Will the long break hurt or help the Leafs?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This "off season" has magically fixed the Leafs issues, so it's a help apparently.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This "off season" has magically fixed the Leafs issues, so it's a help apparently.

Not sure what "issues" you're referring to but getting healthy and having some time to work on doing things the way the new coach wants them done should help. Magic indeed. :laugh::laugh:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The playoffs have always been a different "game", but due to COVID it might not be this year. The advantage of the break is there for the taking if the Leafs choose to take it. This COVID cup is up for grabs. Hopefully players are disiplined and do not contract the virus but if a key player gets it, it could change a series.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In terms of health it helps the Leafs but that is also true for all teams.

That is a good thing overall however as we will get to see best on best now as opposed to a bunch of beat up rosters.

Reactions: Antropovsky

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Back - up goalie and added toughness didn't come until late.
3rd backup goalie in less than 2 seasons. He addressed it twice before, it just didn't work out.

Toughness was stuffed into the pressbox because the previous coach wouldn't use it. That's not on the GM.

He wanted Clifford originally in the Muzzin deal, and finally got him with Campbell.

The narrative that he ignored those things flies in the face of reality.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Help.

Before the break the season we were having had a dark cloud over it from Babcock. It's clear he shouldn't have been brought back to start the season and that dubas didn't want him but ownership said otherwise. Now we finally get a clean slate and Keefe gets a few weeks of practices to set his players up for success and really drill in how he wants them to play.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I'm not sure.

It helps us to get healthy, but at the same time, it also gave Columbus the chance to get healthy...so I'm not sure how advantageous it is for us in that regard.

Also, one of our biggest issues is attention to detail within a system, so a long break from playing real NHL games might bring out our sloppiest selves, but it might do the same to Columbus -- however, I wouldn't count on it, they play a pretty simple system, and really rely on their attention to detail as a team.

The other factor is goaltending. Andersen has a reputation for starting slow in October, and if that is a proxy for how he will be coming out of this extended break from action, then that doesn't bode well for us.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
For the most part help.

Gives.the injured guys time to get up to speed. I think older teams will have greater difficulty with the start-stop-start structure of this year

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I got my eye on Willy. He didn't return well from a break last time. I have concerns about the teams discipline during the break. Bunch of young millionaires.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Odd reference since this is not October. The quote isn't "doing sort of the same thing but not really, over and over again."

Also Einstein never said it. 12 Famous Quotes That Always Get Misattributed.

It was a sarcastic post. Also, I just googled it and copied and pasted it.... don’t really care about who really said it. If I did, I would be on a famous quotes board and not a hockey board.

... Seems you are suggesting that other forces could be the cause of his routine sow starts, other than layoff length. Certaintly... could be that Andersen just doesn’t care as much about the beginning of regular season games or maybe it’s just a combo of his team not performing quite well enough and he just took the blame. Other angles could be found. Sure this is different... maybe he will prepare better. Although I doubt he was on the ice more these past couple months more than he was in a typical offseason.

We will see

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I got my eye on Willy. He didn't return well from a break last time. I have concerns about the teams discipline during the break. Bunch of young millionaires.
Willy had a different situation last time, he was stepping into a season that was already in full swing with everyone in game shape and fully ready. This is moreso like the start of a new season since everyone had 4 and a half months off, not just William. I think he should be fine

Reactions: kb and ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander isn’t the only player who’s been on a break. All players will be starting from the same point.

Reactions: kb

Mar 26, 2010
Help. They've had a chance to get healthy, something they've battle with all season.

Also we're basically starting a new season if you consider the length of the break. We could see sloppy defensive play, where the Leafs offensive game can really shine through. At least at the beginning.
This exactly.

I believe it will help.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well I do think it helped. The team was pretty inconsistent and were in a great war with Florida to throw away a playoff spot. So it helped in just getting in without as much trouble as it might have ended up being. The chance to get healthier (sorry Johnsson) is a big gain too. Guys were either hurt or coming back without necessarily being 100%. Rielly needed this kind of effective offseason. Having a big training camp before the playoffs helps Keefe quite a bit. There's a limit to what can be done in the middle the season to get things closer to how he wants them. And it did offer a chance to reflect on what he did and didn't do well as coach.

Hurt...well this team's mental strength is questionable at times. Hard to say if they can get fully fired up and ready to take on a challenge like this with just camp and a single exhibition game. Andersen isn't great at the start of a season...

Honestly, I don't see it hurting us much. Lot of potential gains for the team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They? As in Leafs or teams as a whole?

If they win (the Leafs)... they have exceeded expectations (and it has helped, i agree it could be perceived this way). If they lose, they have met expectations of the regular season.

Based on the regular season, the leafs are not a favorite. This team beat teams it shouldnt have and lost to teams it shouldn't have. We are not the Bruins or the Blues... we could surprise but we are a middle of the pack bunch that isnt expected to win. We are the definition of a team that could win or could lose... we have the talent to win the cup, more so than columbus, and islanders. But we also have uncertainty... we arent expected to win as much as teams like Boston, Washington and St.louis.

Maybe YOUR expectations but the fact is this team has 2 superstar centers, arguably the deepest winger depth in the league, a top 10 goalie, and no 1 season doesn't change that especially when that season didn't even finish, and an absolute stud on defense in Reilly.

As long as those things still remain true, and they are my expectations are and will remain cup or bust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad