Speculation: Will the Detroit Red Wings be a powerhouse team again?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
No. This team is done.

Pack em up and move em to Seattle.

Dead Wings 2.0 is here, people.

Signs, signs, everywhere signs... everyone start cheering for a team that's made a lot of moves recently like Columbus, the Rangers, or Calgary -- hey, wait, don't they have that Hoodler guy?

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I dont think Detroit needs a full traditional rebuild. Our prospect pool does lack any of those "bonafide" elite prospects but it is very deep and talented group.

To get those sorts of prospects you essentially have to be very bad or be very bold
very bad= pittsburgh
very bold=boston and philly

I dont want to see Detroit become the next Edmonton of the West.

I just want to see KH take a bit more aggressive posture.

Through out an offer sheet

Be aggressive on the trade front for yong disgurntled higher end players(el nino anyone)

Make the tough decision before the aging player makes it for you. Do NOT resign Cleary or Miller, buyout CC and Eaves, waive Mursak and trade Quincey at this trade deadline for a pick(even IF we are a playoff team) and promote and play some youngsters in important roles(Nyquist, Tatar and Sheehan)

Turris. Wanted out of Phoenix; we should have been far more aggressive in going after that kid.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well money talks, detroit would be able to offer big time money

He can have the five million dollars Filppula wants. But what is the actual damage of trading for him, have to think even while their levarage is hurt Colorado would want a package that will make Wings fans cringe. Plus they wouldn't even do a straight trade for us with Quincey, you really think they will deal a guy they used to call a building block to the Wings. I know we don't view Colorado as a rival, but the Quincey handling made me think they still do in some ways.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The Blues have a lot of very good talent, outside of Alex Pietrangelo and Tarasenko not much of it is elite. Hard working absolutely, But Oshie, Backes and Perron are unlikely to be true superstars.

Pittsburgh has the same playoff track record as us since making back to back finals. The Hawks are coming off two first round knock outs. They both have a ton of elite talent, but have had problems bringing it every night and have pulled fades the last couple of years. When they are on they are tough to beat, but they aren't on top of their games nearly as much as people want to believe.

Chicago ran into cap hell and it obviously had a major impact on them. They were able to lock up their nucleus and have been able to get back up to speed with young talent like Leddy and Frolik.

Pittsburgh had to deal with injuries. No team has the depth to counteract injuries which we are all too familiar with. The thing is both Chicago and Pittsburgh have proven high end talent. Malkin and Crosby and Letang are going to very good for at least another decade. Same with Toews, Kane and Keith.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
At least not with a cap system like the one the NHL has.

Even with no cap in baseball the Yankees aren't always dominant. More spending doesn't always equal constant dominance.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
For how long do you think the mediocrity will last? It's been 3½ years already (09/10 season) of pure "meh".

Do you think they will need to re-build as many of the current powerhouse teams have done... Sucking, getting high draft picks etc?

How do you see this unfold?

I remember "a few" seasons ago and you could be 90% sure that the wings would win a certain game. Now they're more or less a .500 team. How the mighty have fallen :(

The answer is 2-3 years IF the Wings trade Datsyuk this season for top prospects or picks to jump start the rebuilding process.

Otherwise, the Wings will continue to slowly become more and more mediocre until, one season not long from now, they wake up and realize they're in the cellar.

Last edited:

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
I would like to see Nyquist-Filppula-Brunner as a line. Not the most physical, but so more scoring talent potential there, and with the speed of 3 young guys they would be able to get around the checks.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Even with no cap in baseball the Yankees aren't always dominant. More spending doesn't always equal constant dominance.

Bad example. Since 1995, the Yankees have made the postseason in every year but one (2008) in a sport where far fewer teams make the playoffs, and won 5 World Series while losing 2 other WS. They seem to be trending down lately, and still made it to 2 of the last 3 ALCS's. That's dominance.

In theory, you're correct that spending doesn't always lead to dominance, but it's helped keep NY in contention for almost 20 years.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
I know I'd like to see him come to Detroit, but I'm not too familiar with his situation. Does he actually want out of Colorado or are they just not agreeing on contract numbers?

Rumor was reported (by Garrioch, so grain of salt here) that Colorado was shopping him, probably because of contract disagreements.

Unless Stevie Y wants to help us again, I don't think Colorado wants to trade with Detroit. Too much bad blood there. They didn't even want to give us Quincey and he's horrible.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Only one team has won in the last 20 years without a top 15 payroll though. That would be the 04? 03? Cannot remember Marlins. They immediately sold off their talent to Boston and Detroit. So there is that. Not saying money means you will win, but in baseball if you don't have it you aren't going to have a good chance at all. So a 5% chance in the last 20 years. Now the other big spenders can knock you off, but a lot of people calling for the end of the salary cap and loving baseballs system during the lockout were overlooking that very hard fact. Just because one small payroll team makes runs and then gets sent home without the grand prize each year doesn't really make that system work either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad