Speculation: Will the Rangers have a fire sale?

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Jesper Fast will be re-signed. NYR will not let him walk. He us too valuable to the team.

Kreider will be traded at the deadline. Fast is one of those players who is more valuable to his team than what his trade value will be.

Nonsense. Fast is not that valuable to the team. He's a role player. 35 points max. He hasn't made the PK unit any better. On a contender with a real coach and defensive system he will be valuable. Here he's just taking up ice time from a superior talent in Andersson.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Out of all the offensive d men we have.....ADA is the most productive. I think he has to stay here for a few more years.
Yes he is, but Trouba and Fox are going nowhere, leafs are seeking a RHD and thought Kappy would be a good fit with Kakko.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nonsense. Fast is not that valuable to the team. He's a role player. 35 points max. He hasn't made the PK unit any better. On a contender with a real coach and defensive system he will be valuable. Here he's just taking up ice time from a superior talent in Andersson.
What will Fast fetch at the TDL. Typically checkers go for 3rd rounders. Maybe best case is a conditional pick with possibility to upgrade to a 2nd.

is that better than extending him for the next few years given where the team is at?

that’s the decision to make. Got extra picks from the Zucs deal last tdl which they flipped to add Fox essentially.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
....Gropp has no value. None.

i agree, almost,
but there are always other teams with their own young guys who haven't performed up to their draft position,
i could see a trade of disappointment for disappointment

for example, drafted 3 spots later, D Matthew Spencer has only played 13 AHL games since spring '18
(surpassed in TBL RHD ranks by Cernak, drafted 1 spot sooner by LAK, but Spencer also been mostly ECHL player last season and this)

not proposing that trade specifically,
NYR could more use a serviceable LHD in AHL Hartford (only 1 healthy LHD there on an NHL deal)

just saying that while Gropp wouldn't bring back the value probably expected of a recent 2d round pick,
a low end, need for need, or fresh start for fresh start - those deals do happen

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sounds like you meant expiring contract/rfa trade.

Kreider - yes, should be traded. Long term signing doesn't make much sense without a great deal in place.

Fast - in his real role, very useful, as a top talent he doesn't have the skill to keep up other than the forecheck. If he's extended, it should be for a bottom 6 role and that's it. He might be a player used in a Seattle expansion draft.

Brady - I don't see a lot of teams wanting spend real assets on him right now. I think he goes 1 more season before being moved.

Georgiev - 1 goalie out. He'll be the odd man out I believe.

Smith - if we retain 50%, maybe somebody takes him for a 4th line role.

Staal - ain't going anywhere.

I'd listen to offers on Andersson but they'd have to be good offers, not fire sale offers.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

well Rangers don't have a ton of quality forwards and forward prospects. Fast is a solid bottom 6 forward. At most we will get for him is a 3rd + 5th or something like that. So if he wants to sign an extension at around 2 mil per then we re-sign him, if not then we trade him.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ledge And Dairy

I think Strome stays, but could be moved for the right price. He has some magic with Panarin.

I think it's more like Panarin is proving why Rangers paid 11M for him. Strome, like his brother is a player that does better being the 2nd/3rd best player on the line. Not exactly hes getting carried but he has good hockey sense and more or less is a sturdy foundation for a superstar teammate. He is probably over achieving a little right now So it is best to sell high on him

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Nonsense..?

So, the players player of the year 4 years in a row, as voted for by his teammates for his teamwork, is not valuable to the team??
OK sweetheart!

A role player, 35 points max? You do know there is more to hockey than just point scoring.

Why dont you stop trying to judge a player based on what points they have and actually watch a Rangers game as well understanding the game of hockey.

Everything you said about Fast is so ridiculously wrong that you could be passed as troll.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Add-in to a trade

Still no value to entice anyone to make a trade because Gropp is the sweetener.
This guy was drafted in the mold of a power forward.....that he isn't even in the AHL is telling.
If Gropp is the guy the deal hinges on, the guy we are getting back must be really bad too.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Kreider, Strome (at this pace) is gone, and he will net them a nice return. DeAngelo...will be an interesting situation. Georgiev? I'd love to have him and Igor as the future tandem, but Lundqvist's contract is a killer. He won't waive, so what do you do? I'd re-sign Georgiev and roll three goalies, to be honest. Fast is brought back on a $~3M-3.5M deal, similar to Grabner's but a little less than Hagelin's when he left. Fast is Phil Steele's flex tape, the guy is respected and can play on any line.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Nonsense..?

So, the players player of the year 4 years in a row, as voted for by his teammates for his teamwork, is not valuable to the team??
OK sweetheart!

A role player, 35 points max? You do know there is more to hockey than just point scoring.

Why dont you stop trying to judge a player based on what points they have and actually watch a Rangers game as well understanding the game of hockey.

Everything you said about Fast is so ridiculously wrong that you could be passed as troll.
The disrespect Fast gets is disgraceful. They don't understand player value. Hagelin tried to get replaced with Stalberg...then they found a gem in Grabner for AV's system, and he was playing a third-line role with Hayes and Miller, but his skillset replicated Hagelin's. Grabner has essentially gone unreplaced, but Fast is a staple in that bottom-six. You don't lose a guy like that unless you're getting something back that you can't turn down. I'm not giving Fast up for a lousy 3rd and 5th.

Reactions: Shootertooter

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I feel the Rangers should do a three-way deal that sends Staal to the Senators.

I think they sign Strome to a long-term low-risk contract.

Skjei either asks for a huge contract or gets traded to one of the top contenders with cap space, I'll say Colorado.

Kreider for sure should be traded to a contending team.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Skjei either asks for a huge contract or gets traded to one of the top contenders with cap space, I'll say Colorado.

I don't think Skjei makes any sense in Colorado. We can't protect him in the expansion draft and we already have Girard locked in for 7 more years as well as Byram coming up on the left side. Don't see the fit there at all.

But we are obvious candidates in the Kreider sweepstakes given last years rumors unfortunately.
Just hope that does not happen or that atleast the price won't be too bad even though given that we have no 2nd rounder, odds are that I will hate the return...

Reactions: bernmeister

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Why do the Sens take Staal? Xmas charity?

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Skjei is signed for another 4 seasons.
Contract ends after 23/24
His limited NMC starts in 21/22

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
lol they did.

I would imagine they sell again this summer but you're a couple of years late on this one.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Kreider and Fast will be traded, Retain Georgie, Strome and Anderson. How about ADA to Leafs for Kapanen?
Can Kapanen play LW? We have Buchnevich and Kakko playing RW (as well as Kravtsov eventually.) If they trade Kreider, our 2LW is Brendan Lemieux lol.

DeAngelo has 15 points in 18 games, trading him right now makes me a little nervous. Especially on the Leafs because he'd end up scoring even more points there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad