Speculation: Will the Rangers have a fire sale?

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
Stall doesn't get traded during the deadline.
Krider only gets traded for your first or second.
Based on trade deadline records I don't see anybody going after gueorguiev I see him getting resigned.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Kreider and Fast are gone.

Strome, unless a 1st is inbound, will remain a Ranger. His PPG has steadily increased and I imagine the Rangers give him a 1-2 year deal.

Skjei is moved in a hockey trade.

No one takes Smith and Staal will not waive his contract.

Kreider + Fast + Beleksey + Namestnikov contracts + current Rangers operating room gets them to ~10M, then subtract 7.5M of dead cap next year, remaining is ~3M.

Rangers need to resign DeAngelo, Lemieux, Georgiev(?), Strome(?).

Skjei seems like the odd man out due to his cap hit and plethora of D in LD pipeline. At this point, Rangers have ~8.5M leftover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laus723

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No Rangers "fire sale"

They will properly first try to move the vets so
a) Kreider extended, upping his value whether kept or dealt
b) cap available just in case Hall checks us out or we see somebody we like.

Also, we need to give mins to our true core.
Also need to sell high on Deangelo, and a couple others.

However, these guys are not being given away.
Market value or better

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Kreider and Fast are gone.

Strome, unless a 1st is inbound, will remain a Ranger. His PPG has steadily increased and I imagine the Rangers give him a 1-2 year deal.

Skjei is moved in a hockey trade.

No one takes Smith and Staal will not waive his contract.

I pretty much agree.
I really think the Rangers are convinced Strome is a core guy now, I strongly feel they will re sign him after this season. Kreider and Fast likely are gone, I think the Rangers would move Skjei if it makes sense for them. I'm not sure about Georgie though. He seems to be more proven than Shesty. Maybe, just maybe they can move Smith on the back end for a deal, if they take cap back. Staal is here until he retires.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I pretty much agree.
I really think the Rangers are convinced Strome is a core guy now, I strongly feel they will re sign him after this season. Kreider and Fast likely are gone, I think the Rangers would move Skjei if it makes sense for them. I'm not sure about Georgie though. He seems to be more proven than Shesty. Maybe, just maybe they can move Smith on the back end for a deal, if they take cap back. Staal is here until he retires.

Shesty will be the Rangers future. Even with limited eyes on him, I think he is better than Georgiev. He can read the play better, more composed (reminiscent of Hank thankfully), rebound control, moves better in the blue paint and has a nice flash of the glove.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Stromer has great offensive instincts and we can thank the Rangers organization, so far, for putting him in an environment where he can be successful. He was drafted 5th OA for a reason.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Shesty will be the Rangers future. Even with limited eyes on him, I think he is better than Georgiev. He can read the play better, more composed (reminiscent of Hank thankfully), rebound control, moves better in the blue paint and has a nice flash of the glove.

Agree, and every other factor aside, Geo is ending his elc. Still cost controlled entering rfa.
Shesty, however, just started elcs.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I would dangle:

Kreider
Strome (his value will never be higher)
Skjei
Fast
Staal
Smith
Gropp
Lundqvist
Georgiev (I'd rather keep Georgiev than Lundqvist, but because of the King's NMC...and we also need to see what the Mighty Igor can do in the NHL)

And may as well see what a team will offer for Lias Andersson since he's never getting any ice-time, but the objective should be to get younger and clear salary. They need to extend DeAngelo and Lemieux in the offseason and because of that stupid Shattenkirk buyout our hands are going to be tied. Dump salary and get younger.

Last edited:

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Kreider and Fast will be traded, Retain Georgie, Strome and Anderson. How about ADA to Leafs for Kapanen?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I would dangle:

Kreider
Strome (his value will never be higher)
Skjei
Fast
Staal
Smith
Gropp

And may as well see what a team will offer for Lias Andersson since he's never getting any ice-time, but the objective should be to get younger and clear salary. They need to extend DeAngelo and Lemieux in the offseason and because of that stupid Shattenkirk buyout our hands are going to be tied. Dump salary and get younger.
BE prepared for the bum rush to acquire Gropp

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I think Kreider and Fast are good as gone.

I think Strome stays, but could be moved for the right price. He has some magic with Panarin.

I could see Skjei being traded over the summer for a forward.

Georgie we’ll see. Shesty might be here sooner than expected.

I think Andersson could be a piece in a trade. I like him a lot, but I’m not sure he’s going to get a real shot here.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Kreider UFA
Strome (RFA)
Skjei big contract
Fast (UFA)
Staal/Smith
McKegg (UFA)
Georgiev (RFA)
Haley

Nobody will have any interest in Haley or McKegg. Staal if he played better and Rangers retained half maybe a taker. Skjei's contract isn't big. Especially when you look at dumb contracts handed out by teams. Cough, cough, Kevin Hayes. Fast will have a ton of appeal to playoff contenders. He plays better in the playoffs as well. Kreider will have appeal. Strome they need to sign. Georgiev won't be moved.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Jesper Fast will be re-signed. NYR will not let him walk. He us too valuable to the team.

Kreider will be traded at the deadline. Fast is one of those players who is more valuable to his team than what his trade value will be.

Reactions: Kakko Schmakko

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Fast, I think if they can't sign him to an extension before deadline, he gets moved

Skjei has to be moved to make space for rookies in the pipeline, might be this season or around draft time.

Georgiev likely gets moved, but more likely around draft time unless some team has a goalie injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad