Will the Flames finally pull the trigger and get a forward that can score goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Its June 27 so July 1 UFA Day is 4 days away. When the Flames traded Hamilton and Ferland they lost 38 goals from their lineup and only gained back 26. That's a -12 goal deficit.

Last year Treliving said that the thing that kept him awake at night was the Flames ability to score goals. He was right to worry as the Flames were only able to score 2.65 goals per game last year. I suspect he's still losing sleep.. even more so with Hamilton and Ferland gone.

What do you think? Will Treliving be able to sign a sniper or two on July 1 or shortly thereafter? Or will it be business as usual by trying to get a bit more scoring from the bottom 6 forwards and hoping that a number of under performing players have banner years?

Frankly I don't think we have a hope in hell of being a legitimate SC contender without the ability to score over 3 goals per game on average. That's 246 goals over the course of a season. Last year we only scored 218. That's a 30 goal shortfall and we're already -12 goals in the hole after the Hamilton/Ferland trade.

I certainly hope we're not going for the "Try to improve our bottom 6 by a few goals and hope for the best with regards to everyone else" plan.

Should we pull the money out of the piggy bank and sign someone like 29 year old UFA James Van Riemdyk (36 goals - 54 pts last year) or 30 year old UFA Michael Grabner (27 goals) or 30 year old James Neal (25 goals - 19 pts in 71 games) or 34 year old UFA Thomas Vanek (24 goals -56 points) or even 30 year old UFA David Peron (16 goals and 50 assists for 66 pts)?

What are your thoughts? I know I'll be sorely disappointed if we don't have one of the above players in our lineup come October 4.

Edit: Signing one of the above UFAs may require the Flames to break their self imposed player salary cap of $6.75 million per year and for term that may be longer than desirable.

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
tenor.gif

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
As an addendum, some people feel that signing UFA's are a waste of money and they're usually overpaid and they under perform and the term is usually too long. Better to keep the money in the bank and try to improve via the trade route and develop your prospects.

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Great response. I love it when posters make a well thought out contribution to a thread that initiates more and better discussion. Keep up the good work. :thumbu:
I actually put a bit of thought into choosing the right GIF that says "How am I supposed to know if we are or not!?"

Is your question whether or not we will? Or is it whether or not we as fans want to? Cause the first one can't be answered until after July 1st. The second is currently being discussed in the Armchair GM thread.

So to sum up:
giphy.gif

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Why are you starting a million new threads? This should simply be in armchair GM.
Because the armchair thread has a million and one topics and its 50 pages long and I suspect that most people don't have the time or desire to wade through it all. This is about one specific topic and one specific point in time. Its not like the Flames forum is over whelmed with topics/posts.

Sorry if I upset you by starting a topic about one specific point of discussion. Next time I post I'll be sure to get your permission.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Because the armchair thread has a million and one topics and its 50 pages long and I suspect that most people don't have the time or desire to wade through it all. This is about one specific topic and one specific point in time. Its not like the Flames forum is over whelmed with topics/posts.

Sorry if I upset you by starting a topic about one specific point of discussion. Next time I post I'll be sure to get your permission.
You're oddly defensive for a guy who thinks he did nothing wrong.

Anyways, I think the answer to this question is yes. Treliving's job is on the line. He'll do whatever it takes to get us back to the playoffs. That's what I think.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He'll get one of the big ones.
JVR is most likely IMO. He'll reach that 6.3.-6.7 pretty easily on a long term deal.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I actually put a bit of thought into choosing the right GIF that says "How am I supposed to know if we are or not!?"

Is your question whether or not we will? Or is it whether or not we as fans want to? Cause the first one can't be answered until after July 1st. The second is currently being discussed in the Armchair GM thread.

So to sum up:
giphy.gif
That's better. At least you explained yourself.

So, from your response, I take it that you are unable to have an opinion as to whether of not we will... at least until July 1. Will you still have no opinion as to whether or not the Flames will spend the big bucks on a UFA if come July 2 they still haven't (assuming that all the top UFAs haven't been snapped up)?

As to the second part, I have no desire to wade through 50 pages of postings about a million different ideas/topics to find discussion on one particular topic. Maybe its just me or maybe I have ADD, although I don't think I have, but I hate these catch all threads that go on for pages and pages.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Anyways, I think the answer to this question is yes. Treliving's job is on the line. He'll do whatever it takes to get us back to the playoffs. That's what I think.
Sorry if I came off sounding defensive. Was just trying to explain my reasons.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Pretty hard to get upset over a new thread, so I'm not. Just don't see the point when people can quote their replies to you. If I had to guess, they will go after a bigger name UFA. This team needs to start ramping up to make a push over the next 1-3 years imo.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
That's better. At least you explained yourself.

So, from your response, I take it that you are unable to have an opinion as to whether of not we will... at least until July 1. Will you still have no opinion as to whether or not the Flames will spend the big bucks on a UFA if come July 1
they haven't yet?

As to the second part, I have no desire to wade through 50 pages of postings about a million different ideas/topics to find discussion on one particular topic. Maybe its just me or maybe I have ADD, although I don't think I have, but I hate these catch all threads that go on for pages and pages.
I get it, but you can literally post your thoughts on the newest page and you'll get fresh (not sarcastic) discussions right away. Chances are posters thoughts on the subject 45 pages ago are different now. Give it a shot!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He'll get one of the big ones.
JVR is most likely IMO. He'll reach that 6.3.-6.7 pretty easily on a long term deal.
I'd like to see that too. Unfortunately I think when it comes to UFA's, Trelivings attitude has been "We're going to try to get this guy. We'll offer him what we think he's worth... but not a penny more" instead of "We're going to sign this guy... whatever it takes". JMO.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They f***ing better. This team needs another 30 goal player so incredibly bad. A forward who knows how to take a slapshot bare minimum because I'm honestly not sure we have one.

Wanted Kovalchuk, but Neal I'd be happy with. If not him then Vanek on a short term deal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd like to see that too. Unfortunately I think when it comes to UFA's, Trelivings attitude has been "We're going to try to get this guy. We'll offer him what we think he's worth... but not a penny more" instead of "We're going to sign this guy... whatever it takes". JMO.

Well, if that's the case we never would have signed Engelland, Stone, Brouwer, etc.
Treliving buys into the market, but he tries to save 1-2 million here and there going for the lesser brand names. This summer he has to get up and go for the name brand and someone you know will produce.

You know with JVR Calgary will get 30-40 goals from the guy next season. He'll get top PP minutes with Johnny, Mony and Chucky; he'll get easy defensive matchups playing on the 3rd line... like, the guy's going to produce. It's better than Perron and him reverting back to the forward he was his entire career.

Reactions: Rubicon 4x4

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I don't think Treliving's job is on the line. He just signed a new contract for what... three more years IIRC? The safe way to go is to not sign one of the top UFAs who will probably be overpaid and the term will probably be too long. Tinker with the bottom 6 of the lineup by bringing in one or two new guys at fairly inexpensive contracts and shorter terms.

I hope Treliving doesn't take the safe route but I wouldn't be surprised if he does. Of course if he does go the safe way, he'll make the excuse that he tried for one of the big UFA's but they just couldn't make a deal that was acceptable.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Perron sucks. Don't want any part of him . Would like JVR but only on a 4-5 year deal and he'll want 6 or 7 and that's no bueno.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I get it, but you can literally post your thoughts on the newest page and you'll get fresh (not sarcastic) discussions right away. Chances are posters thoughts on the subject 45 pages ago are different now. Give it a shot!
Next time I'll give it a shot! Too late for this thread though... I'm committed. Do or die. Sink or swim. All or nothin. …. as he says as his plane is being shot down in flames. ;)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Perron sucks. Don't want any part of him . Would like JVR but only on a 4-5 year deal and he'll want 6 or 7 and that's no bueno.
Yeah. Perron is definitely riskier than JVR. However JVR will most likely get 6 or 7 years from somewhere else, because he's that good and he still is only 29. If we really want JVR we will probably have to bite the bullet term wise. I think he's worth it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yeah, they need to add another ~30 goal scorer. And unless Treliving can steal someone in a trade, it's basically has to come from free agency. There's not a whole lot of viable trade assets left unless they want to destroy the farm. The only real surplus left is on left wing (Bennett/Mangiapane) and in net (Rittich/Gillies).

Reactions: Rubicon 4x4

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Yeah, they need to add another ~30 goal scorer. And unless Treliving can steal someone in a trade, it's basically has to come from free agency. There's not a whole lot of viable trade assets left unless they want to destroy the farm. The only real surplus left is on left wing (Bennett/Mangiapane) and in net (Rittich/Gillies).

There is only two 30~ goal scorers in free agency, not counting Tavares. JVR has scored at a 30.5 goal pace for the last 5 seasons, and Neal has scored at a 28 goal pace for the last 4 seasons.

I doubt we get either one, and that's if Treliving is even trying to sign either guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad