Will the long break hurt or help the Leafs?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
After such a long break, it won't take the TV audience long to get back into the routine of watching hockey. The new format aside, will this break help or hurt the Leafs? Especially considering the tough, grinding hockey they are about to face against Columbus.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who knows.I’m sure it’ll be sloppy for everyone for a few games.

Teams that get knocked out early and the teams that didn’t make it will be very rusty when the 2020/21 season starts.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
It better help them or they have no chance. Potentially having a full roster can only be a good thing.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
They had been fighting through a string of defense injuries that had them 8-8-2 in their past 18. They have to be in better shape. I believe it's been revealed that Rielly had been playing hurt most of the season.

BTW, Columbus were 3-12-0 in their past 15. They have to be better opponents than the team that seemed to be free falling.

Reactions: kb

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
They had been fighting through a string of defense injuries that had them 8-8-2 in their past 18. They have to be in better shape. I believe it's been revealed that Rielly had been playing hurt most of the season.

BTW, Columbus were 3-12-0 in their past 15. They have to be better opponents than the team that seemed to be free falling.

Jackets had a rash of injuries as well.

Generally, I think cold hockey favors offense simply because individual ability contributes to goals scored greater than defense, which relies heavily on positioning, communication, and coordination.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think this is where your coaching staff & player leadership has to earn it's money, getting everyone refocused and undistracted is probably much less automatic than most of us would assume.

I've never been a fan of trying to place value on intangibles, but I do think this is a situation that those with laser focus & the ability to get their team mates to follow suit have an advantage.

It will be good to have our D corps back, at face value I would have said a short break would benefit the Leafs more than the average team because of all of the injuries that we got back within about 2 weeks of either side of the end of the season. The longer break I think will hurt the less disciplined teams, vacation mode kind of thing

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Help, no question at all for me. With our injury issues, we weren't looking good at all when play was stopped.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Help.

We get our defenders healthy again. A healthy Rielly and Muzzin (and begrudgingly Ceci) is really good for the team. Getting Mikheyev back is nice as well.

But I also think that a nice long break will be huge for Tavares and Marner. Both seemed like they were carrying a lot of mental baggage this season and struggled to be their dominant selves. A reset might help them find their consistency and they both have the ability to win a series single-handedly. The break should also be very good for Barrie, who gets his shot at redemption and auditions for a big UFA contract (from someone else).

The only real concern I think we have is October Freddy. Goaltending can win or lose a series, but I think if he's even average (.910 or so) we beat CBJ easily.

Reactions: supermann_98

member 300185

Help.

We get our defenders healthy again. A healthy Rielly and Muzzin (and begrudgingly Ceci) is really good for the team. Getting Mikheyev back is nice as well.

But I also think that a nice long break will be huge for Tavares and Marner. Both seemed like they were carrying a lot of mental baggage this season and struggled to be their dominant selves. A reset might help them find their consistency and they both have the ability to win a series single-handedly. The break should also be very good for Barrie, who gets his shot at redemption and auditions for a big UFA contract (from someone else).

The only real concern I think we have is October Freddy. Goaltending can win or lose a series, but I think if he's even average (.910 or so) we beat CBJ easily.
I thought we had all agreed that Ceci played pretty well for us this season. He was actually.....good.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Help. They've had a chance to get healthy, something they've battle with all season.

Also we're basically starting a new season if you consider the length of the break. We could see sloppy defensive play, where the Leafs offensive game can really shine through. At least at the beginning.

also keefe has more time to prep

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I thought we had all agreed that Ceci played pretty well for us this season. He was actually.....good.
I must have missed that meeting. Though I have certainly come around to that he was at least okay in a pretty tough role and got more criticism than he deserved. I don't think he was successful enough where I would agree that he was "good", but I think he survived in a really tough situation.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I must have missed that meeting. Though I have certainly come around to that he was at least okay in a pretty tough role and got more criticism than he deserved. I don't think he was successful enough where I would agree that he was "good", but I think he survived in a really tough situation.
Would rather him than Marincin.
Going to be interesting to see where Sandin fits. As I don’t think Sandin should be in the lineup if the D are all healthy.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
It'll hurt a little, but I'd say not as bad as other teams.

Teams that play structured systems hockey(Columbus, Boston, NYI) will be hurt a lot more than teams that play run and gun hockey.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Teams that play structured systems hockey(Columbus, Boston, NYI) will be hurt a lot more than teams that play run and gun hockey.
This is also a very underrated issue. Good point.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Totally agree with this. Boston is a team that seems to gain steam as they go. A lot of more veteran or structured teams are like that. We should have little issue getting up to speed faster. I think our big X factor is Freddie.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I have to agree with something Marchand said about this, months prior to this coming together. He said something along the lines of, "the younger teams will have an advantage in coming back and performing well if the NHL returns". I have to agree with this, older teams and older players, likely will find it harder to get back into the swing of things. The resiliency of youth may be the turning point.

Reactions: saffronleaf and kb

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I have to agree with something Marchand said about this, months prior to this coming together. He said something along the lines of, "the younger teams will have an advantage in coming back and performing well if the NHL returns". I have to agree with this, older teams and older players, likely will find it harder to get back into the swing of things. The resiliency of youth may be the turning point.
Imagine how heavy Chara's legs are gonna feel...

Reactions: saffronleaf

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If they win...it helped

If they lose...it hurt

will inevitably be the narrative.

They? As in Leafs or teams as a whole?

If they win (the Leafs)... they have exceeded expectations (and it has helped, i agree it could be perceived this way). If they lose, they have met expectations of the regular season.

Based on the regular season, the leafs are not a favorite. This team beat teams it shouldnt have and lost to teams it shouldn't have. We are not the Bruins or the Blues... we could surprise but we are a middle of the pack bunch that isnt expected to win. We are the definition of a team that could win or could lose... we have the talent to win the cup, more so than columbus, and islanders. But we also have uncertainty... we arent expected to win as much as teams like Boston, Washington and St.louis.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They? As in Leafs or teams as a whole?

If they win (the Leafs)... they have exceeded expectations (and it has helped, i agree it could be perceived this way). If they lose, they have met expectations of the regular season.

Based on the regular season, the leafs are not a favorite. This team beat teams it shouldnt have and lost to teams it shouldn't have. We are not the Bruins or the Blues... we could surprise but we are a middle of the pack bunch that isnt expected to win. We are the definition of a team that could win or could lose... we have the talent to win the cup, more so than columbus, and islanders. But we also have uncertainty... we arent expected to win as much as teams like Boston, Washington and St.louis.

Not sure what "expectations of the regular season means" but it seems like a meaningless phrase to me. We had a ton of injuries, a coaching change etc., why would anyone base their expectations on this regular season is beyond me. Now we should be almost 100% healthy, the new coach will have some time to work on doing things the way he wants and we were much, much better with the new coach even without that.

It's a short series so anything can happen and as always, goaltending will play a huge role so people expecting us to win easily and acting as if us winning is a foregone conclusion are crazy IMO. Having said that, you said it yourself, we have the talent to win the cup and CLB is nowhere close to being able to say that. Forget the regular season, we're 100% the clear favourites in this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->