Will the entire top 6 of the 2013 draft be top line/top pairing players?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It's extremely rare to see zero disappointments in the top 6 picks in a draft, normally at least one becomes either a mediocre player or a total bust. With that being said, not many drafts have a top 6 as talented as 2013. MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones, Lindholm and Monahan, they all look like studs to me. How many do you think will turn into legit 1st liners/1st pairing dmen in their primes? If you think any of them top out as 2nd liners/2nd pairing dmen or worse, who do you see disappointing?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
IMO not only will they all be top line/pairing guys, but they might all be star's in the league as well.

Barkov, Mack, Jones, and Monahan already look like they are borderline top line/pairing guys.

They're all producing at near ppg paces, or in Jones' case he's getting played 25 Mins a night already, and not looking out of place.

Lindholm hasn't had the start these guys have had, but he's still looked decent.

Honestly if I were to guess one player that might not be elite it would probably be Lindholm or Drouin.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Offensively for sure. But defensively he has a lot of work to do

He just turned 18 about a month ago.. And now he's playing the NHL. He'll have plenty of time to learn the defensive game at the NHL level. For what its worth he was a great two-way player in juniors as well as far more physical. I think as he gets more comfortable at this level, continues to grow and puts on some weight he will continue to evolve and develop as a player.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This is looking like a really really really good draft.
Agreed! It looked like an outstanding class pre-draft, and is maybe looking even better now. Not just the top of the draft (which is super strong), lots of the mid 1st round guys are looking awesome too. For example, in the 13th-20th range alone we've got Mantha, Zadorov, Lazar, Pulock and Morrissey all tearing it up.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
MacKinnon, Barkov and Jones for sure. Monahan has looked awesome so far, but still i am not so sure he will be real 1st liner once Calgary gets their ***** togethet. I have never seen Drouin as great as most and if anyone of the top 6 picks "busts" as in not becoming 1st liner it's Drouin IMO. Lindholm i see as 2nd liner as best. I was blown away by the "who is better Barkov or Lindholm" before the draft, because i think Barkov is in a different tire than Lindholm.

so Barkov, MacKinnon, Jones: yes
Monahan: Propably
Drouin: Propably, but i still doubt
Lindholm: I just can't see him making it

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
5, All of them except Lindholm for me but I still think he is a good second line player. However I believe there will be 10 first line top pair players from this draft class. Many players have an outside shot, look at all the first rounders tearing it up this year already. Someone mentioned earlier Mantha, Lazar, Zadorov, Morrisey add Poirier to that list Gatineau has a real good team this year and he has 20 points in 10 games 10 goals.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
MacKinnon, Barkov and Jones for sure. Monahan has looked awesome so far, but still i am not so sure he will be real 1st liner once Calgary gets their ***** togethet. I have never seen Drouin as great as most and if anyone of the top 6 picks "busts" as in not becoming 1st liner it's Drouin IMO. Lindholm i see as 2nd liner as best. I was blown away by the "who is better Barkov or Lindholm" before the draft, because i think Barkov is in a different tire than Lindholm.

so Barkov, MacKinnon, Jones: yes
Monahan: Propably
Drouin: Propably, but i still doubt
Lindholm: I just can't see him making it

I agree with your post. As for the bolded, threads like that between european players (before coming to NA, actually even if only one is european) always end up being a poopshow since most people commenting haven't seen an ample sample size (ample sample hardy har) or are just there to pump up their country's prospect

TylerSVT*

1st liners: Mackinnon, Barkov, Jones(top 2 guy), Monahan
Likely to make it: Drouin
unsure: Lindholm

I never was sold on Lindholm like a lot of people were, i was high on Monahan since the subway series, he looked like a top 3 pick at the time to me.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
MacKinnon - Good 1st line C, elite 2nd line C
Barkov - Elite 1st line C
Jones - Elite top-2 d-man
Lindholm - Good 2nd liner
Monahan - Good 2nd line C
Drouin - Doesn't make it, will probably play 30-50 games with Tampa, gets traded and plays another 30-50 games with another team. Goes to Europe.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not sure Lindholm will upend Eric as the #1 center while the two are here, but he has the makings of, at the very least, being a top #2 center who's capable of possibly being a #1 on some teams.

Dtb1381

Dec 30, 2011
Boston
Drouin - Doesn't make it, will probably play 30-50 games with Tampa, gets traded and plays another 30-50 games with another team. Goes to Europe.

Although i hope that is the case, thats just not true. He could play effective 3rd line duty today for 20+ teams. Tampa just saw it as the better option to have him back in juniors for another year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

:laugh:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Although i hope that is the case, thats just not true. He could play effective 3rd line duty today for 20+ teams. Tampa just saw it as the better option to have him back in juniors for another year.

Why would you want an 18 year old kid to fail?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->