Will the Oilers surprise us with the 1st pick?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Since the lockout the Oilers have acquired Pronger, Pitkanen, Visnovsky and Whitney.

Meanwhile their last #1 center retired last week. Draft RNH.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Who are they?

1. Pavel Brendl: 4th overall in 1999
- 134 points in 68 games(1.97) for the Hitmen in 1998-99.
- Next best point producers on team were Brad Moran(118 points) and Matt Kinch(83 points)

2. Jeff Friesen: 11th overall in 1994
- 118 points in 68 games(1.79) for the Pats in 1993-94.
- Next best point producers on team were Karry Biette(101 points) and Cory Dosdall(78 points)

3. Patrick Marleau: 2nd overall in 1997
- 125 points in 71 games(1.76) for the Thunderbirds in 1996-97
- Next best point producers on team were Torrey DiRoberto(81 points) and Kris Cantu(77 points)

4. Josh Holden: 12th overall in 1996
- 112 points in 70 games(1.60) for the Pats in 1995-96
- Next best point producers on team were Rhett Gordon(103 points) and Russell Hewson(80 points)

5. Terry Ryan: 8th overall in 1995(Didn't lead his team in points)
- 110 points in 70 games(1.57) for the Tri-City Americans in 1994-95
- Next best point producers on team were Daymond Langkow(140 points) and Chad Cabana(59 points)

6. Evander Kane: 4th overall in 2009(Didn't lead his team in points)
- 96 points in 61 games(1.57) for the Giants in 2008-09
- Next best point producers on team were Casey Pierro-Zabotel(115 points) and Brent Regner(67 points)

7. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
- 106 points in 69 games(1.54) for the Rebels in 2010-11
- Next best point producers on team were Andrej Kudrna(82 points) and Byron Froese(81 points)

I'd say Marleau is the most comparable. Both lead their teams by a large amount.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Does anyone remember last year's Tyler v Taylor crap? Everyone knew it was gonna be Taylor Hall, then around December the media hyped up Tyler Seguin and rightfully so but he was never gonna go over Hall especially after Hall's Mem Cup win. And we were being kept in suspense because the Oilers needed a centre but you knew that they would still take Hall.

The year before...a proven OHL scorer who'd been on the prospect radar for a while vs Hedman who was playing in Sweden and was a dman. They tried to argue that too but it was apparent that the Isles would go for Tavares (I'd pick a forward every time in that situation just like I'd take RNH over Larsson now)...and that's what happened.

This year, okay there is a bit more of a mix but we know now that it's either gonna be RNH or Larsson and after not getting the centre last year, Flames probably will this year. They can get a dman to fill out their top four with the 19th pick. Why would they pick anyone other than these two? It's gonna be hype and suspense before the draft but it'll be RNH or Larsson going to Edm...probably RNH.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Does anyone remember last year's Tyler v Taylor crap? Everyone knew it was gonna be Taylor Hall, then around December the media hyped up Tyler Seguin and rightfully so but he was never gonna go over Hall especially after Hall's Mem Cup win. And we were being kept in suspense because the Oilers needed a centre but you knew that they would still take Hall.

The year before...a proven OHL scorer who'd been on the prospect radar for a while vs Hedman who was playing in Sweden and was a dman. They tried to argue that too but it was apparent that the Isles would go for Tavares (I'd pick a forward every time in that situation just like I'd take RNH over Larsson now)...and that's what happened.

This year, okay there is a bit more of a mix but we know now that it's either gonna be RNH or Larsson and after not getting the centre last year, Flames probably will this year. They can get a dman to fill out their top four with the 19th pick. Why would they pick anyone other than these two? It's gonna be hype and suspense before the draft but it'll be RNH or Larsson going to Edm...probably RNH.
It's true. They did it with Kane, JVR and Turris too.

The funny thing is that the Lightning didn't hide that they were taking Stamkos and an argument could be made that Doughty is the only 2nd overall pick since Eric Staal to make a case to go 1st overall.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Oilers' priority is center as Stu Mac stated in an interview. They would even consider taking a centerman with the 19th and another center in next year's draft. Here's the link.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Edmonton+Oilers+first+draft+pick+still+unknown/4874594/story.html
He was also on the Team1260 and said Huberdeau's hockey sense is ALMOST as good as RNH's. In general he talked about Huberdeau like was a great prospect but not a realistic possibility to go 1st overall. At least that's the impression I got.He also didn't seem to be worried about RNH's weight. The radio host mentioned that Michael St. Croix had put on 10 pounds since the Oil Kings were eliminated from the playoffs and MacGregor sounded like he thought that was realistic for Nugent-Hopkins as well. He said most 17/18 year olds don't have trouble putting on 7-10 pounds once the season ends

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
IMHO the Oilers should take the following:

1st overall Couturier - If foot speed is the only concern, I'm not worried. He has all the other tools (size, smarts (defensive), skill (top PPG, top QMJHL player of the year, won scoring title as 17 year old)
19th McNeil || Scheifele || Puempel
31st Musil || Klefborn

GXL

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Oilers' priority is center as Stu Mac stated in an interview. They would even consider taking a centerman with the 19th and another center in next year's draft. Here's the link.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Edmonton+Oilers+first+draft+pick+still+unknown/4874594/story.html

No I don't like taking two centres...put your eggs in more than one basket and all is a good theory but the Oilers need to take a centre and dman (similar to how the Avs need a winger and dman with their two first rounders or maybe even two wingers). I think people are stuck on years ago saying that the Oilers have no depth in the middle. But Gagner is a fine centreman and his development if you look at other centres lately is alongside some other guys who've become stars recently. He might be your 2nd line centre. RNH the 1st line. Horcoff or Cogliano the 3rd line. With dmen....the 3rd line centre won't play as much as a top four dman. I know I'd go for Oleksiak if he was available at 19th but someone will probably pick him higher for that size.

I ain't Tambellini though, what do I know other than RNH going 1st.

dereksutton9

Mar 28, 2011
Welcome to HF boards.

Doughty = Untradeable

Thanks.

I agree but I'm only going with the notion that the Kings believe Doughty and Jack Johnson are #1A and #1B meaning if that's the case, one could be expendable for the proper enticement. I would think any package involving the top pick in the draft would fit that. This notion of the two being equal was said multiple times by the HNIC late game crew (Weekes, Hughson, Simpson, etc.) during multiple broadcasts.

Personally, I think Doughty is a franchise player and Johnson isn't even in his class which is why I would want EDM to go after him. Alternatively, with RFA status nearing, do you through a big number at Doughty and use the picks as part of the compensatory package?

Bottom line is that I think they need help on the blueline and why not go after a known commodity over something that's a total crapshoot. You have to pay to get and I think Doughty is worth at minimum the top pick from a weak draft class.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
I think there's more than a distinct possibility that they go somewhere other than RNH with #1, or that they trade down to either 2 or 3 to select the guy they want. RNH probably has the most high-end potential of any player in this draft, but he also carries more risk than nearly any #1 overall in the past decade. Because they have already 'won' with Taylor Hall, my belief is that they should do everything in their power to avoid 'losing' at this draft, by which I mean draft the guy who's projects to be the most safe pick with first-line upside, which to me is one of Landeskog, Hamilton, Larsson or Couturier -- But that's just my humble opinion... I worry that if they "miss" with this pick (and for all we know, Larsson or Couturier could be a 'miss') they will have set the team back at least another year or maybe several.

If they hold onto #1, I could see them going with Larsson or perhaps even Couturier.... If they trade down, Strome and Murphy could be distinct possibilities. In the end though, I beleive they will bend to the pressure that comes with winning the #1 overall and select Nugent-Hopkins.

cheesed-off*

I'm wondering why more people are not talking about Huberdeau now - after these playoffs, aren't his 'hardware' credentials basically the same as Taylor Hall's ?

zeus3007*

I'm wondering why more people are not talking about Huberdeau now - after these playoffs, aren't his 'hardware' credentials basically the same as Taylor Hall's ?

Maybe his hardware credentials are, but Taylor Hall was hyped for years. Huberdeau kind of came out of nowhere. I honestly haven't seen him play so I can't compare there, but the scouts seem pretty sure that he is a notch below RNH.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
the only real concern about RNH is his ability to put on weight. He has apparently put on 6 pounds since the end of the season and is now 170 pounds.

It isn't unrealistic for him to add another 6-10 pounds this summer for a NHL ready 175-180.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

He's missing one Memorial Cup MVP when comparing hardware to Hall. And a World Junior medal.

cheesed-off*

He's missing one Memorial Cup MVP when comparing hardware to Hall. And a World Junior medal.

I meant 'this year' when I said 'after these playoffs'.

Ok, so he's come out of nowhere, but the fact is, he's where he is, so I'm wondering why there isn't a bigger buzz about him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the only real concern about RNH is his ability to put on weight. He has apparently put on 6 pounds since the end of the season and is now 170 pounds.

It isn't unrealistic for him to add another 6-10 pounds this summer for a NHL ready 175-180.

what was Skinner's weight during training camp last year?

he is a pretty slight player right now

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
IMHO the Oilers should take the following:

1st overall Couturier - If foot speed is the only concern, I'm not worried. He has all the other tools (size, smarts (defensive), skill (top PPG, top QMJHL player of the year, won scoring title as 17 year old)
19th McNeil || Scheifele || Puempel
31st Musil || Klefborn

GXL
Couturier is probably going to go 4-6th overall. Stu MacGregor said Huberdeau was the best prospect in the QMJHL so I don't think the Oilers are taking Couturier with the top pick. I've heard a few people say that they think he projects to be a 2nd line center.

You don't take a 2nd line player 1st overall.

I think there's more than a distinct possibility that they go somewhere other than RNH with #1, or that they trade down to either 2 or 3 to select the guy they want. RNH probably has the most high-end potential of any player in this draft, but he also carries more risk than nearly any #1 overall in the past decade. Because they have already 'won' with Taylor Hall, my belief is that they should do everything in their power to avoid 'losing' at this draft, by which I mean draft the guy who's projects to be the most safe pick with first-line upside, which to me is one of Landeskog, Hamilton, Larsson or Couturier -- But that's just my humble opinion... I worry that if they "miss" with this pick (and for all we know, Larsson or Couturier could be a 'miss') they will have set the team back at least another year or maybe several.

If they hold onto #1, I could see them going with Larsson or perhaps even Couturier.... If they trade down, Strome and Murphy could be distinct possibilities. In the end though, I beleive they will bend to the pressure that comes with winning the #1 overall and select Nugent-Hopkins.
From what I've heard, RNH is the only forward that projects to be a true 1st line player. I've even heard Landeskog described as a very good 2nd line player.

I also wouldn't want the Oilers to trade down. Just look at the Panthers. They traded down twice. Bouwmeester and Horton are good players but can you imagine how different the last 5-10 years would be for the Panthers had they picked Rick Nash and Eric Staal?

Last edited:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I meant 'this year' when I said 'after these playoffs'.

Ok, so he's come out of nowhere, but the fact is, he's where he is, so I'm wondering why there isn't a bigger buzz about him.

Ok, but after these playoffs, he's still a Memorial Cup MVP and a World Juniors medal short when comparing hardware. Sure he's done some similar things to Hall this year, but not last, and that is why he isn't talked about as a potential number 1. He's come out of relative nowhere to jump up the draft charts, whereas Hall was considered the frontrunner to be picked 1st in 2010 for a couple of years previously.

And he's getting plenty of buzz. Rumour has it Colorado is considering him with their 2nd overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->