Line Combos: Will there be a log jam at left defense next season?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
https://www.tsn.ca/five-marlies-who-could-push-for-nhl-roster-spots-next-season-1.1317825

Timothy Liljegren, 20, RD
2018-19 season: If it weren’t for the high ankle sprain Liljegren suffered on Dec. 1, his sophomore AHL season might have looked quite different. Liljegren began the year on the Marlies’ top pairing with Calle Rosen, while also contributing to both special teams. There were rumblings the Leafs were planning to recall him to the NHL around mid-winter. The ankle sprain prevented that ...

Liljegren: “After my high ankle sprain, I think I took big steps in my development and I got a lot of ice time from Sheldon. My defensive game has stepped up; that’s the area I’ve improved the most. I stood still in my offensive side, so I need to improve on that. I want to bring the second half of my season into training camp next year.”
Coach Sheldon Keefe: “Liljegren coming back from his injury the way he did and blossoming and being such a responsible and reliable defensive player to go with the offensive attributes he has, that helped us tremendously.”

Lindgren and Kivihalme are unknown to us.

One thing that can't be overlooked ... he isn't new to the smaller dimensions of the NA sheet.

Teemu Kivihalme
May 2019 – 23-year-old free agent defenseman Kivihalme has signed a one-year entry level contract with the Maple Leafs. Kivihalme was originally drafted by the Predators but after not showing much progress during his NCAA years, he never received a contract offer from them and therefore his rights expired. Despite having a completely Finnish name, Kivihalme has been born and raised in USA. But his father is Finnish, and therefore Kivihalme decided to jump to Finland after his college career. It appears that was the perfect place for him because his game has developed tremendously over the past two years.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
No there won’t be. It’ll be Rielly-Muzzin-Rosen. Dermott will move to the right just like her did once the leafs acquired Muzzin last season.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Rielly-
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-
That's the way I see it. Dermott played his off side shortly after we got Muzzin.

Reactions: Ciao

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There is a chance that they might move some one to right side and I am also expecting a trade of two

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Rielly-
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-
That's the way I see it. Dermott played his off side shortly after we got Muzzin.
Let's see what the Leafs need to give Carolina to get Hamilton. I can't remember which writer said Kapanen plus. I do that on a nanosecond, but I very much doubt it's realistic.

The Leafs don't need any more depth on defence: they need one top-level RHD to partner with Reilly. Then all else makes sense.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The right side is an absolute mess without Zaitsev, he showed he could play against the best with Muzzin and will be a huge loss if he is actually traded (I don't like the idea of playing Dermott on his wrong side on the top line with Rielly

Ideally I would like,

1a Muzzin - Zaitsev
1b Rielly - Dermott
3 Rosen - Liljegren

If Zaitsev is gone I think I would try

Muzzin/Rielly - Rielly/Muzzin
Dermott -???
Rosen - Liljegren (they played a ton together this year)

I would love to get Pesce from Carolina

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
kapanen + XXX for pesce
zaitsev + XXX for tanev

johnsson - matthews -nylander
hyman - tavares - marner
marleau - kadri - bracco
moore - goat - brown

rielly - pesce
muzzin - liligren
dermott - tanev