Will the Oilers benefit from a 48 game season?

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
After hearing that we are close to a CBA deal I wonder if the Oiler's will benefit from a shortened 48 game season?

The majority of the team (or stars at least) is either playing in OKC or over seas, most teams couldn't say this.

The big questions marks are still on defence and in net... Can Dubnyk be a legit #1 with only Spengler cup experience so far this season? Will Justin Shultz make a immediate impact?

In the last few years with worse teams than this year (on paper at least), Edmonton has come flying out of the gate and than hit a wall mid season, lets hope they do the same this year but have the season end before that wall hits.

Keep in mind that if they don't make the playoffs and finish 9-11th in the West, that is still a huge improvement and stepping stone to build on for 2013-14.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
In a 48 game sample, logic will not factor. I don't believe anyone will be able to say "9th to 11th" and not be throwing it out there with no basis, because any streak either way for any team in this league will dictate it, and with so much time off it's hard to say how teams (particularly veteran ones) will start.

Goofy teams will make the playoffs and mortal locks will miss them. Could it be the Oilers? Sure, it could be anybody.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
After hearing that we are close to a CBA deal I wonder if the Oiler's will benefit from a shortened 48 game season?

The majority of the team (or stars at least) is either playing in OKC or over seas, most teams couldn't say this.

The big questions marks are still on defence and in net... Can Dubnyk be a legit #1 with only Spengler cup experience so far this season? Will Justin Shultz make a immediate impact?

In the last few years with worse teams than this year (on paper at least), Edmonton has come flying out of the gate and than hit a wall mid season, lets hope they do the same this year but have the season end before that wall hits.

Keep in mind that if they don't make the playoffs and finish 9-11th in the West, that is still a huge improvement and stepping stone to build on for 2013-14.

While 9-11th would be a big improvement, with even an adeqate goaltending effort by DD, I would be disappointed with a playoff miss with all the talent the Oilers have.
defense is still suspect, but even still.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
While 9-11th would be a big improvement, with even an adeqate goaltending effort by DD, I would be disappointed with a playoff miss with all the talent the Oilers have.
defense is still suspect, but even still.

High hopes for a team that just finished 2nd last overall... Talent needs to be surrounded with support, on D and in the bottom six, something Oilers lack right now..

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
Tough to say if they will benefit because as you said the biggest question marks remain the same as what they were a year ago. With DD in net and not playing any games other than the recent spengler cup he could start the year cold again which would really hurt in a shortened season.

Then the defense is still a big question mark. Looks like we have something promising in Schultz but pretty much everyone else isn't playing. So it remains if Whitney will return to form or if Petry will take a step back from not playing or how affected Smid will be by his injury.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Given that the core has been playing together for most of the lockout there is a very good chance the Oilers will get out to a great start which would be much more valuable in a 48 game season.

I wouldn't be shocked if this made them a playoff team this year, especially if Dubnyk plays well. That said, even in a shortened season, I don't expect them to make the playoffs. Still too many holes in the roster and the kids haven't hit full stride yet.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The AHL boys should be ready to go but I'm not sure how that helps the rest of our team.

You gotta figure Smyth won't burn out which is good.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Sure, they are expected to be a last place team so they have the most to gain from a shortened season.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
After 48 games last season the Oilers were in a playoff spot if I recall correctly.

They were not.

However the Minnesota Wild and Toronto Maple Leafs were, and the Pittsburgh Penguins weren't.

It'll be even goofier than that thanks to a midseason start.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Yeah super strong start with super Khabby and Smyth.

I just don't know about the rest of our D, and how guys like Gagner, Hemsky and Smid and any others playing in Europe will do.

Potter left because he was having a baby, Horcoff has been drinking Starbucks in NY for the last 4 months, etc.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yeah super strong start with super Khabby and Smyth.

I just don't know about the rest of our D, and how guys like Gagner, Hemsky and Smid and any others playing in Europe will do.

Potter left because he was having a baby, Horcoff has been drinking Starbucks in NY for the last 4 months, etc.

Most of the vets in this league having been drinking starbucks for the last 4 months plus.

Difference here is that a good portion of our core has been playing, playing well and playing together. Plus, injuries always seem to be at play, and near as I can tell, everyone is healthy.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
High hopes for a team that just finished 2nd last overall... Talent needs to be surrounded with support, on D and in the bottom six, something Oilers lack right now..

We may have plenty of support in the bottom 6 this year since it will be hard for Smyth, Horcoff, Yakupov and Jones to crack the top 6 with the 4 kids + Hemsky & Hartikainen. Add in Eager and Belanger to the mix and the top 6 to me is good enough.

We still lack a top 4 RD until J.Schultz is able to take that spot. LD is decent enough with Smid, Whitney and N.Schultz. Hopefully we could pick one up for cheap before the season gets going.

Im happy with Dubnyk in net..

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
We may have plenty of support in the bottom 6 this year since it will be hard for Smyth, Horcoff, Yakupov and Jones to crack the top 6 with the 4 kids + Hemsky & Hartikainen. Add in Eager and Belanger to the mix and the top 6 to me is good enough.

We still lack a top 4 RD until J.Schultz is able to take that spot. LD is decent enough with Smid, Whitney and N.Schultz. Hopefully we could pick one up for cheap before the season gets going.

Im happy with Dubnyk in net..

Why on earth would Hartikainen crack the top-six ahead of Nail Yakupov?

I think there's a far better chance Hartikainen doesn't play for the Oilers than beats Yakupov for a top-six spot.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

I think there's a far better chance Hartikainen doesn't play for the Oilers than beats Yakupov for a top-six spot.

size, experience, chemistry, knowing the system..
There is no shame in starting out on the 3rd line assuming he gets his PP time..
IMO Hartikainen has as good a chance of cracking the lineup as Yakupov..
Yakupov will be better than Eberle when its all said and done but for this shortened season I can easily see EDM sending Yak back to KHL to finish off the season after a 9 game tryout.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the less games we play in january the better, traditionally that is the oilers worst month

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

I have a feeling I'm in the minority but I think I'd rather have Hartikainen in the AHL for a little bit, unless we need him. Give him loads of minutes. With a 48 game season I'd be less concerned with the development of B level prospects and more concerned with icing the best possible team. Each win is that much more crucial in a short season.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I have a feeling I'm in the minority but I think I'd rather have Hartikainen in the AHL for a little bit, unless we need him. Give him loads of minutes. With a 48 game season I'd be less concerned with the development of B level prospects and more concerned with icing the best possible team. Each win is that much more crucial in a short season.

Agreed.

We can't really take every single producer out of the AHL, and Hartikainen is not a top-six NHL player. I get the size element, but he has no hope in the world of actually producing in that hole.

It seems pretty obvious that it will be Yakupov.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
will it be...

having the young guys who are currently in the AHL starting the NHL season in great game form and playing well up until game 48

or

having the same guys getting worn out and tired from playing so much already and then adding on the shortened/condensed NHL schedule

or both? :D

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think we will benefit from the 48 game season

If we start fast, like we normally do, and avoid injury for half of the season, we could sneak into the 6-8 spot.

Once all of our guys are hurt in the playoffs, we get swept :laugh:

But seriously, with Hall/Schultz/Eberle/Yakupov/RNH all playing competitive hockey still, we should be fine

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
If the NBA highlighted anything, a shortened season helps veteran teams (Celtics) play much better due to longer rest and less games. So a team like Detroit will benefit the most imo.

For the Oilers, I think we've already benefited. Hall didn't have to be rushed back into the lineup after a major shoulder injury, he got to rehab fully and play in the AHL. Schultz didn't have to jump straight from NCAA to NHL, went to the AHL first. Yakupov didn't have to go from the juniors to the NHL straight either, got to play in the KHL first.

Not only that, but with a shortened season, health might not be that big of an issue(Whitney, Hemsky etc etc).

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I can understand that , but does Yakupov give us a better chance then Hartikainen . Hartikainen brings some size , grit and a physical present to the top 6 . Yakupov as a rookie is what good for 20 to 25 goals . Probabbly less over a short season . It always take rookies time to find their way in the NHL . I think Hartikainen is good for close to 20 goals while providing some much needed size and sandpaper

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
No. There are still too many holes on the roster thanks to Tambellini and our young guys still have some developing to do. One losing streak will do them in in a 48 game schedule and we all know that this team has a few losing streaks in them.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Oilers always start strong, and the playoffs could possibly begin before everyone gets injured.

We'll see what the time off did for guys like Whitney as well.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I do not think the two sides are as close as some people are saying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad