think? also Healy is just a puppet and i wonder if he gets paid more by tsn or the nhlpa
Negotiations, undoubtedly. This time apart and silence is largely due to the owner reps, player reps at said meetings back with their constituents to discuss issues involving the talks.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Healy is suppose to side with the players, and Mckenzie is suppose to side more with the owners. Thats the whole point of their segments is to have conflicting voices. It's basically the TSN version of any political debate show.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Healy is suppose to side with the players, and Mckenzie is suppose to side more with the owners. Thats the whole point of their segments is to have conflicting voices. It's basically the TSN version of any political debate show.

Oh wow, you mean they don't actually think exactly what they say?! lol

I love the people around here who think that the people who say these thing sthink exactly what they are saying. It's so cute to have blind faith in things these days.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
GregStack said:
Oh wow, you mean they don't actually think exactly what they say?! lol

I love the people around here who think that the people who say these thing sthink exactly what they are saying. It's so cute to have blind faith in things these days.

Tell us what you really think. no, I mean it . Reeeeeaaaaaallllllly. :joker:

Muleskinner

Jan 26, 2005
Marching to the sea
futurcorerock said:
Maybe thats why talks started up with that clown out of the picture?

I agree with that.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
PanthersRule said:
IMO, No. I think that a deal in principle is almost done, but I don't think anything will be announced until after the Super Bowl, although advertising during the Super Bowl could be effective something like "miss the physicality of Football during the offseason, well, watch the NHL etc...." or something like that with an ad showing fights and hitting and good plays. I think that would get some fans.

BUt still, I expect something early next week.

I like your optimism... I also dream the the players and the owners are lying to us right now and that, in fact, the talks are going great and they're coming up with something...

fingers crossed...

but my reason says: OVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad