Will the Oilers surprise us with the 1st pick?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by HockeyRulez, May 30, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. HockeyRulez

    HockeyRulez Panthers hockey since 1993

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2010
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    51
    Trophy Points:
    71
    Location:
    The Sunshine State
    Any chance one of Huberdeau, Couturier, Landeskog, Zibanejad, Hamilton or any other prospect gets picked with Edmonton's 1st overall pick???
     
  2. Michael Gary Scott

    Michael Gary Scott Toronto Maple Tron's

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Messages:
    5,076
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Cue Oilers fans to poop on you. I think they take Larsson.
     
  3. Muscles Glasses

    Muscles Glasses Registered User

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2007
    Messages:
    1,897
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    84
    Location:
    Edmonton
    I would put the percentage that the Oilers don't draft either RNH or Larsson at 0%
     
  4. MVP Tom Pyatt

    MVP Tom Pyatt Tommy P

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2009
    Messages:
    7,894
    Likes Received:
    423
    Trophy Points:
    94
    Location:
    Ottawa
    When your scout compares a draftee to Gretzky, you know what's up.
     
  5. Calgary McOilers

    Calgary McOilers Registered User

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1,396
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Calgary
    I'd give Couturier a 2% chance. So RNH or Larsson = 98% chance. :)
     
  6. Michael Gary Scott

    Michael Gary Scott Toronto Maple Tron's

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Messages:
    5,076
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I've never heard this, have a link or something? Sounds completely outlandish to compare him to one of the best players ever.
     
  7. Beerfish

    Beerfish Registered User

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2007
    Messages:
    15,290
    Likes Received:
    295
    Trophy Points:
    154
    He certainly didn't compare him with the thought of him being anywhere near as good as Gretzky, he said if I recall that he had a similar skating style and tremendous vision.

    If the pick is not RNH I'll be very surprised and will be especially disappointed if they take Larsson.
     
  8. MisterD

    MisterD 5-14-6-1

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2005
    Messages:
    11,277
    Likes Received:
    305
    Trophy Points:
    154
    Occupation:
    Management
    Location:
    Saskazoo
    I can confirm reading this in an article. Compared RNH's vision to that of Gretzky's.
     
  9. 488fitter

    488fitter Registered User

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,809
    Likes Received:
    111
    Trophy Points:
    82
    Location:
    Edmonton
    I would be surprised at this point if it's anyone besides this guy...and the logic is simple...draft an elite centre this year, then target a high end D-man in next years (strong) draft. No way the Oilers pass on RNH. Book it.
     
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  10. intangible

    intangible Registered User

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2010
    Messages:
    962
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    34
    I'd have to say in the extremely little I've seen RNH he does look like Gretzky, only RNH does the modern quick stop when he gains the zone and looks back instead of the ole famous Gretzky circle, haha. Tremendous vision.
     
  11. nomorekids

    nomorekids The original, baby

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2003
    Messages:
    33,375
    Likes Received:
    103
    Trophy Points:
    186
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    Home Page:
    The Oilers will probably take RNH, but I think it's a mistake. i think their best move is to move down a spot or two and take Larsson or even Hamilton(who is actually my favorite defenseman in the draft...it's hard not to see Shea Weber in this kid).

    RNH is a sexy prospect for sure, but the Oilers' system has high end offense in spades. What it lacks is a true blue-chip, first pairing defenseman. There are some good, even great defensive prospects in Marincin, Petry, etc, but I think if you can supplement what you have up front in Hall, Eberle, MPS, Gagner with a defenseman the caliber of Larsson (or Hamilton), I think that's the next piece of the puzzle for what could be a very, very good Oilers team if they keep it together.
     
  12. 488fitter

    488fitter Registered User

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,809
    Likes Received:
    111
    Trophy Points:
    82
    Location:
    Edmonton
    I recall reading this too. Stu had quite the hard on for his hockey sense and on ice vision.
     
  13. 40oz

    40oz ..........

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2007
    Messages:
    16,953
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    114
    Oilers Head Scout Stu MacGregor
    Thats aboot it
     
  14. Mansfield

    Mansfield possession obsession

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    Messages:
    13,494
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Occupation:
    Computer Programmer
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    No.

    They may not take RNH, but that wouldn't necessarily be a surprise.
     
  15. SK13

    SK13 T. Yoshi Muchakoopas

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    Messages:
    29,317
    Likes Received:
    517
    Trophy Points:
    170
    Location:
    Edmonton
    Yeah, it would be a surprise.

    There's no shortage of evidence that suggests Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the player, and it doesn't end at Stu McGregor's comments on the matter.
     
  16. R S

    R S @avs_tweets

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    Messages:
    25,468
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    127
    Occupation:
    scout
    I heard it from his mouth in person, face to face. And it's not like he was saying his skills are Gretzky-esque...what he was saying to me was that he's got a special asset to see the ice and anticipate what is going to happen...something he hasn't seen since Gretzky at that level.



    As for the OP, no chance in hell.

    http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=896240
     
  17. Eytinge

    Eytinge Registered User

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2009
    Messages:
    10,938
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    84
    Every shred of evidence out there is pointing to RNH. Its such a slam dunk to even argue otherwise is useless.

    RNH is our guy. Other fanbases need to stop rationalizing Larsson as a choice for Edmonton.
     
  18. Michael Gary Scott

    Michael Gary Scott Toronto Maple Tron's

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Messages:
    5,076
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    So, would Savard be a good comparison? Smallish center with excellent vision?
     
  19. theIceWookie

    theIceWookie #LeafHysteriaAlert

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2010
    Messages:
    9,016
    Likes Received:
    13
    Trophy Points:
    56
    Location:
    Canada
    I just find it hard to believe anyone would mention Gretzky and a prospect. Its just stupid. They are setting up some pretty damn huge expectations. I can't recall if I saw it on Elliote Friedmans blog or Richard Cloutier's. If it was Friedman's its a little more believable.
     
  20. Eytinge

    Eytinge Registered User

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2009
    Messages:
    10,938
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    84
    He's a much, much better skater then Savard. Datsyuk is the main comparison I think of when it comes to RNH.
     
  21. Jabba11

    Jabba11 Hockey Lobby

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2009
    Messages:
    5,152
    Likes Received:
    162
    Trophy Points:
    81
    Home Page:
    I say they could go with Sean Couturier or Jonathan Huberdeau. It wouldn't surprised me.
     
  22. R S

    R S @avs_tweets

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    Messages:
    25,468
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    127
    Occupation:
    scout
    Datsyuk
     
  23. Beerfish

    Beerfish Registered User

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2007
    Messages:
    15,290
    Likes Received:
    295
    Trophy Points:
    154
    The problem is that most of the talent are wingers. When I see oiler fans still projecting Horcoff to be on our 1st line with Hall and Eberle I throw up in my mouth a little. The Oilers need a guy to get the puck to the young snipers and someone that can help the atrocious pp. I have no doubt the Oilers will go heavy D with pick 19 and perhaps 31 but Center is at least as big of a hole as Dman right now.
     
  24. zeus3007*

    zeus3007* Guest

    The Oilers are trying to build a cup winner (over time), not a 8th - 12th team like they had before. That is why they know they need to get a legitimate top line center, and they need to fill that position as soon as possible. Historically, it is easier to find and develop a top tier d-man in later rounds, so the Oil I think are taking their number one center now while they can, and will worry about the d-man next year with a draft full of top end d-man prospects. The Oilers center issues are just as bad as their defense issues, for what its worth.
     
  25. s7ark

    s7ark RIP

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2003
    Messages:
    27,540
    Likes Received:
    52
    Trophy Points:
    176
    I think the OP can expect the Oil to be boring and predictable and take RNH. There are plenty of good D in next year's draft, so this year they'll go for the other big hole(number 1 C)
     

Share This Page

monitoring_string = "358c248ada348a047a4b9bb27a146148"