Will there be a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
incawg said:
I swore I wouldn't get my hopes up anymore after they've been dashed so many times, but dammit if I can help it. I love this sport too much. Yes, I think there will be a deal.

My sentiment exactly. SAVE THE CUP. :handclap:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Until I read "Game On!" on TSN or Sportsnet, I think I'm going to have to stay on the pessimistic side. I could easily see the players proposal being insufficient for what the owners want and Bettman flat-out rejecting it. The NHLPA IS THAT STUPID (from what they've shown so far) to come to this meeting with yet another worthless deal that doesn't adresse the problems the owners need addressed.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Sadly, I don't think it will get done. I believe that Bettman will insist that it be based on one of the NHL proposals. Goodenow and the players don't seem like they will accept this on top of everything that has already transpired. It wasn't just the differential in the last deal; Bettman could not have missed the indexing included. :cry:

Vic Rattlehead*

I fully believe it will get done. Hell, even Gretzky and Lemieux are going to be in the negotiating. If a deal isn't made though, negotiations in the future will be ridiculous and the cap will get harder.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
go_leafs_go02 said:
read what he said..he said they are not meeting not to make a deal...two negatives equal a positive..in other words, they are meeting to make a deal.. I'm pretty sure he voted "yes".
You're right.

I can take some comfort that I wasn't the only one who misread his post.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Sice they were so close I think yes they will get it done. If they had done it today it would have my perfect birthday.
Though if they don't get it done I'll probably feel dissapointed so I don't want to get my hopes too high.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The Hockey News is confident.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/headlines/detail.asp?id=27358&cat=954945254360

The NHL season is expected to be "un-canceled" Saturday in New York.

A player close to the talks who asked to remain anonymous told The Hockey News the two sides have agreed to a deal in principle that features a $45-million salary cap. Asked if there was any way a deal won't get done, the player said,
"not that I can see. I couldn't possibly imagine the idea that somebody is going to try to make a name for themselves in the last minute here."

:gman:

dance gman dance

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
My girlfriend thought I was crazy this weekend because since Bettman cancelled the season I've been telling her that they would agree on a new CBA before Monday. Well, we're there. I'm not overly surprised, as it was in the best interest of the players to get a deal now and since the owners don't want to miss a whole season either if the deal is good enough. With a last offer of $42.5M, there had to be room for some more $ (you always leave a bit of room on your final offer, otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot), especially with Bettman hinting that way.

My only concern is that a majority of owners don't want anything to do with the $45M deal. Hopefully, Bettman can find 8 owners to support that cap (probably Lemieux and Greztsky if they both participated in the negociations, Wings owner, Rags owner, Tom Hicks, Colorado's owner, etc).

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Smail said:
My girlfriend thought I was crazy this weekend because since Bettman cancelled the season I've been telling her that they would agree on a new CBA before Monday. Well, we're there. I'm not overly surprised, as it was in the best interest of the players to get a deal now and since the owners don't want to miss a whole season either if the deal is good enough. With a last offer of $42.5M, there had to be room for some more $ (you always leave a bit of room on your final offer, otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot), especially with Bettman hinting that way.

My only concern is that a majority of owners don't want anything to do with the $45M deal. Hopefully, Bettman can find 8 owners to support that cap (probably Lemieux and Greztsky if they both participated in the negociations, Wings owner, Rags owner, Tom Hicks, Colorado's owner, etc).

I thought the Super Vote of 8 owners and Bettman was only to PREVENT the NHL from adopting a resolution, not PASS a resolution if the other 22 owners did not agree to it.

IkeaMonkey*

Spoke to UMass forward PJ Fenton, who's dad is the DoPP of the Nashville Preds, his dad said the deal is looking very very good. PJ relayed this news to me after he came home from his game tonight, which his father called him afterwards and let him know of the news.Can't really provide a link to this since, the conversation between me and PJ was done on AOL Instant Messenger lol.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
alecfromtherock said:
I thought the Super Vote of 8 owners and Bettman was only to PREVENT the NHL from adopting a resolution, not PASS a resolution if the other 22 owners did not agree to it.

A vote can always be twisted around. The vote can be about "Who wants to reject the offer?" and then he can void it with his 8 owners on his side. If it's not rejected, it's accepted, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad