Will the MLS become one of the biggest leagues in the world in our lifetime?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Uhhh, that's my point. Someone made a point of American being better trained. My point is that's not enough as they end up going to play in Europe. That does little to help the MLS.

As the homegrown players get better the transfer fees get higher, that money is recycled back into the clubs and academies which in turn create even better players and stronger clubs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As the homegrown players get better the transfer fees get higher, that money is recycled back into the clubs and academies which in turn create even better players and stronger clubs.

Which still doesn't close the gap to Germany/Spain/France as they are investing more in already better academies and getting more money to continue doing so.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

USSF still blocking solidarity payments? Won't mean much until that stops

Almost our entire CMT u20 rosters is MTL, VAN and TFC academy products.

And the vast majority will continue to come from only there (via some of the stronger youth academies) because there's virtually nowhere else for promising young players to go if they want to play professionally. That's not a good thing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The structure of the MLS will keep it from ever being relevant.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No. There is enough money domestically to make it happen, but unless there are some major changes the MLS will be considered a lesser league both domestically and abroad.

USSF doesn't seem to have a solid plan to advance football in the USA, and as long as that remains the MLS will stay a fringe league. It will make its money because it is in the USA, but talent wise it will never successfully compete and Team USA will continue to be held back for it (unless they fully compete to sending big talents overseas).

MLS will NEVER become number 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad