Will the habs still have the worst prospect pool after the 2018 draft?

After 2018 draft habs prospect pool

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
It’s no secret the habs by far have the worst prospect pool in the league but going in the 2018 draft they have the 3rd overall pick to go along with 4 second round picks. Do you think after this draft the habs will still have the worst prospect pool?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
No. Zadina will make a difference. I guess if he comes in and contributes right away, then he's not a prospect anymore, so we might be the worst again after that. Depressing.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
if we do then there needs to be more house cleaning done. There's no excuse to have the worst prospect pool after this draft when we have 3rd overall and 9 picks thereafter from rounds 2-5, with 4 coming in the 2nd round. No excuse.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
No. Zadina will make a difference. I guess if he comes in and contributes right away, then he's not a prospect anymore, so we might be the worst again after that. Depressing.
2nd round picks are significant, Montreal will be boasting a lot more depth in their prospect pool after this draft. Might not be the high-end talent they're looking for but it is a good first step.

Zadina coming in and contributing right away seems like a great outcome for Habs fans, not something to be depressed about.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Well, that 1st rounder is certainly nice, so they will have one bluechipper to add, for sure. And maybe one or two of those 2nd rounders might make it to the NHL.

I say........bottom three in the league. An improvement!!!

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
2nd round picks are significant, Montreal will be boasting a lot more depth in their prospect pool after this draft. Might not be the high-end talent they're looking for but it is a good first step.

Zadina coming in and contributing right away seems like a great outcome for Habs fans, not something to be depressed about.

That's if we pick well in the second round. Habs haven't drafted well in recent times, and we don't seem to get the late round steals that other teams do. I see no reason for things to change, except for the fact that as you say, we have more second round picks and have a greater chance of lucking out from a volume standpoint.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
You'd have to have some pretty awful drafting to maintain that place at the bottom, I'm going to think positively here.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
They already don’t, though. Pittsburgh is easily worse, as a fan, and I’d argue that at least a couple other teams are as well. IMO Scherbak and Juulsen will be top-6 and top-4 players, respectively, sooner rather than later. Poehling doesn’t have a great ceiling but is a can’t-miss 3C who could become a 2C. Their supporting cast of prospects isn’t awful either. I personally like Jake Evans and Cayden Primeau quite a bit.

The problem is that they haven’t won jack shit, whereas the few teams around or below them (i.e. Pittsburgh and Chicago) are happy to have very few good prospects on the horizon.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
That's if we pick well in the second round. Habs haven't drafted well in recent times, and we don't seem to get the late round steals that other teams do. I see no reason for things to change, except for the fact that as you say, we have more second round picks and have a greater chance of lucking out from a volume standpoint.

I thought Timmins was a god?

They shouldn't with all these picks

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Well, since Habs cant develop, the answer is yeap, still the worst...

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Probably top 15 after this draft. 5 top 60 picks will make the habs look like a winner on draft night. As long as they draft BPA and not get caught up on french/size issues they should be good. Habs will be a better developing team as well. I think bergervin is gone 20 games into next season

Reactions: 99664987

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, too many top 50 picks, combined with number 3 should be a massive boost.

I'm also not sure they have the worst system. Teams like Washington and Pitt are pretty depleted due to constantly making trades for immediate needs.

Reactions: Chainshot

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Have you seen SJ's prospect pool? Add in the fact they have one 1st, one 2nd, and one 3rd in the next two drafts?

Eeee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad