Will the Sedins take paycuts/hometown discounts?

Dado

Would love if they took 5.5M-6M Per Year, opens up 2M-3M to sign another player. Would still make them highest played players on the team.

Luongo is, and has been, the highest paid player on the team.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Works out perfectly for the organization that the Sedins want one year contracts. The Sedins game is likely going to start to decline (some would argue it already has) within the next couple of years, and the Canucks won't be locked into a long term contract when it does.

We all know the Sedins will retire from the NHL as Vancouver Canucks, taking one year contracts just allows the organization to determine when that will be.

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
they took a discount the last time, so i don't see any reason they wouldn't do it again. i think getting them for under 6 is still a reach though, unless the deal is 6+ years.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I see them renewing the exact same deal they already have over a two or three year period. Maybe they drop to $5.5M instead but any less would be a huge gesture on their part.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I wouldn't be surprised at all that if we don't win a cup before their current contracts are up, that they take pretty significant discounts on their next set of contracts if they don't go back to Sweden.

4-4.5 m/yr is my guess. But we'll see.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think they take one for the team, If they have not won a cup, then they take a larger discount to help improve the team, If they win a cup then I honestly think they should not have to take one.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think they would remain here for below market value - but what that is remains to be seen, and varies per person. For example, popular theory was that they could have fetched about $6.5m / year on the open market last go round, meaning they took a hit of about $400K / year each.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I think they do 2 years 11 mil. Them I think they'll be on one year contracts the rest of their career after that until they decide to retire.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Didn't they say that they wanted to go year by year with contracts after the current ones expire? They said they wanted to stay in Vancouver so it's not like another team would snag them with a huge offer.

StringerBell

I think they would remain here for below market value - but what that is remains to be seen, and varies per person. For example, popular theory was that they could have fetched about $6.5m / year on the open market last go round, meaning they took a hit of about $400K / year each.

Popular theory had Burke on a plane to Sweden July 1st offering them $7-7.5m / year. I don't think they'll do the one year thing this time around like they indicated. My guess would be 3 years in the $15-18m range.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
They donated 1.5 million to the childrens hospital. They can have whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think the cap will rebound dramatically after this artificially lowered $64.3M season next year, which will give the Canucks breathing room. I think the Sedin brothers will get similar money next time around, maybe a slight raise. If they went to separate teams, they could probably get Parise money, but as a package deal they need to take a slight discount. If the Canucks treat them right they will probably stick around. I don't think they are anxious to uproot their families to chase money.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think they'll know that it's their last contract, but also their last real shot at an NHL championship so if they want it to be here, they'll know that they can help the team build around them by taking a bit of a discount. I'd love it if we could get them at a 4.5-5M cap hit.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Low ball them and then call them in the middle of the night and demand they sign the contract.

:sarcasm:

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
I like how the article says: "One thing’s for certain: the Canucks’ current core doesn’t have many seasons left to win the franchise’s first championship."

So many psychics running around these days :laugh:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I like how the article says: "One thing’s for certain: the Canucks’ current core doesn’t have many seasons left to win the franchise’s first championship."

So many psychics running around these days :laugh:

well that statement is true in the most literal sense - that the 'current core' is getting older and will eventually die, be buried/cremated and forgotten

its not exactly a good prediction though as at any point in time, the core can be changed and fixed so

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
in 2009 they were originally asking for 12-year contracts...not sure where the idea that they want to sign short-term deals and then jet off to sweden comes from

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Hand them both a blank cheque and tell them to fill in whatever number makes them happy.

I'm sure Aquilini would be cool with it. :sarcasm:

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
Daniel said this week, as per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that."

“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.â€

:) So if Daniel said they want 1 year contracts after this. Why is everyone throwing out multi year proposals?

IMO The Sedins are the epitome of class.
They're willing to stick around & play as long as they can contribute & the team has a chance to win. (all bets off if they win the cup)
When so many players just chase the big money & want luidicrous long term deals, they're going to make sure they never get into a position where their contracts hurt the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad