Will the Canucks make the playoffs next season?

Will the Canucks make the playoffs next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
No. If anything I could see them finishing with less points if they have a worse record in shootouts, I don't see them making any sort of aggressive move to drastically improve the team considering the person in charge of making said move.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I wrote No..because I have a feeling that genious Benning will still be here,tho he should be fired and thrown into the Pacific.. .and he will not get rid of guys like Schaller ,Spooner,Eriksson and the other crap he has brought to this team thinking he has made progress with a SMALL improvement in the standings,though he does not realize that what he has built is absolute crap again.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
We might be able to make playoffs if ABSOLUTELY nothing goes wrong, and I mean that in the most complete sense - not a single injury, all three kids continue to make progress, Edler Tanev holds the top line, and Hughes make huge strides forward.

The moment anything f***s up, this team will go down like a glider made of cinder block.

The more important way to answer this is: they MIGHT make playoffs, but they shouldn't aim for that. If we want the team to be a serious contender we need more young talents.

The priority of this team should be: fire Dim Jim, and hire someone who's not so deathly allergic of acquiring draft picks.

Reactions: Zombotron

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
As it stands, no we won't

But if we make big splashes in FA like Benning has suggested today and other times (hopefully we don't) we could have a playoff calibre team next season

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I didn't cast a vote (yet). Need to see what we do at the draft, free agency, and if we get rid of the worst valued contract in Canucks history - Eriksson.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
As it stands, no we won't

But if we make big splashes in FA like Benning has suggested today and other times (hopefully we don't) we could have a playoff calibre team next season

We f***ing shouldn't.

This is not a team ready to compete for long term cup runs, this team at best is a playoff bubble. We need more draft picks, more young talents, and significant upgrades to role players.

Reactions: bh53

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
We could if a bunch of things lined up like:

-The West suck again.
-Hughes having a Calder season.
-One of Madden/Woo/other prospect have an impressive pre-season and makes the team and contribute.
-Progression from Pettersson/Boeser/Horvat/Hutton/Stecher/etc.
-Juolevi making the team and looking decent.
-Baertschi and one of Edler/Tanev stay healthy.
-Markstrom beasts again.
-Sign a big UFA like Karlsson/Panarin. I wouldn't waste cap space on a Myers/Gardiner/Simmonds type UFA that will get paid and could mail it in, but they no doubt would help the team in the short term.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zombotron

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I legitimately think it's possible if the bottom 6 is cleaned up and they land one of the biggest fish in free agency. People always overestimate how long it takes to turn a roster around. Also greatly dependent on what Edmonton, SJ, Anaheim, Arizona and LA do.

This won't happen unless we at least get a new President.

Not going to answer this until September.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonnyNucker

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
We could if a bunch of things lined up like:

-The West suck again.
-Hughes having a Calder season.
-One of Madden/Woo/other prospect have an impressive pre-season and makes the team and contribute.
-Progression from Pettersson/Boeser/Horvat/Hutton/Stecher/etc.
-Juolevi making the team and looking decent.
-Baertschi and one of Edler/Tanev stay healthy.
Madden won't be here competiting for a roster spot due to him being an NCAA guy and I believe Woo has another year of junior I doubt he makes it next season.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Ask after the draft/FA

Lot's of things can happen - lottery win /trade /big FA

Panarin is a legit possibility with VAN/TOR being his desired destination among Canadian teams. Think he cares about the quality of the city as well and there's no better city than Vancouver.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes they will...The fact that we're set in goal is key...The Hughes effect alone will be big..,which means that the PP,and 3x3 will both improve...PK will be good...A healthy Brock Boeser out of camp.. .Other teams are regressing in our conference.

The Canucks lost so many games by a single goal this season..and overall had a good work ethic...I believe they will get over that hump this season,and kick it up a notch...

Also,there will be reinforcements this summer via UFA...tbd.

The only thing that could kibosh everything will be a brutal rash of simultaneous injuries (especially at the same position).

Last edited:
Reactions: Steely Van and Var

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As it stands, will they make the playoffs next season?

Yes or no?
I say no.
Anaheim I expect a rebound from them. Kesler on ltir and buyout with Eaves slows room for their forwards prospects to get more ice.
Coyotes came close with all of the injuries.
Edmonton, I don’t think so due to the mess that they are.
LA they need to retool that team.
Chicago has young forwards to support Kane and toews but their D needs help.
Minnesota is retooling.

Then which of the 8 who made it will fall off? I think Dallas is the most likely due to lack of scoring depth.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Madden won't be here competiting for a roster spot due to him being an NCAA guy and I believe Woo has another year of junior I doubt he makes it next season.

Maybe Madden/Woo join the team at the end of their seasons? I'm not holding my breath for prospects like Lind and Gadjovich, but maybe they'll show improvement at least. MacEwen is probably the best bet, although someone could surprise like McEneny, Chatfield, Jasek, Karlsson, etc.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
It's hard to see which of these other middling western teams are really poised to make a leap forward more than we are. We've got all of these younger guys that will continue to improve, plus the possibility of a FA. Even the team right now seems a lot better than the beginning of the year, with Gud/Pou being replaced with Hughes/Schenn and Pearson/Leivo having immediate impacts. Imagine what our team's record would've been if our end of year roster was with us all season...

Wouldn't be hard to argue that even without a FA pickup, we're looking very close to being the team that makes the jump. I'm voting yes to this because I'm think we'll also get some sort of FA pickup and that could put us over the top. With a team this young, you never know.

Now remember when making these predictions that everyone last year thought we were going to do much worse. We didn't underestimate them just because of EP, but also the improvements of Markstrom, Stetch, Hutton. It just seems easy to badly underestimate the improvement and impact of younger players.

The only signings I want are Edler and Markstrom and any modest term/price FA. I'd expect that if they're looking at high priced FA's, they'll be extremely careful not to create another Erikson situation. If any team is concerned about making a mistake like that, it's the team that has to watch him play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steely Van

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If the West remains bad. I say Yes

Also Canucks never missed the playoffs 5 years in a row.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
I think they will based on these optimistic predictions:

Markstrom continuing his strong play throughout next season and challenges for vezina finalists nomination
Pettersson starting and finishing where he left off before his knee injury middle of this season
Horvat improves to a 70 point player
Boeser scores 40
Gaudette and Virtanen stepping up in being solid 3rd line players
Quinn Hughes with a Calder type season
Edler re-signs and plays over 70 games
Roussel and Pearson both have 40 point seasons
Demko wins at least 10 games with Markstrom starting 65+ games
Green with coach of the year award

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Underlying statistics are rather consistent year to year.

With the same coach at the helm and what looks to be only one major piece added (being optimistic about Hughes). Unless they basically PDO our way into the playoffs, it ain't happening. With the likely event that the West won't be so open next year as it was this year, I'll predict they'll finish below what they finished this year.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I voted no. I think that it's possible to make moves that would get us there but I don't think the west will suck this badly again next season and I don't think that we'll get all the forward progression from our young players that we'll need to get there. I think we'll improve though, I feel like we'll sign a proper top-six winger so we can run a proper second line and that alone should be worth a few more regulation wins.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I think they will based on these optimistic predictions:

Markstrom continuing his strong play throughout next season and challenges for vezina finalists nomination
Pettersson starting and finishing where he left off before his knee injury middle of this season
Horvat improves to a 70 point player
Boeser scores 40
Gaudette and Virtanen stepping up in being solid 3rd line players
Quinn Hughes with a Calder type season
Edler re-signs and plays over 70 games
Roussel and Pearson both have 40 point seasons
Demko wins at least 10 games with Markstrom starting 65+ games
Green with coach of the year award

Yeah, no.

1273853108926142054.gif

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Unless the West is somehow just as bad, there’s no chance. Other teams can get better bounce back. Unless we make drastic changes in trade/free agency depth, there’s no chance.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->