Will the Sedins take paycuts/hometown discounts?

Wizeman*

Lets see where their level of play is at by then, and our cap situation. Both of their numbers are being retired and they will go to the hall of fame.

They both have scoring titles, Hank has a Hart to boot. They have back to back presidents trophies, multiple Northwest championships , at least one Western championship and who knows, at least one 7th game of the finals.

On top of this they both have Olympic Gold medals. In my opinion they are shoe -ins for the hall of fame.

So, we will tread very lightly with them, trying to give them whatever they want under the terms that they want, but it has to fit into our budget and team goals.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Why do people say "hometown" discount about a player who is not from the town in question?

A "hometown discount" (which rarely ever actually happens) is when a guy takes less to play for his childhood local team because he grew up cheering for them, or his family is nearby, etc. The only real examples I can think of off-hand are BC guys Mitchell and Hamhuis signing with the Canucks for slightly below market value. In spite of the aspirations of Leaf and Hab fans, it doesn't really happen all that often.

Re-signing with your current team has nothing to do with your hometown.

Hal 9000*

Why do people say "hometown" discount about a player who is not from the town in question?

A "hometown discount" (which rarely ever actually happens) is when a guy takes less to play for his childhood local team because he grew up cheering for them, or his family is nearby, etc. The only real examples I can think of off-hand are BC guys Mitchell and Hamhuis signing with the Canucks for slightly below market value. In spite of the aspirations of Leaf and Hab fans, it doesn't really happen all that often.

I know exactly what you mean, unfortunately the term has been so misused by the media that its taking on a whole new meaning.

It reminds me of when pacioretty (or whoever) was hit into the "turnbuckle".

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007

I think the term is perfectly fine when you are talking about players who have spent their whole NHL career with one team

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Lets see where their level of play is at by then, and our cap situation. Both of their numbers are being retired and they will go to the hall of fame.

In part because of the twin thing, though. They were Art Ross winners in consecutive years...the synchronicity/sibling rivalry factor is incredible. But for years they were thought to be second-liners; is that a Hall of Fame career on its own merit?

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
I suspect the next contract will be a 2 year deal at $13M or a 3 year deal at $19M. As long as they don't leave, I'm fine, but I have difficulty imagining their cap hit will drop from where it is now. Even at over $6M per, they're taking a discount. Please note that Alex Semin just signed a 5 year deal at $7M per.

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
Forget hometown (unless it warms your heart), the Canucks' advantage is that the Sedins want to play together. What other team is going to clear and/or take on 12 or 13 mill with the lower cap? One Sedin is probably not a 6 mill player anyway.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
sedins arent guarenteed to stay in vancouver,

Iginla/Ohlund/Salo etc all looked like they would retire with their long term teams......

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I'd be pretty upset, but in reality, what franchise player/captain has played their entire career in Vancouver? Smyl?

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Dec 18, 2008
Vancouver
Forget hometown (unless it warms your heart), the Canucks' advantage is that the Sedins want to play together. What other team is going to clear and/or take on 12 or 13 mill with the lower cap? One Sedin is probably not a 6 mill player anyway.

Oh I think that is highly underrating the Sedins. On any team they would play with the top skilled players there and produce accordingly. Sure they couldn't be paired with 3rd line players and put up top line numbers, but when paired with any real top 6 talent, they would no doubt be top 50 point producers (likely higher). The reality of todays situation is a top line producer will get 6M+. Roy will likely get that, and the Sedins, even by themselves are better players.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I would love for the Sedin's to say to management, sign us to whatever you sign Roy, then convince Roy that sub $5M/yr will give the Canucks a real shot at a cup. I don't think the Sedin's are greedy people; in fact they are about the classiest people in the history of hockey. I could see the 3 of them agreeing to $5M deals ... the Sedins for a 1 - 2 yr extension, Roy for 3 years.

Dado

Would it be ok if we actually saw Roy perform in the playoffs before extending him for Sedin money?

I'd like that very much, please.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
sedins arent guarenteed to stay in vancouver,

Iginla/Ohlund/Salo etc all looked like they would retire with their long term teams......

I'm pretty sure they will retire here, mostly because it would take a ton for them to both land on the same team again. Not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
I think it's obvious the Sedins want to retire here. I think it's also obvious they'll take a discount. Unless Gillis tries to get greedy, they'll finish they're careers in Vancouver, hopefully 4-5 years from now.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm thinking a max 2 year contract. Id say a year at 6mil, then a year at 5mil, for about 5.5mil cap hit. After that they'll sign 1 year deals based on their current level of performance. I don't think they want the Naslund treatment in their twilight years, they'd rather be paid what they are worth.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

In North America, Vancouver is the only home the Sedins have. Their family is here, their roots are here, and they've called this city home for the last 13 years. I'd say in a case like that, a home town discount is the perfect term. I was born in Calgary for example, but I'd never consider it my home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->