Will the Czech Rep. vs Canada game be that close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Most people seem to be under the impression that the Canada/Czech Republic game is going to be a really close battle and an all around tight game.

The overwhelming opinion seems to be that it is for first place, or at least that was the thought at the start of the tournament.

But the Czech's lost to the Finns and NARROWLY upended the Swiss. These are both teams that Canada dominated.

I'm just curious, after seeing these results, is this going to be a close game? Or will it be a game similar to the Canada/Finland game where the score didn't really compare to the equity in play (in my opinion)?

I'm just curious to see what others think.

PEli*

The Canadians and Czechs match up pretty well. I think the deciding factor will be Canada's blueline and their ability to physically overpower forwards that are smaller than they are.

If Canada doesn't get into a hole quickly and their defensemen can play the game they like to play, I can see Canada winning by a couple of goals.

That said, the Czechs have just as good a shot as Canada and could take this game. It's Canada's game to lose and the Czechs will come out firing.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I've been giving the Czechs the benefit of the doubt until now. I don't think this team is coming together well and they certainly don't seem to be playing up to thier talent level. I felt Canada would win a tight game aginst them but now I'm pretty sure it won't be too tough for them.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
If that is the sentiment in the Canadian dressing room then likely it will be the opposite.

When you are a hockey power like Canada, and you think that the upcoming game may not be so tough, you will be surprised at how tough it will be. What team wouldn't be up for the game vs. Canada?

Unless Canada comes out with their A game, it will be closer than many expect.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Canada/Swiss game actually wasn't as big of a blowout as it looked, the Swiss did hang with them a lot of the game.

For this game, I'm almost exactly in agreement with what PEli said above.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Results in sports are NOT transitive. A beats B and B beats C does not mean that A lays an even bigger beating on C. Hell, look at today's Finland-Ukraine game. Finland won 14-1, the biggest margin of victory so far in the tournament, and scored more goals than their Canada or the Czech Republic did against Ukraine.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
PEli said:
The Canadians and Czechs match up pretty well. I think the deciding factor will be Canada's blueline and their ability to physically overpower forwards that are smaller than they are.

If Canada doesn't get into a hole quickly and their defensemen can play the game they like to play, I can see Canada winning by a couple of goals.

That said, the Czechs have just as good a shot as Canada and could take this game. It's Canada's game to lose and the Czechs will come out firing.

I agree. Canada by 2, say, 4-2.

But in the very plausible event Czechs are up by 1 it could be interesting. Will the Czechs protect their lead and second in Group B to avoid the USA or Russia? Or do they go for the bye; try to score and win Group B? Would/should Canada pull their Goalie? I would suggest they wouldn't.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Epsilon said:
Results in sports are NOT transitive. A beats B and B beats C does not mean that A lays an even bigger beating on C. Hell, look at today's Finland-Ukraine game. Finland won 14-1, the biggest margin of victory so far in the tournament, and scored more goals than their Canada or the Czech Republic did against Ukraine.

Of course they are not when it comes to details, and its not exactly what I'm trying to say, just sort of using it as a point to spark discussion on the topic.

However, this is a Czech team that had some hype, not tons, but still, and has quite simply not performed at all. Barely beating the Swiss (no offence to Switzerland but their hockey program is not quite yet among the elite although it is rapidly growing) is not a good way to demonstrate you are going to challenge a top hockey power with a fairly strong team.

I'm just wondering what others think on the topic. Of course, tomorrow's game will ultimately show, its just fun to speculate now. Personally I think Canada will win by 3 goals, quite possibly a shut out considering the strong defence and goaltending of Canada.

Which brings up another question about the game. How will the Czech defencemen contend with some of the big big boys of the Canadian forwards (Stewart, Getzlaf, Burns, etc)? No team yet has been able to handle them, can the Czech's defence step up, especially on Stewart who has truly been physically dominant so far?

BCCHL inactive

Mountie said:
But the Czech's lost to the Finns and NARROWLY upended the Swiss. These are both teams that Canada dominated.

I have a huge problem with this mentality. And the only reason I can give, is basically that it means absolutely nothing.

What happened between the Czechs, Fins and Swiss has nothing...absolutely nothing to do with what will happen between Canada and the Czechs tomorrow.

Don't think for one second that just because the teams we beat gave the Czechs a very rough time, means that Canada has a victory on the way.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Van said:
I have a huge problem with this mentality. And the only reason I can give, is basically that it means absolutely nothing.

What happened between the Czechs, Fins and Swiss has nothing...absolutely nothing to do with what will happen between Canada and the Czechs tomorrow.

Don't think for one second that just because the teams we beat gave the Czechs a very rough time, means that Canada has a victory on the way.

Fair enough, I totally understand that, and what I was saying was simply putting an idea out onto the table for discussion. Personally I agree with you, it doesn't have an impact on the game per se. Can it be an indication? It CAN, but only really of how teams play against other styles of teams, and like I emphasis, simply an indication, and the possibility of even that being not all that huge.

Personally I do think the game will be a win for Canada, I think the team is much stronger all around than the Czechs. BUt that's just my opinion. I am looking forward to the game tomorrow to see.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Van said:

So if you had to hazard a prediction, I assume you would base it on absolutely nothing; Because weak as the correlation might be, it's as good an indicator of how the teams are doing as we have.

BCCHL inactive

Crosbyfan said:
So if you had to hazard a prediction, I assume you would base it on absolutely nothing; Because weak as the correlation might be, it's as good an indicator of how the teams are doing as we have.

I base predictions on comparing the two teams on paper, and how I think they can fare against each other. That is as good as we can get. I could care less if Czechs lost to the same Finland team that Canada beat. It has nothing to do with what will happen tomorrow.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think Canada will pull this one out, but it will be close. The key will be how the Czech defense deals with the larger Canadian forwards. If they can do a decent job of nuetralizing those guys (not saying they will), they have a chance at victory. My prediction is a 4-1 victory for Canada, decided in the 3rd period.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
I think it'll be Canada by 2-3 goals. Not really a blowout, but not really close either. Czech can't hang with physical play, as long as Canada's big blueline can keep them scared and not allow them too much space it'll just be a matter of time for them to give up goals on bad turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->