Will the Wings sign James DeHaas?

Octopus

May 17, 2006
The Wings could use some size back on D and James DeHaas brings along with some skill. Anyone out know whether he will sign a contract and go to Grand Rapids next season?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No one knows, because the beat writers haven't told us squat.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The Wings could use some size back on D and James DeHaas brings along with some skill. Anyone out know whether he will sign a contract and go to Grand Rapids next season?

I have no first-hand knowledge of his intentions or personal schedule, but sense that the longer he goes unsigned, the less likely it is to happen. He will have UFA options this summer if he doesn't sign with Detroit.

firebirds11

Mar 1, 2017
I have no first-hand knowledge of his intentions or personal schedule, but sense that the longer he goes unsigned, the less likely it is to happen. He will have UFA options this summer if he doesn't sign with Detroit.

Agreed. His season has been over for 1.5 weeks now and he's on spring break. Perfect time to sign with GR and get a full week of practice in before possibly having to finish up some business at school, like Renouf did last year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Conversely, we (or at least I) haven't seen rumblings of other league interest. Not saying it doesn't exist but usually there is at lot of chatter around the NCAA kids who are drafted but unsigned.

Really until we see some information one way or the other there is not much point speculating.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah We have quite literally nothing to go on, but I dislike the silence. I feel like if Holland and co. expected to sign him there'd be some chatter. He'll probably go to UFA, and if the Wings are the best offer then maybe he'll sign with us. I don't like our odds.

firebirds11

Mar 1, 2017
Maybe it could if De Haas was going to PTO with Grifs? I don't know what limitations there are on number of players they can have? Playing time at the very least.

There aren't any limitations.

It sure could

Explain. If De Haas and Hronek were to be in GR, it's extremely likely GR would have De Haas ahead of Hronek because he is more seasoned (older). Take for example Dan Renouf vs. Joe Hicketts last year. Both were in GR and Renouf played ahead of Hicketts, and I would argue that De Haas had the better college career than Renouf as well.

Even if that was true and in the worst case Hronek played ahead of De Haas... How is that any different than him not signing at all right now and therefore not playing? If his reason for not signing is "playing time," which is doubtful, he's not playing anyways while holding out for a contract.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I haven't seen or heard anything about him at all, so who really knows what happens.

He's still a project and playing for Clarkson likely limits whatever exposure other teams scouts have for him. Not sure how much interest he'd garner if he decides to test the market in mid August.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was pretty disappointed they didn't sign him last summer. I bet he tests the market. We have a good offer, look at how terrible our D-core is, having a bottom five group is actually attractive in terms of play well in the minors and you could be up relatively quick.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I was pretty disappointed they didn't sign him last summer. I bet he tests the market. We have a good offer, look at how terrible our D-core is, having a bottom five group is actually attractive in terms of play well in the minors and you could be up relatively quick.

With the season he had, he'll definitely generate some interest. I'm with you on the notion he'll see what's available. I doubt Detroit offers him a sweetheart deal like Justin Schulz got when he bailed on Anaheim for Edmonton.

I wouldn't be shocked if Babs snatched him up.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
With the season he had, he'll definitely generate some interest. I'm with you on the notion he'll see what's available. I doubt Detroit offers him a sweetheart deal like Justin Schulz got when he bailed on Anaheim for Edmonton.

I wouldn't be shocked if Babs snatched him up.

I think he's going wherever will essentially gift him a roster spot. Which, to be honest, there's no real reason Detroit couldn't do that. I mean, did Sproul really show enough to warrant another season?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he's going wherever will essentially gift him a roster spot. Which, to be honest, there's no real reason Detroit couldn't do that. I mean, did Sproul really show enough to warrant another season?

I'm not sure he has that type of leverage, quite frankly.

Most of the desirable college UFA's had buzz surrounding up until they signed. Do a twitter search for James De Haas and you get exactly 0 hits on any report of teams interrsed in him.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I'm assuming if he was good enough to try and ask for a guaranteed roster spot you'd also be hearing about 4-5 teams talking to him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure he has that type of leverage, quite frankly.

Most of the desirable college UFA's had buzz surrounding up until they signed. Do a twitter search for James De Haas and you get exactly 0 hits on any report of teams interrsed in him.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I'm assuming if he was good enough to try and ask for a guaranteed roster spot you'd also be hearing about 4-5 teams talking to him.

I'm not expecting a lot of talk until just before and just after the expansion draft. I'm betting a couple of teams come out of that draft and will think DeHaas looks like a good, cheap gamble to replace some good, cheap depth they just lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad