Will the Pens trade their stars?

Who is out this summer?

• Total voters

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Definitely not Crosby, Malkin or Letang. A better poll would be "do the Penguins trade Kessel?", because the other 3 aren't moving. It's either Kessel or no one.

My impression is that they'll trade at least 1 or 2 of Kessel, Hornqvist or Rust. If they can't get a good return for Rust or Hornqvist, I bet they'd move Kessel.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Definitely not Crosby, Malkin or Letang. A better poll would be "do the Penguins trade Kessel?", because the other 3 aren't moving. It's either Kessel or no one.

My impression is that they'll trade at least 1 or 2 of Kessel, Hornqvist or Rust. If they can't get a good return for Rust or Hornqvist, I bet they'd move Kessel.
All 4 are 30+, so they need younger top-line players, at least one or two. They don't have cap space and I don't know who can they get for Kessel to become better now. Probably the 1st round pick will be traded too.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Penguins will try again next year. I think they will take a crack at the next two years and if nothing comes out of it, that's when they'll start clearing players out. The most they'll do is maybe swap vet with vet.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I definitely think Kessel will get a look. The Pens dont have the Sens managment, they wont trade Crosby or Malkin. Idk about Letang or what will happen to him

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They're not gonna rebuild as long as Crosby and Malkin are on the team, and if they're not gonna rebuild, I don't see the purpose of trading Kessel.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They're not gonna rebuild as long as Crosby and Malkin are on the team, and if they're not gonna rebuild, I don't see the purpose of trading Kessel.

If they really wanted to take that route to shake things up, then Kessel would be the guy to go.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
All 4 are 30+, so they need younger top-line players, at least one or two. They don't have cap space and I don't know who can they get for Kessel to become better now. Probably the 1st round pick will be traded too.

Why? Why does a team need younger top line players? Last year 7/10 of the top scorers were above 30, this year it wasn't as prevalent but there were still 10 in the top 25 including Crosby (7) and Kessel (25) and Malkin would have been a lot higher if he wasn't injured for a stretch. Letang was 9th in dman scoring, a position where surprise surprise 30+ year olds did very well including the top 2 dman scorers.

This team can easily ride out their vets for a number of seasons, especially with how health and fitness has taken huge leaps over the last 5 years in the hockey community, and with how soft the NHL is getting. Tens of millions of dollars are on the line, and the most skilled players in the NHL are doing all they can squeeze every last million out of the owners they can by really taking the offseason seriously, and builing bodies that can maintain the rigours of an nhl season.

As an outsider the biggest issue isn't their stars but their lack of depth, especially on the backend. Some of their dmen are really bad. For example, I don't know what happened to Maata but he isn't the same player I remember watching and he's quite young.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Why? Why does a team need younger top line players? Last year 7/10 of the top scorers were above 30, this year it wasn't as prevalent but there were still 10 in the top 25 including Crosby (7) and Kessel (25) and Malkin would have been a lot higher if he wasn't injured for a stretch. Letang was 9th in dman scoring, a position where surprise surprise 30+ year olds did very well including the top 2 dman scorers.

This team can easily ride out their vets for a number of seasons, especially with how health and fitness has taken huge leaps over the last 5 years in the hockey community, and with how soft the NHL is getting. Tens of millions of dollars are on the line, and the most skilled players in the NHL are doing all they can squeeze every last million out of the owners they can by really taking the offseason seriously, and builing bodies that can maintain the rigours of an nhl season.

As an outsider the biggest issue isn't their stars but their lack of depth, especially on the backend. Some of their dmen are really bad. For example, I don't know what happened to Maata but he isn't the same player I remember watching and he's quite young.

Because HF boards logic is that players are immediately on the "downturn" of their career once they hit age 30. It's bizarre really.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Probably no one, they don't NEED to do anything big. They kept their core from 10-15 despite not doing much in the playoffs. You don't trade guys like Crosby and Malkin, you can trade the guys around them. Though if I had to pick one I'd say Kessel.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Kessel, maybe. But realistically what is he gonna return. A good package for sure, but nothing that's gonna help them immediately. May as well keep trying to win now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Looks like the Pens are done (If they turn the series around, then shame on me, but it's unlikely). Will JR try to re-tool by trading one or more of his stars?
Their cap situation isn't good. So, they need to move out some contracts.

I think all but Sid/Geno could go, if they desired. That includes Letang. Think they'll try hard to move Kessel for sure. They are really up against the cap, so they have to free up some space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad