Will the Oilers surprise us with the 1st pick?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I've never heard this, have a link or something? Sounds completely outlandish to compare him to one of the best players ever.

He certainly didn't compare him with the thought of him being anywhere near as good as Gretzky, he said if I recall that he had a similar skating style and tremendous vision.

If the pick is not RNH I'll be very surprised and will be especially disappointed if they take Larsson.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
I would be surprised at this point if it's anyone besides this guy...and the logic is simple...draft an elite centre this year, then target a high end D-man in next years (strong) draft. No way the Oilers pass on RNH. Book it.

Last edited:

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I'd have to say in the extremely little I've seen RNH he does look like Gretzky, only RNH does the modern quick stop when he gains the zone and looks back instead of the ole famous Gretzky circle, haha. Tremendous vision.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Oilers will probably take RNH, but I think it's a mistake. i think their best move is to move down a spot or two and take Larsson or even Hamilton(who is actually my favorite defenseman in the draft...it's hard not to see Shea Weber in this kid).

RNH is a sexy prospect for sure, but the Oilers' system has high end offense in spades. What it lacks is a true blue-chip, first pairing defenseman. There are some good, even great defensive prospects in Marincin, Petry, etc, but I think if you can supplement what you have up front in Hall, Eberle, MPS, Gagner with a defenseman the caliber of Larsson (or Hamilton), I think that's the next piece of the puzzle for what could be a very, very good Oilers team if they keep it together.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
When your scout compares a draftee to Gretzky, you know what's up.

Oilers Head Scout Stu MacGregor
"I've never been one who likes to compare players, especially when you get to Gretzky. Like, come on," MacGregor said. "Yzerman was drafted at 155 pounds. Sakic wasn't very big either. I'm not comparing this guy to those guys because they're hall-of-famers, but remember these guys are 17 and 18 years old.

Thats aboot it

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
No.

They may not take RNH, but that wouldn't necessarily be a surprise.

Yeah, it would be a surprise.

There's no shortage of evidence that suggests Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the player, and it doesn't end at Stu McGregor's comments on the matter.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've never heard this, have a link or something? Sounds completely outlandish to compare him to one of the best players ever.

I heard it from his mouth in person, face to face. And it's not like he was saying his skills are Gretzky-esque...what he was saying to me was that he's got a special asset to see the ice and anticipate what is going to happen...something he hasn't seen since Gretzky at that level.

As for the OP, no chance in hell.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=896240

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Cue Oilers fans to poop on you. I think they take Larsson.
Every shred of evidence out there is pointing to RNH. Its such a slam dunk to even argue otherwise is useless.

RNH is our guy. Other fanbases need to stop rationalizing Larsson as a choice for Edmonton.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
I heard it from his mouth in person, face to face. And it's not like he was saying his skills are Gretzky-esque...what he was saying to me was that he's got a special asset to see the ice and anticipate what is going to happen...something he hasn't seen since Gretzky at that level.

So, would Savard be a good comparison? Smallish center with excellent vision?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I just find it hard to believe anyone would mention Gretzky and a prospect. Its just stupid. They are setting up some pretty damn huge expectations. I can't recall if I saw it on Elliote Friedmans blog or Richard Cloutier's. If it was Friedman's its a little more believable.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Oilers will probably take RNH, but I think it's a mistake. i think their best move is to move down a spot or two and take Larsson or even Hamilton(who is actually my favorite defenseman in the draft...it's hard not to see Shea Weber in this kid).

RNH is a sexy prospect for sure, but the Oilers' system has high end offense in spades. What it lacks is a true blue-chip, first pairing defenseman. There are some good, even great defensive prospects in Marincin, Petry, etc, but I think if you can supplement what you have up front in Hall, Eberle, MPS, Gagner with a defenseman the caliber of Larsson (or Hamilton), I think that's the next piece of the puzzle for what could be a very, very good Oilers team if they keep it together.

The problem is that most of the talent are wingers. When I see oiler fans still projecting Horcoff to be on our 1st line with Hall and Eberle I throw up in my mouth a little. The Oilers need a guy to get the puck to the young snipers and someone that can help the atrocious pp. I have no doubt the Oilers will go heavy D with pick 19 and perhaps 31 but Center is at least as big of a hole as Dman right now.

zeus3007*

The Oilers are trying to build a cup winner (over time), not a 8th - 12th team like they had before. That is why they know they need to get a legitimate top line center, and they need to fill that position as soon as possible. Historically, it is easier to find and develop a top tier d-man in later rounds, so the Oil I think are taking their number one center now while they can, and will worry about the d-man next year with a draft full of top end d-man prospects. The Oilers center issues are just as bad as their defense issues, for what its worth.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I think the OP can expect the Oil to be boring and predictable and take RNH. There are plenty of good D in next year's draft, so this year they'll go for the other big hole(number 1 C)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad