Will teams look much different next season than they do now?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Because of what's happening in regards to the salary cap, I expect a fascinating offseason of player movement. I could honestly see most teams looking completely different starting next season, and the competitive field completely changing. Do you also anticipate there to be a lot of turnover?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I doubt it. The upcoming ufas and RFAs will just be the ones to suffer the most. Will certain teams have to move one or two players sure, but I doubt anything drastic happens for any team.

Reactions: joestevens29

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks will look different. Very likely no Tanev, Stecher, Tofoli, and (perhaps?) Markstrom.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think Buffalo might be changing their jerseys next year; hopefully it'll look better.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Rangers have a ton of changes coming. Fast is a goner, Strome, DeAngelo and Georgiev are RFA's. Who knows where the cap is going to come from. Staal, Smith and Lundqvist are buyout candidates/we might have to add a high pick or prospect to have somebody take them off our hands.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I dont really see there being too much of a difference... before covid hit, what were the rumors that the cap would go up? Like 5ish mill more? Give or take a bit more maybe...

I dunno, nothing much will change I dont think. Usually most teams make a head scratching signing or 2 in offseason so maybe this is a blessing in disguise so teams do do that this time around

One thing I do think will happen is teams rolling with a few cheap ELC guys from their AHL team that maybe arent quite NHL ready or lower end guys signing for league minimum

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
There will likely be less turnover than usual as there is less cap space to maneuver with than expected. Expect more static rosters year-over-year and a greater distribution of available cap space going towards RFAs. There will be a large squeeze on low-mid tier UFAs. Some will play for peanuts, others will retire or perhaps go overseas.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think Buffalo might be changing their jerseys next year; hopefully it'll look better.
Well they have already changed their GM and entire scouting department. I recommend they also change out the marketing, HR and finance departments. Total disappointment to a once storied franchise. f***ing CPAs.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Because of what's happening in regards to the salary cap, I expect a fascinating offseason of player movement. I could honestly see most teams looking completely different starting next season, and the competitive field completely changing. Do you also anticipate there to be a lot of turnover?

Taylor Hall is cursed man.
ARI is gonna win the 1st overall pick
He likely walks and somehow signs with a team that will miss the playoffs more than not while he is there.
Hall will likely lose 500k-750k a year on his next deal because of flat cap.

I think GM's will start to shift more towards youth and locking up young guys coming off their ELCs for the moon like recent past and UFAs nearing 30 will only see 5-6 year deals going forward.

For FLA, I hope we re-sign one of Dadonov/Hoffman but would love to see more of our youth make the team in next two years (Tippett, Denisenko, Borgstrom, Noel, Gildon, Ludvig, etc)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think the Pens are going to have more than the usual amount of turnover this summer. Might fast track a couple of younger players to fill a hole or two on the cheap.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
Canes are loaded with defensemen, I don't really care who's gone as long as Slavin, Pesce and Hamilton remain. Ideally Bean and Fleury will be a part of the opening day squad, perhaps Edmundson. Get rid of Gardiner, Skjei and Vatman, go after a good top-6 C with the remaining cap space. Move Trochek to wing and this team is ready to compete. One guy I'd like to see with the Canes is Conor Garland, but I doubt Arizona is willing to let him go.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Bruins might have to move on from Krug but that's about it.
Bruins and Avs are smart with their cap dollars and contracts. Could see those two coming out of this new Covid flat cap even stronger on the ice, while their closest rivals actually get weaker.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Bruins and Avs are smart with their cap dollars and contracts. Could see those two coming out of this new Covid flat cap even stronger on the ice, while their closest rivals actually get weaker.

There's still a chance they could keep him too depending on the offers he gets and if Chara retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad