Will the '08 Draft Hurt Defensemen's value in this year's draft?

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
Well, looking ahead to next year's draft - most of the lists I've seen have alot of defensemen in the top 10, plus a bunch of other names to look out for on the blueline.

Does anyone think this will affect some of the GMs' thinking for this year's draft, atleast for the first round picks?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Well, looking ahead to next year's draft - most of the lists I've seen have alot of defensemen in the top 10, plus a bunch of other names to look out for on the blueline.

Does anyone think this will affect some of the GMs' thinking for this year's draft, atleast for the first round picks?

best player available
best player available

say it together with me.....

best player available
Exactly. No scout/GM sets their draft list for the current year while
A. Looking at the current needs of the organization, or
B. Looking ahead to who is in next year's draft class.

In fact, I'll venture to say that few if any teams are even bothering to look at players who are draft eligible in 2008 because they're still focusing on the 2007 draft. Do you think any GM can say on April 17, 2007 that you'll finish in a given 5-7 pick range in the 2008 draft with any kind of certainty? Of course not - so planning a team's draft picks this year b/c you might be able to land someone next year makes absolutely no sense.

Who a team might be able to get in future drafts has absolutely no bearing on who they're going to take in this year's draft. None.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

Absolutely not. Any GM who knows what he is doing will take the best player available rather than drafting for need, especially in the early rounds.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
Absolutely not. Any GM who knows what he is doing will take the best player available rather than drafting for need, especially in the early rounds.

Well I agree you dont look at the other drafts, and yes the drafting is done alot accordingly to the best player available, but if there is a damn and a forward leftwho should be the next 2 picks, and both are very close as to wich is the better prospect, then if you have a big whole at a position you go for the fitting player.

If there is a fair margin between the 2 then forget the needs, best avail is taken...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad