Will the Coyotes pull some type of significant FA/Trade?

Will the Coyotes bring in a top 5 forward or top 3 D?

• Yes

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 39 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So this has been going around a lot, and I think with some signings and the Soderberg trade people are a little less gung ho than 3 weeks ago.

Will the Coyotes manage to trade for or sign a significant roster piece?

We're talking solidly top 5 forwards or solidly top 3 D here. No fringe cases.
(Yes 5 is intentional, the 6th guy is usually a fringe case)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I don't think we do anything because we would have to move the Hossa contract and I just don't see another team willing to take it. My guess is that we do something at the trade deadline that will be something big

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think we do anything because we would have to move the Hossa contract and I just don't see another team willing to take it. My guess is that we do something at the trade deadline that will be something big
I don’t think we do have to move Hossa. We can exceed the upper limit during the off season and LTIR him during the regular season.

However, I still don’t think we’ll do anything major. We’ll probably just re-sign Cousins on July 8th and that’ll be it for the summer.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Not that I don't like Cousins...but I do wish we would not resign him...I'm sure he's a good guy, but I'd rather give more opportunities to Garland/Merkley/Fischer especially now that we've got 6 C's on the team. (Schmaltz/Soderberg/Stepan/Dvorak/Gally/Richardson)

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
There are a couple schools of thought to this. The team could be ready to take the next step and could really use that type of player, or we could be just a little behind there and next year will be more appropriate (I haven't really compared this off-season to next to be fair). The other possibility is that this doesn't matter at all and is dependent on Meruelo coming in and because that won't be finalized until next month and after the main thrust of free agency. If that's the case we may have been interested, but Barroway is still paying the bills and would be holding the bag if it all falls through so he can't take that kind of risk. Thus, next year the purse strings could really open up simply because of the confidence in the money being available. Also, it's likely Chayka will argue more appropriately when the right time to use high end free agents is warranted.

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
I'm pretty happy with where the team is at right now. Realistically we should be a playoff team.

Next years UFA's look a little bit more exciting. However, if we can get Kessel, f***ing do it!

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I think we look at a value trade, perhaps a great player on a bad contract or a change of scenario piece. If the price is right. The good news is we are checking the clearance racks at Goodwill now, once the deal closes we can check the clearance racks at Macy's and Nordstrom's.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We damn well better. We haven't add any net goals to the lineup. We need to add about 50 goals to the lineup. We're already down about another 50 with the exits of Panik, Archibald, Cousins, Kempe, and likely Fischer. Now some of that will be replaced internally by the injured guys (Schmaltz, Grabner), rebounders and natural improvement (Keller, Garland), though others are going to be new injuries or slide back (Richardson). If we're lucky, Soderberg will replace Panik's goals.

TL;DR: If John Chayka doesn't add natural scoring then he has only himself to blame when we miss the playoffs (again) and he's fired next April.

Also do not hold off on making changes til next offseason. This has been said around here for the past 3 years. "Let's just make our move next summer". It's about time for that train to arrive.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I know Ferland plays a big heavy game and he had his best year last year, and it would be great to have him on the team, but I don't want to pay him $6M and have him be a 30pt guy.

If we could get him for $4M or less, I'm all for it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Anyone see the Kessel article in the Athletic.

There will not be a hockey trade for Kessel.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Also do not hold off on making changes til next offseason. This has been said around here for the past 3 years. "Let's just make our move next summer". It's about time for that train to arrive.

I think in the past that was about holding fire a bit till some prospects were maybe ready to turn a corner (or what happened in reality is we just shipped them all out lol). Now it seems the bigger problem is okay we want to make moves but can we afford it, will anyone be interested, and will our past usage of dead cap come to bite us in the ass?

Certainly the attempt to sign JVR was an example of the money issue just to a lesser extent.

I never really thought there would be because the Pens are just in too bad a negotiating position, but I figured they just wouldn't trade him. I think it's clear they REALLY REALLY want to though now :laugh:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Anyone see the Kessel article in the Athletic.

There may be, but it may for unwanted player/salary going the other way.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
We'll add a 50ish point player like Dzingel, Lee, Nyquist etc. Most likely through free agency but a trade wouldn't surprise me. I think it's debatable where they would fall between being the 5-7 forwards but I'm still gonna vote yes. We need more offense and adding one more guy who score 20+ is huge.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Previously, it has been "we have no cash". This year, it is "we have no cap". I don't know if the cash-thing actually has been changed, but with the cap-issues, it's suddenly a moot point. With Soda going in, I guess that's the one scorer added... and with the cap-space freed up in Colorado, they are probably gonna buy all the UFAs.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
nope. nada. squash. "Market wasn't right." "Cost of acquisition was too high." "Room for young players to improve." [insert your BS excuse here].

Reactions: _Del_ and RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Previously, it has been "we have no cash". This year, it is "we have no cap". I don't know if the cash-thing actually has been changed, but with the cap-issues, it's suddenly a moot point. With Soda going in, I guess that's the one scorer added... and with the cap-space freed up in Colorado, they are probably gonna buy all the UFAs.
Cash budget obviously increasing w new owner but we are talking about $3 M or so not $13M.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
We damn well better. We haven't add any net goals to the lineup. We need to add about 50 goals to the lineup. We're already down about another 50 with the exits of Panik, Archibald, Cousins, Kempe, and likely Fischer. Now some of that will be replaced internally by the injured guys (Schmaltz, Grabner), rebounders and natural improvement (Keller, Garland), though others are going to be new injuries or slide back (Richardson). If we're lucky, Soderberg will replace Panik's goals....

An additional 30 goals would put us in the middle of the league offensively. I think 15 or 20 can be made up with Soderberg, a full season of Schmaltz and Grabner, and maybe Keller playing better in his third season. That bookkeeping includes Richardson coming back down to 10 goals or so. We'd only need to add another 20-goal scorer rather than make a huge splash with a high-end winger. That's "Top 5" by Sniper's definition, barely, and I think it's going to happen.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Significant? I am expecting a free agent signing. And it probably be another 3rd-2nd liner (Mojo?). JC won't be part of a bidding war (not this off-season).
The significance is in the lack of 4th liners and the forwards are 2-way and responsible.

rt

May 13, 2004
We'll add a 50ish point player like Dzingel, Lee, Nyquist etc. Most likely through free agency but a trade wouldn't surprise me. I think it's debatable where they would fall between being the 5-7 forwards but I'm still gonna vote yes. We need more offense and adding one more guy who score 20+ is huge.
Those names would be great!

rt

May 13, 2004
Significant? I am expecting a free agent signing. And it probably be another 3rd-2nd liner (Mojo?). JC won't be part of a bidding war (not this off-season).
The significance is in the lack of 4th liners and the forwards are 2-way and responsible.
Oh I'll take MoJo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad