Will the Penguins keep Fleury or send him back to junior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:
He's been their best player thus far, but could cost the Penguins up to 3 milllion+ in easily attainable bonuses for this year.

Would the Penguins be stingy enough to send the kid back to junior?

Isnt it too late?

Bud The Spud*

He seems to be very important for the team. Could they afford to send him back when he is playing so well?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Im not sure what you mean by your question!

A) Send him back to Cape-Breton his Junior Squad?

OR

B) Let him play in the WJC's

If you meant A, he cannot return to junior anymore. He has played the goalie maximum.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
#1, it's not too late; in fact, they could send him back at any point during the season.

#2, the ten-game limit that everyone talks about is only a contract thing. They'd have to send him back before he plays in ten to avoid the first year of his contract from kicking in. If they do, his contract would begin next season.

Fleury has played in eight, which hasn't affected anything yet, but Craig Patrick said that he'll keep Fleury up for a while, well past the ten-game mark. The Pens could benefit by sending him back after his contract kicks in but before he qualifies for his bonuses -- that way, the Pens would only have to pay his base salary.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If they planned on sending him back they probably wouldn't be kissing his ass to the media the way they have been. Olczyk consistently calling him "unbelievable", Mario calling him a "franchise player". Of course, Penguins management seems to enjoy stabbing the fans in the back.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
tom_servo said:
#1, it's not too late; in fact, they could send him back at any point during the season.

#2, the ten-game limit that everyone talks about is only a contract thing. They'd have to send him back before he plays in ten to avoid the first year of his contract from kicking in. If they do, his contract would begin next season.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong...once the limit has been met the only choice for the kid is to stay on the NHL roster, although he could be sent back to junior for the WJC's and I believe he might be eligible to go to the AHL on a short conditioning stint...

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Chief said:
I'm pretty sure you're wrong...once the limit has been met the only choice for the kid is to stay on the NHL roster, although he could be sent back to junior for the WJC's and I believe he might be eligible to go to the AHL on a short conditioning stint...

No. For a recent example, Steve Eminger was sent back to juniors after 17 games last season.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
tom_servo said:
No. For a recent example, Steve Eminger was sent back to juniors after 17 games last season.
Yes, and as a matter of fact, he was released by the Caps to play in the World Juniors and then was returned to his junior team immediately following the WJC.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Chief said:

The 10 games limit is that after that his contract kicks in if they don't send him back. They can send him back when ever they want but he is still in his contract with them, thats all that means.

Now since that is said and done, I think there is a better chance of Kevin Mailhoit going 1st overall in this years draft then there is of Fleury comming back. Fleury is the only reason Pittsbergh is even winning a few games or comming close and he seems to be their main ticket draw right now so on both a business and team meaning perspective it doesn't make since for them to send him back. I don't think he will be sent back either for the WJC.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
Yes, it's kind of right. If he's sent back before the 10 game thing then the 3 year contract he signed would still be good for 3 years. After 10 games it's a 2 year remaining thing. But I say it's after 10 games of the season not 10 games he personally played in. So I say he has 2 more years on his current contract. They could send him to juniors up until junior playoffs start. But it looks like what the playing situation has been he's treated as the #1 goalie, so I think they'll keep him around awhile. Like watching him play, maybe if a few paying customers more like his play also it might not cost so much. They claim they only lost $3 million last season, and compared to some other claims it ain't so bad. So, if Fleury can become enough of a drawing card to offset a few million here and there, maybe it works for this year.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Fleury will be kept longer than the ten game mandate. After which point his contract WILL kick in and he will be owed the first years salary.
HOWEVER....and this is where it is gonna get sticky, his bonuses will NOT kick in unless he plays X amount of games, has X amount of minutes, shutouts, Calder etc...perhaps if it looks like he is closer to acheiving these goals you will se him sent back if the Pens deem that they cannot afford this.
He will then be owed only his salary level (around a million) and NOT the bonus' portion of his contract. They will then have one year of his contract up and only for a million or so.
IF they do send him back he will either have to take an astronomical fall or it will be financially motivated. my bet is the latter as Fluery is onlu getting stronger (5th start in a row tonight).
I also think trading Straka and his 4+million salary will be a factor here if they can find any suitors which is unlikely. :mad:

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
It's quite obvious that he is the "FRANCHISE", Lemieux included. He ain't going anywhere for years to come!

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
Don't believe if he is sent down he would be owed entire 1.25 million or thereabouts salary. He's on a 2 way which includes a different level of compensation if assigned to juniors. I say. I also say after his team has played 10 games he has 2 years left on contract, not if Fleury plays 10 games.

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
fan mao rong said:
Don't believe if he is sent down he would be owed entire 1.25 million or thereabouts salary. He's on a 2 way which includes a different level of compensation if assigned to juniors. I say. I also say after his team has played 10 games he has 2 years left on contract, not if Fleury plays 10 games.
You're right about the first part, but I think you're wrong about the second - at least if I'm interpreting the CBA correctly. It sounds like the 10 game figure depends on how many games the player appears in, not how many the team itself plays.

Article 9.1 c
In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old player signs a Player Contract with a Club but does not play at least 10 NHL games (regular season and/or playoffs) in the first season under that player's Player Contract, the term of his Player Contract and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a player who is age 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs a Player Contract.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
tom_servo said:

I was the one who was really wrong...I stand corrected...Sam and JD confirmed that Fleury could be sent back last night...only downside to the Pens is they have to pay him his NHL salary...which raises an interesting point...most entry level contracts get bloated (sometimes by as much as $3 mill) by performance bonuses...if a kid goes back to junior I guess it's impossible for him to meet his bonuses, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad