Line Combos: Will there be a log jam at left defense next season?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott
*Rosen
Sandin
Borgman
Kivihalme

Are the bottom 3 going to remain on the Marlies?

Does Sandin have more of an upside than Dermott?

What will our D look like?

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would assume there will be some moves over the summer that will answer that question.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Add Rosen to that logjam as well. I'd expect Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Rosen in the top six, with Dermott playing his off hand side. Maybe Borgman makes the team, but not necessarily the lineup every game. Perhaps Kivihalme earns a starting spot and the team goes with a 5-1 LHD/RHD split as they did once Muzzin replaced Ozhiganov.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
One of muzzin or Dermott will play the right side.

Rosen is third pairing.

Sandin likely gets a few games later in the year. Probably not enough to burn an elc year.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nope. Kivihalme will be a Marlies. Sandin will start with the Marlies. Borgman is a depth defenseman at best, probably takes over Marincins role as the press box guy.

Rosen can play the right. Dermott can as well. Rielly too. There are options there. This is what it looks like, more or less, at this time:

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Rosen - Liljegren
Borgman - Holl

I'd expect a trade or two though.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Hopefully babcock learns to play guys. You can't have them sit on the bench for extended periods of time, and then give them a game here and there and expect them to flourish. And you can't complain about depth when you do that

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly - ???
Muzzy - Dermott
Rosen - ???

Z will get traded likely.
Hainsey may come back at right AAV for 1 year.
Gards is gone.
Trades will help fill in the ??? spots.
Sandin and Lily will get another year of development but will both get call up duty.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who plays D depends on who they acquire and who they trade, expansion protection, starting ELC clocks, and the cap situation.

They have a lot of work to do just to make the playoffs next year.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Nope. Kivihalme will be a Marlies. Sandin will start with the Marlies. Borgman is a depth defenseman at best, probably takes over Marincins role as the press box guy.

Rosen can play the right. Dermott can as well. Rielly too. There are options there. This is what it looks like, more or less, at this time:

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Rosen - Liljegren
Borgman - Holl

Agree with everything but the lineup.

I would be very hesitant to put Dermott on the top pairing. He struggled during the playoffs and a bit during the later part of the season in his sheltered 3rd pairing role. I think he should play a year at the 2nd pairing level to see how he does before he is tossed to the wolves on the top pairing.

Well I guess it also depends if Babcock uses Muzzin+Z against other teams best players like during the playoffs and therefore are considered the top pairing.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Who plays D depends on who they acquire and who they trade, expansion protection, starting ELC clocks, and the cap situation.

They have a lot of work to do just to make the playoffs next year.
They have zero worries about expansion - with the young D-men, at least.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think if Dermott is on his wrong side, we have not had a good summer.

Actually look for him to be traded.
I think we must find a partner for Mo. We will have to pay a price for that player. Given that we have Sandy developing well, some other LD noted here, he's probably expendable.
He will also have to be protected in the E-draft.

If he's not traded, he should be LD3.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Agree with everything but the lineup.

I would be very hesitant to put Dermott on the top pairing. He struggled during the playoffs and a bit during the later part of the season in his sheltered 3rd pairing role. I think he should play a year at the 2nd pairing level to see how he does before he is tossed to the wolves on the top pairing.

Well I guess it also depends if Babcock uses Muzzin+Z against other teams best players like during the playoffs and therefore are considered the top pairing.

Dermott is ready. I also think he had a bit of a rough playoff series but was very effective throughout the season, at least before he got injured. He can replace Hainseys role to a certain degree to me.

Either way, like I said, it's not what I think will be the lineup come October... At this time it is though.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Dermott is ready. I also think he had a bit of a rough playoff series but was very effective throughout the season, at least before he got injured. He can replace Hainseys role to a certain degree to me.

Either way, like I said, it's not what I think will be the lineup come October... At this time it is though.
He has been playing some of the most sheltered minutes in the league for a defenseman the past 2 years and you want to play him with Rielly who got among the toughest matchups/Qoc in the entire league last year.

I just dont think it is a recipe for success and may be rushing the kid. Personal opinion of course but it is a big ask especially as your also playing him on his offside

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He has been playing some of the most sheltered minutes in the league for a defenseman the past 2 years and you want to play him with Rielly who got among the toughest matchups/Qoc in the entire league last year.

I just dont think it is a recipe for success and may be rushing the kid. Personal opinion of course but it is a big ask especially as your also playing him on his offside

Yes. That's what development is to me. I think his skillset is far superior to Hainsey and I think he'd be well suited for that kind of role with Rielly. With Muzzin around and maybe even Zaitsev, I think minutes will be distributed quite a bit differently next season.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Rosen - Liljegren
Borgman - Holl

Sandin was better than Liljegren this year imo. But I’d rather have both on the Marlies, even the American D we got from Finland.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
With Zaitsev and Gardiner likely gone, our D core looking into July 1st is Reilly, Muzzin, Dermott and Rosen. This leaves 2 slots open. I wouldn't be opposed in signing Hainsey to a 1 yr deal to play the right side with Rosen on bottom pair. It is the slot next to Reilly that needs to be filled. Replacing Gardiner with Rosen is a great start, but we need to find a competent RHD to play in the Top 4 which is an upgrade on Hainsey that was there. Hainsey is an upgrade on bottom pairing over who ever we had there this past season (Oz, Holl, Marincin)

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yes. That's what development is to me. I think his skillset is far superior to Hainsey and I think he'd be well suited for that kind of role with Rielly. With Muzzin around and maybe even Zaitsev, I think minutes will be distributed quite a bit differently next season.
I guess I'm more a fan of the linear development side where you bring him into the league on the 3rd pairing for a year or two then move him onto the 2nd pairing to see how he handles top 6 opposition.

I also think asking Dermott to play with Rielly may stunt Dermott's puck moving/offensive development in a way as he will be asked to play a role he shouldnt be (I.e. a defensive defender to cover Rielly like Hainsey has been doing).

Edit: I would prefer something like:

Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Z

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Without trades? Dermott?
What I was saying is that the only expansion issues they have is with who is currently on the roster. Lily and Sandin are exempt. Right now I only see Rielly, Muzzin, and Dermott requiring protection.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What I was saying is that the only expansion issues they have is with who is currently on the roster. Lily and Sandin are exempt. Right now I only see Rielly, Muzzin, and Dermott requiring protection.

Muzzin will be gone and Rielly will be a pending UFA but he and Dermott will require protection. If Dermott is still around.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Muzzin will be gone and Rielly will be a pending UFA but he and Dermott will require protection. If Dermott is still around.
I think Muzzin will be around - his wife likes to be close to home. Rielly will have one year left. I can't see them moving Dermott.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think Muzzin will be around - his wife likes to be close to home. Rielly will have one year left. I can't see them moving Dermott.

Re-signing Muzzin will depend on whether they make the playoffs next year and how much turbulence there is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->