Will the Oilers surprise us with the 1st pick?

Variant

Jul 8, 2007
IMHO the Oilers should take the following:

1st overall Couturier - If foot speed is the only concern, I'm not worried. He has all the other tools (size, smarts (defensive), skill (top PPG, top QMJHL player of the year, won scoring title as 17 year old)
19th McNeil || Scheifele || Puempel
31st Musil || Klefborn

GXL

Agreed. I'm genuinly surprised why RNH is considered the best prospect of this class? Considering he ranks behind Sean Couturier (in particular) in many statistical categories.

His PPG pace is worse, percentage of offense at even strength is worse, points from goals ratio is worse, percentage of total contribution to team offense is worse, Couturier kills penalties and defends leads in the last minute, Couturier is bigger, he's been dominant for two years as opposed to just one. Couturier isn't flashy but he's the type of player I want on my team any day, he's already a proficient two-way player who has more offensive talent than most give him credit for. He isn't a dynamic skater, but he can improve his stride and get faster like Jeff Carter did. I just don't see what makes Hopkins the best option at first overall. Throwing out Stats altogether (which I think is stupid, but I digress) he still comes out second best behind Couturier.

Couturier seems like some sort of hybrid between Eric Staal and Jordan Staal. He fits so many of the Oilers needs. He's big, he can win faceoffs, he can be a #1 center, he's defensively responsible and can free up Hall to focus on putting pucks in the net, and he can score himself. What's not to like?

Despite being the consensus pick by most of the scouts I just don't see any evidence of Hopkins being anything more than Gagner 2.0. I like Gagner a lot, but you'd want something more out of the first overall pick.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I've flirted with the idea of drafting Couterier. Honestly, I wouldn't even be upset if the Oilers did. They probably won't though.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
No I don't like taking two centres...put your eggs in more than one basket and all is a good theory but the Oilers need to take a centre and dman (similar to how the Avs need a winger and dman with their two first rounders or maybe even two wingers). I think people are stuck on years ago saying that the Oilers have no depth in the middle. But Gagner is a fine centreman and his development if you look at other centres lately is alongside some other guys who've become stars recently. He might be your 2nd line centre. RNH the 1st line. Horcoff or Cogliano the 3rd line. With dmen....the 3rd line centre won't play as much as a top four dman. I know I'd go for Oleksiak if he was available at 19th but someone will probably pick him higher for that size.

I ain't Tambellini though, what do I know other than RNH going 1st.

RNH and Gagner down the middle is too small though. They'd get dominated in the dot, and in the playoffs that weakness would be amplified. That's why a lot of Oilers fans want RNH + McNeil/Schefiele.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
RNH and Gagner down the middle is too small though. They'd get dominated in the dot, and in the playoffs that weakness would be amplified. That's why a lot of Oilers fans want RNH + McNeil/Schefiele.

The solution to the problem is very simple.

You send Paajarvi, #19 and #31 to the Islanders for #5 and Bailey.

Then you take Larsson with #1 and hope for Couturier at 5, with Landeskog or Huberdeau as the likely consolation prizes should another team take Couturier.

One way or another, you add a very young up-and-coming offensive center in Bailey and perhaps even the desired size up the middle in Couturier.

All the while you get the best Dman in the draft.

Naturally, the team could take the forward of its choice at #1 and then either another of the top forwards at 5 or even a kid like Hamilton/Murphy if they wish to shore up the blueline prospects.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Agreed. I'm genuinly surprised why RNH is considered the best prospect of this class? Considering he ranks behind Sean Couturier (in particular) in many statistical categories.

His PPG pace is worse, percentage of offense at even strength is worse, points from goals ratio is worse, percentage of total contribution to team offense is worse, Couturier kills penalties and defends leads in the last minute, Couturier is bigger, he's been dominant for two years as opposed to just one. Couturier isn't flashy but he's the type of player I want on my team any day, he's already a proficient two-way player who has more offensive talent than most give him credit for. He isn't a dynamic skater, but he can improve his stride and get faster like Jeff Carter did. I just don't see what makes Hopkins the best option at first overall. Throwing out Stats altogether (which I think is stupid, but I digress) he still comes out second best behind Couturier.

Couturier seems like some sort of hybrid between Eric Staal and Jordan Staal. He fits so many of the Oilers needs. He's big, he can win faceoffs, he can be a #1 center, he's defensively responsible and can free up Hall to focus on putting pucks in the net, and he can score himself. What's not to like?

Despite being the consensus pick by most of the scouts I just don't see any evidence of Hopkins being anything more than Gagner 2.0. I like Gagner a lot, but you'd want something more out of the first overall pick.

I agree with you guys. I don't think RNH is a lock at 1st overall for the Oilers and maybe Stu and his gang are keeping Sean Couturier as their secret pick lol and surprise everybody at the draft. I've always said that Couturier is the perfect pick for Edmonton and he will bring stability in the center line for them and you know what you get in him. an excellent 2-way 6ft4 centerman with tremendous offensive potential. Lots of haters because of his performance at the WJC but IMO, Sean Couturier played exactly the way the staff asked him to and played an excellent 2-way game.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006

Then you take Larsson with #1 and hope for Couturier at 5, with Landeskog or Huberdeau as the likely consolation prizes should another team take Couturier.

One way or another, you add a very young up-and-coming offensive center in Bailey and perhaps even the desired size up the middle in Couturier.

Naturally, the team could take the forward of its choice at #1 and then either another of the top forwards at 5 or even a kid like Hamilton/Murphy if they wish to shore up the blueline prospects.
I like the idea of walking away with both Larsson and Couturier but Bailey isn't an upgrade on Gagner and it sounds like Couturier is most likely going to be a "very good" 2nd line center as well. So we still don't have an ideal #1 center and left wing gets downgraded significantly.

I agree with you guys. I don't think RNH is a lock at 1st overall for the Oilers and maybe Stu and his gang are keeping Sean Couturier as their secret pick lol and surprise everybody at the draft. I've always said that Couturier is the perfect pick for Edmonton and he will bring stability in the center line for them and you know what you get in him. an excellent 2-way 6ft4 centerman with tremendous offensive potential. Lots of haters because of his performance at the WJC but IMO, Sean Couturier played exactly the way the staff asked him to and played an excellent 2-way game.
Stu doesn't even think Couturier is the best prospect from the QMJHL so I don't think they're taking him 1st overall.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Any chance one of Huberdeau, Couturier, Landeskog, Zibanejad, Hamilton or any other prospect gets picked with Edmonton's 1st overall pick???

A lot of people are starting to suggest the answer might not be as clear cut as it was a month ago. There is speculation that any one of 5 players could be the pick (base of a comment Stu Mcgregor made). More realistically, its starting to be seen as a choice between Huberdeau and Nugent-Hopkins.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I like the idea of walking away with both Larsson and Couturier but Bailey isn't an upgrade on Gagner and it sounds like Couturier is most likely going to be a "very good" 2nd line center as well. So we still don't have an ideal #1 center and left wing gets downgraded significantly.

Stu doesn't even think Couturier is the best prospect from the QMJHL so I don't think they're taking him 1st overall.

Can you prove it to me? (It's not an arrogant statement, just want to see the source) Anyways, things that Stu is saying to the media, doesn't say anything about what's really going on behind closed doors with his scouting staff.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Can you prove it to me? (It's not an arrogant statement, just want to see the source) Anyways, things that Stu is saying to the media, doesn't say anything about what's really going on behind closed doors with his scouting staff.
I can't remember the hour it was played but Jason Gregor on Team1260 had an interview with Stu either yesterday or the day before. He keeps archives so if you're willing to dig it up you can hear it. It was actually pretty good interview so I'd recommend doing so.

I think he was being honest though. He didn't say "Couturier isn't the best player in the QMJHL". He said Huberdeau was the best prospect. It was a compliment to one player. Not a negative towards Couturier.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
When your scout compares a draftee to Gretzky, you know what's up.

"A couple of people high up -- and not naming names -- said Hopkins has the best vision since No. 99 (Wayne Gretzky). That's the highest compliment you can get. But the other thing is the way he competes. He never takes a night off and he works as hard in his own end as he does in the offensive zone and that takes a special player with a special set of skills to do that,†said Peter Sullivan of the NHL’s Central Scouting bureau."

I think this is the quote you're talking about.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
IMHO the Oilers should take the following:

1st overall Couturier - If foot speed is the only concern, I'm not worried. He has all the other tools (size, smarts (defensive), skill (top PPG, top QMJHL player of the year, won scoring title as 17 year old)
19th McNeil || Scheifele || Puempel
31st Musil || Klefborn

GXL

Actually, foot speed is a big concern. Foot speed is an essential element the Oilers are building around as far as forwards are concerned. If they could find a 1C that can keep up with Hall, in addition to having the skills, then that's a deadly combo to keep the other team's d-men on their heels.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010

Couturier/Huberdeau/Landeskog + Bailey for Paajarvi + Klefbom/McNeil/Brodin + Musil/Morrow.

No deal. Paajarvi's the best player in that deal and I take the possibilites at 19 & 31 over another player like Gagner.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Couturier/Huberdeau/Landeskog + Bailey for Paajarvi + Klefbom/McNeil/Brodin + Musil/Morrow.

No deal. Paajarvi's the best player in that deal and I take the possibilites at 19 & 31 over another player like Gagner.

Paajarvi over Huberdeau?

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd take Huberdeau over Pajaarvi. Pajaarvi isn't likely to regularly score over 70pts in my opinion, he's supposed to be a good 2-way forward but it will take time to see how good he can be defensively.

I wouldn't. I'd rather we keep what we have and trade up with the 19th and 31st. Next year we should go hard on C or D. We can add 1 or 2 pieces thru trades when it comes to playoffs.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Oilers have a lot invested in Paajarvi. His potential is yet to be seen but he looks like a real good top 6 winger, Huberdeau, like any undrafted player is a question mark

Fair enough, but I like Huberdeau's top end alot more. He's a top ranked player for a reason. Paajarvi was too, but he slid in his draft year quite a bit. (Yes, I know that doesn't mean a ton at this point, just worth noting) I also understand that Huberdeau's a question mark as an undrafted prospect, but don't make it seem like Paajarvi is a proven 27 year old.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Fair enough, but I like Huberdeau's top end alot more. He's a top ranked player for a reason. Paajarvi was too, but he slid in his draft year quite a bit. (Yes, I know that doesn't mean a ton at this point, just worth noting) I also understand that Huberdeau's a question mark as an undrafted prospect, but don't make it seem like Paajarvi is a proven 27 year old.

He dropped about 3 or 4 spots. Nothing big really. He also dropped in a draft that was widely considered to be very deep in top end talent, in comparison to this draft.

zeus3007*

I'd take Huberdeau over Pajaarvi. Pajaarvi isn't likely to regularly score over 70pts in my opinion, he's supposed to be a good 2-way forward but it will take time to see how good he can be defensively.

He is already very good defensively. If anything, his offense will take longer to develop. I think he could be a 60-70 point two way forward. And I don't think the Oilers trade that for a pick this year.

dereksutton9

Mar 28, 2011
I like the idea of walking away with both Larsson and Couturier but Bailey isn't an upgrade on Gagner and it sounds like Couturier is most likely going to be a "very good" 2nd line center as well.

Bailey was one of the reasons Hall moved to wing from center when he arrived in Windsor. Just saying ...

Bailey is yet another example of what happens when an NHL team rushes a prospect to the show. Bailey was cheated out of having that CHL monster resume year (WJC, big stats, Memorial Cup). What a surprise that NYI really misplayed that.

I really do like the idea of Scheifele with the Kings pick. Only got to see him play once in-person but was impressed by his quickness for a pretty filled out kid. Would not be surprised if he has a big post-draft year. A Larsson/Scheifele first round would be a good one!

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

True Paajarvi is def not a proven player by any stretch and It would seem that in their draft year Huberdeau has higher potential. I guess I just dont want to give up on the two years of development as I think Paajarvi is gonna be a great LW'er for Edmonton for a while

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well, Bob Mackenzie once again basically insinuated today that Couturier isn't even in the discussion for the top pick on anyone's list that he knows of, so I don't get why people are still debating him for 1st overall.

IMO, it's a 3 horse race between RNH, Larsson, and Huberdeau, with Landeskog maybe getting the top spot on a couple lists.

I would be pretty shocked if the Oilers called a name other than RNH or Larsson, but stranger things have happened. I have a tough time believing that they will pass on the consensus best player right now in the rebuild.

Last edited:

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
It's been sounding like Landeskog has been ripping up the combine as far as overall readiness to hit the league. I think Hall could be moved back to center full time and have a beast on his wing in Landeskog.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->